What's new

Panic Room: 3- disc Special Edition coming in March (1 Viewer)

Haden

Supporting Actor
I can't imagine what they could possibly fill up 3 discs with, unless there's like multiple cuts of the film in this set. The movie wasn't anything spectacular, and certainly not the best one Fincher has done. It's a shame we get a 3-disc special edition of THIS, but we still only have a barebones release of The Game. :frowning:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Maybe it's just the optimist in me, but I'll be happy to have any David Fincher film in a 3-disc set.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I, too, held off on the Superbit version in hopes of a SE somewhere down the line. Can't wait.

Debating if I should pick up The Game or wait for an SE of that one as well.

-paul

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I like how people post here and say essentially something like "How come this movie is coming out in a 3-disc set, it wasn't anything special, in fact I think it sucked, and whatever could they put about it on 3 DVDs?" :angry: I for one am happy about this news. Finally. I have the original release and will gladly upgrade. It was a great film, beautifully photographed, and really, how can a Fincher film be bad. I loved it and can't wait to get my hands on these 3 discs.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
3 discs is probably overkill (and I really liked the movie), but I'm sure glad I held off on the extras-free version. :emoji_thumbsup:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
It's not that much of an overkill, if you really think about it. The first disc will be just the movie with what looks to be 2 commentary tracks, probably at least 2 5.1 tracks, including DTS. So that's disc one. The second disc will probably contain a feature-length documentary and the third will have all the rest. Make sense to me.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I am probably quite in the minority here, but I will only purchase if the transfer is better than the Superbit! I talked about this in previous threads, but this should have looked better on DVD.

mckenzig

Grip
I found the Superbit of this title to be too dark and overly murky, so much so that I had difficulty seeing what was going on in some scenes. I was very disappointed in the transfer.
Cheers,
Grant

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

Totally agree. By coincidence I just watched the docu on "The Office" first season DVD and they made a good remark about the type of people who watch the extras (like the one they were doing) for things that there really isn't that much extra to say about. Like, this isn't a fanboy movie, nor does it have a long history in other media or in fact *any* historical background (like BHD), so *2 extra discs*??? Yes, I liked the movie, but IMO the transfer was lousy. I presumed they *had* to use Superbit because it would have looked execrable without it (all the darkness), but then I saw two later first releases that were SB's (you know the ones I mean) and they also looked IMO lousy. So, Craig's Rule: if a DVD is *first* released as a Superbit, don't buy it, the transfer will be lousy.

R. Kay

Second Unit
To fill up all 3 dvds for this film, every bad guy switched roles with the good guys.

Forest Whitaker plays Jodie Foster's ex-husband in the alternate version.

Confused the crap out of me. But hey, its 3 discs!

;)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
While Panic Room was a decent enough little thriller I don't think it really rates a 3 disk special edition. Oh well Fans enjoy it.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Funny, when the film was first released on DVD the majority seemed to complain that it didn't have any extras, and now the majority complains that it does. ;)

Chris

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Like I said, I really enjoy this movie. But 2 dics? I just don't want to watch 2 full disc of extras, 6 hours of material about how they attached the hose to the propane tank.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, tell me about it. I must say I don't like all the complaints that it doesn't deserve such a deluxe edition. There's a high level of snobbery in those posts that implies the writers can judge whether a movie's good enough. The quality of a DVD has NOTHING to do with the quality of a movie, and it's arrogant to judge a product like this. I wasn't wild about Panic Room, but I like Fincher, so I look forward to this set...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

People are just expressing their opinions - without which, this forum would be the equivalent of a ghost-town.

Noone is forcing us to purchase it of course, but some are just irked (myself included) that Columbia TriStar chooses to ignore doing anything special for some titles while other titles get special editions and constant re-releases.

I can't help but think of the crappy treatment CT gave the APU trilogy (as critically acclaimed as it is), while The New Guy (for example) now get's an unrated version. Nevermind that APU was barebones, did they have to release them with terrible transfers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks