What's new

Panasonic SC-BTT190, no Dolby 5.1 (1 Viewer)

RevvinKevin

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Olney
I recently bought an LG 42" LS575T and a Panasonic SC-BTT190 BluRay/Surround sound kit.
I've managed to get the TV and the Freeview box working through ALL external speakers no problem.
However, if I play a DVD with DTS or THX I can get sound out of all speakers. If I play a DVD with Dolby it only plays through the front speakers.
I've not tried a BluRay disc yet.
I've tried checking on the internet what I need to do but people get bogged down in technical jargon and I can't fathom what they are on about. Also the manual is written in complete gobbledegook.
I've not got a great deal of hair left but the little I have is now getting torn out in chunks.
So, in simple terms, what do I need to change, set, switch or hit to get a DVD to play through all speakers as it is supposed to.
Thanks in advance.
Kevin

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Press the green surround button. Since it is a craptastic HTiB it probably isn't smart enough to change its own sound modes.

RevvinKevin

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Olney
Thanks for that but I've pressed the surround button, I can see the display change from 2channel to surround but still nothing comes out of the rear speakers.
If I press the option button while a DVD is playing I can access the sound controls but these only say something like ENG 1
There is no reference to Dolby being available, however when a DTS one is playing DTS shows in the drop down menu.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not downloading the manual for that, but...
Sounds like you haven''t set it up for "what to do for 5.1 Dolby Digital"...

RevvinKevin

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Olney
It looks like I've sorted it. I messed around with the audio settings.
I changed Digital Audio Output from bitstream to PCM and changed BD-Video Secondary Audio to Off.
Dolby DVDs and DTS DVDs now play through all speakers.
Thanks for responding anyway, much appreciated.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by RevvinKevin /t/325892/panasonic-sc-btt190-no-dolby-5-1#post_4011861
It looks like I've sorted it. I messed around with the audio settings.
I changed Digital Audio Output from bitstream to PCM and changed BD-Video Secondary Audio to Off.
Dolby DVDs and DTS DVDs now play through all speakers.
Thanks for responding anyway, much appreciated.

Just for giggles, leave "secondary audio" set to "off" but change PCM back to Bitstream and see if that still works.

When secondary audio is turned on, the player "mixes" audio from the player menus (button clicks and such) as well as some audio commentary tracks in with the main program audio. The players aren't always able to preserve the Dolby encoding when doing this mixing, which is probably why you were having problems.

If Bitstream and secondary audio set to off still results in problems, then by all means leave the audio output set to PCM.

RevvinKevin

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Olney
Thanks Jason, next time I'm in the mood to get frustrated I'll try it.
For now, provided all discs I throw at the player come out of all speakers and things appear to fly past my ears I'm happy. :)
Next stop, try a BluRay disc..........

lanshan75

Auditioning
Real Name
minmin
Very glad to meet everybody here,I am just a new member of this forum,I want to make more friends here,I hope you can like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks