What's new

panny s25s vs. toshiba 4900 (1 Viewer)

Mike Lee

Auditioning
which would you guys buy if both were similarly priced?
buying for a xmas gift for the in-laws...they only deserve the best :D

Panasonic DVD-S25S
Toshiba SD-4900

thanks!!

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I'm in the same boat for my sister who I haven't purchased her gift yet and she's coming over for new years day !!...Which one should I get for her (It needs to be progesive and will be used on a 50 inch HDTV).

AaronJB

Second Unit
While I have been a big fan of Panasonic products in the past (have a Panasonic TV, CD player, a couple of the old Panny DVD players - one of which, the A110, has lasted over 5 years at this point, another of which, an A320 - has lasted around 3 - and a Panny receiever), I do not particularly like the way that they have gone with their new line of DVD players, which, despite being cheaper, are also noticably more cheaply made. I have read several consumer reviews around the web with various issues with these players and questions about reliability. I watched a low-end Panny (may have been the 25) with a widescreen HDTV at an electronics store recently and despite that not being the best way to audition anything, I was not particularly pleased with the what I saw.

In other words, out of the two, I'd say go w/the Toshiba.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
The Toshiba has serious color problems, do NOT get that one. I have no idea about the Panasonic though.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Go with a JVC XV-N40BK,XV-N44SL or XV-N50BK,XV-N55SL instead of those. The JVCs have a $20 rebate offer so you can get them for under $80 easy.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I got her the Panny s25...didn't want the hassle of returning the JVC if it started stutering on her or if it got worse. Plus the review on CNET.com confirmed this.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
UPDATE: I auditioned the Panny s25 and returned it in less than 24 hours...I found it to be a bit "blurry"...and not tweakable at all.....So I got the JVC 50bk and right out of the box it was real good...I tweaked the settings on the player a little bit and now it's very respectable.:emoji_thumbsup:

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I told you! I had compared the Panasonic vs JVC months ago and the JVC won hands down. The "stutter" issue is very minor and overblown on the forums, hardly anyone will really notice it at all on most DVDs. All the under $100 players have some bad issues with them, all you can do is pick one where the "issue" is less bad than the others.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Don, I have to admit you're right..:emoji_thumbsup: thanks for the info.

(I had read somewhere that the stutter issue has been fixed, and if it happens there's a firmware upgrade. I think someone wrote that on Amazon.com)

Mason Y

Grip
Posted by Jeff W.

"The Toshiba has serious color problems, do NOT get that one. I have no idea about the Panasonic though."

Care to expand on this statement? What do u mean by color problems? Anywhere where I can find more info on this problem? I can't seem to find much info out there. Thanks!

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator
My Toshiba 4900 does not have CUE at least when its in progressive mode. I did the Toy Story menu test, and the image looked great, in interlaced mode though i think i saw a little of CUE, so all depends on how you'll be using your player if you'll see CUE.

My only question is, which is better, the SD4900 of the XV-N44SL.

Users who are viewing this thread