What's new

Panasonic PT-AE900U Questions (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Dave Rinker
We just got a Panasonic PT-AE900U projector as our "family" gift this Christmas. We used it last night for the first time using a 119" dia. DIY screen and were stunned by the picture quality.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Questions:
1) We currently have the projector 24' from the screen on a desktop. If I move the projector closer to the screen and readjust (desktop or ceiling) would this improve the brightness even more and reduce the wear on the lamp. We had the lamp setting on "high" last night, but the manual suggests the "low" setting for narrow rooms. Our room is narrow (10') X 24' long.

2) Would it hurt by hooking a Playstation video game up to it? I had read images sometimes could burn in and harm the projector.

3) Should I always turn off the projector not only with the power button, but also using the main power rocker switch on the back of the unit? Or is it recommended that the main power switch remain on? If ceiling mounted, how will the main power be turned off if necessary?

Thank you guys! I will greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions. Until then, I will be enjoying my new projector.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. I have my 900U on a shelf about 22' from my 103" screen. With the lamp on low, it is more than bright enough. Is your room completely dark?
2. It's an LCD projector. They aren't succeptible to burn in.
3. I power it off via the remote. That's it. Same concept as a computer's power supply. The only time I switch it off is when I'm working on it.

-Robert

Real Name
Dave Rinker
Robert, thank you so much for the information you provided. I will from now on only turn off the back power switch when working on it. My room is dark and there are no windows, so I will try setting the lamp to low as well. I believe I will also place the projector on a shelf instead of ceiling mounting it. This will make it easier to run wires and provide a safe "home" for it. Also, this allows me to save $150 that can instead go towards something else within my home theater.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I could do a shelf as a permanent mount but I'm worried about wall vibrations. I was testing some DIY subs and I made the walls flex enough to make a squeeking noise. I think a ceiling mount may work out better for me.

-Robert

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Welcome to the wonderful world of projectors in the home! It's a marvelous feeling - particularly if you can avoid the whole "should I have spent that $xxxx on a toy?" thing that I periodically get. Sorry, I'm just cheap, and sometimes I'm so cheap it hurts.

I don't have the 900, but I have it's older brother (by about, what, 5 years now?! Sheesh!) Leave the rocker switch on. The only time I turn mine off is (a) service, and (b) when the power goes out when I'm watching a film, 'cause mine'll auto-restart as soon as the power comes back - no matter how long it's been. (What if I've gone to bed?) Likewise, a few months ago, we had the power go off in a wind storm, and it was bouncing up and down quite a lot. Easiest thing was to just "kill" the projector and not have to worry.

Mine's been shelf-mounted for quite some time. It moves around a bit - mostly putting the lens cap on. No big deal; it's secured up there so it can't really go anywhere. Just periodically, I have to re-position it to point at the center of the screen.

On lamps. High brightness'll probably give you the best contrast (I think that the dynamic iris works best in the high brightness mode, but again, I don't have a 900,) but low brightness'll definitely extend the lamp life.

Second bit on lamps. The worst thing to do to a lamp is to start it. The second worse thing to do is to turn it off. My theory is, if I need to stop and do something for a few minutes, just pause the DVD player. If I need to go away from the projector for about half an hour, I'll probably turn it off then. Twenty minutes; I'll leave it on.

Above all else, enjoy!

edit: or, in the immortal words of Duke Ellington, "if it sounds good, it is good."

Leo

Real Name
Dave Rinker
Thank you Leo. You mentioned something that I had been wondering about...the lens cap. Placing it back on after a movie upsets the focus and needs to be readjusted everytime. Not putting it on may cause dust build-up. So, do you keep it off or place it on after every time you use the projector?

I love the PT-AE900U projector. I watched Gomer Pyle USMC last night in B&W and the picture was amazing. Plus, I am not even using my new Panasonic up-converter DVD player yet. This is the best thing I have ever purchased.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It takes practice but you can put the lens cap back on without changing the focus. I have to since I have four cats and the lens gets "fuzzy" when not covered. If it does get dirty, I clean it with the same lint free cloths I use on my glasses.

-Robert

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
If the lens is in easy reach, I put it on. At work, in a high dust environment, well, we try and blow off the front-piece on occassion (can of air - being careful not to blow propellent onto the lens.)

And, as Robert pointed out, with practice, you should be able to get to where you can do it without altering the aim or focus.

As an aside, I don't remember how the front of the 900 looks. With my projector, where the lens is mounted, I notched away the shelf so that I can actually get directly to the lens without having to reach around the shelf.

Secondary side note - my projector wasn't really designed for upside-down shelf mounting - its own weight would push the buttons. I shimmed the projector with four stacks of 5-6 business cards to resolve that issue.

Leo

Real Name
Dave Rinker
Thank you guys for your help. Just to be safe and to help extend the life of my projector (since I do have a cat), I will try to get into the practice of putting on the lens cap after each use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks