What's new

Panasonic PT-AE700U (1 Viewer)

VinS

Auditioning
Alright, I've been enjoying the high res details of HDTV for over a year now and I love it. The problem, I have a 30" Philips HDTV. I love the TV but I just think it's not big enough anymore. I've been researching for the last few days to try and get an idea for when I get ready to purchase a projector and the Panasonic PT-AE700U seems to get top reviews. I just have a few questions that I would like for anyone to answer before I drop a couple grand...

1) Compared to a plasma screen (with exception of the obvious size difference) how does this projector stand up in image quality?? I'm particularly interested in high speed motion such as sporting events and video games like on a PS2, etc

2) These projectors aren't cheap to begin with but how much does a replacement lamp cost and what is the expected life span of a lamp?

Newegg.com offers this projector for $1960, they are a great company to order from but I have concerns about there only being a 1 yr manuf. warranty. If anyone has recommendations for a similar, hopefully cheaper, with a better warranty projector let me know. I've noticed the Sanyo Z3 is comparable. Thanks in advance

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Bulb is about $300 ... rated life is up to 5000 hours

I've know people who have gone to 4500 hr with this bulb in the older Panny LCD units. Same bulb.

Some others when to 1300 hr before it went. Life depends on how you use it and how well it is ventilated.

regards

Chris Brock

Second Unit
greetings! I can chime in on the picture quality. I have a AE700 projecting onto a 110" Carada screen. I have a few friends that work at both Circuit City and Best Buy and they have both said with 100% certainty that the PQ I have with this setup is as good as any display they carry. So I would say that you arent going to be hurting yourself in the PQ area by going with the AE700 or another comparable projector such as the Z3.

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
Being a new 700U owner I would also like to say that I could not in any way be happier with my projector. I also know where you can get an extended warranty if you are interested 99.00 for 2 years (mack warranty ). So what are you waiting for go get that thing.

:)

VinS

Auditioning
First off, thanks for the replys.

Second, MikeMon: where can you get the 2 year warranty? and can you purchase the projector through another vendor and still get it?

Third, Does anyone have any experience with the 700U and video game systems like the PS2?

Appreciate it

VinS

Auditioning
I just noticed that the 700U comes with a 3 year warranty according to Newegg.com. Can you get that 2 year as an extension of that 3 year for a total of 5?!?!? That would be an excellent deal.

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.mackcam.com/warranty.html

I am pretty sure you can get it regardless of who you buy it from, its a panasonic approved extended warranty. You should call them to be sure. Worst case I can give you the info for the store I bought my 700u from (located in NJ I believe) There the best people to deal with and they even cod if its in your favor.

No experience with the ps2 yet since I am still working on the room nothing is permanently mounted yet.

Good luck, and trust me there is no way you will be disappointed.

:)

You can extend the warranty any time I thik as long as you do not let it run out. Be sure you check on thet though I thnk I only got a 1 year parts and 90 day lamp??

Chris Brock

Second Unit
I have my Xbox hooked up to mine right now and it is awesome. It really makes a difference in game play. Games such as Halo and Forza Motorshports really make you feel like you are in the game when you are watching such a large screen.

trevis_h

Auditioning
The replacement lamp is $350 US from an online store (cheapest I've seen online). Thay rate them at 2000 hours and the unit will not function once you hit the 3000 hour mark. You must reset the lamp counter and risk having the lamp blow up in your projector.

It's better to change it out at 2000 to 3000 hours, or when the light output is dimminished so much that you can't stand it anymore.

You can get lamps off ebay, new with warranty for cheaper than the $350 US.

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
Can anybody comment on the blacks on this projector... I currently have an AE500 and am less than happy with blacks and dust blobs.....don't talk to me about dust blobs!

frankinG

Stunt Coordinator
richard... I have a panny 700 with a fairly expensive draper 106" onyx model with a 1.3 gain surface. I have read time and time again about the compromises most of the forum members make about screen choices. My black levels are very good in my opinion with my projector calibrated and total light control. Every projector I have had including high end dlp models have had dark grey letterbox bars and solid black picture information. The panny 700 has more than acceptable black reproduction but a proper screen and good light control are essential. My picture quality is very comparable to more expensive dlp units that I have owned in the past and you will be more than satisfied if you decide to go this route.

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
That's great news - Exactly what I wanted to hear! Have you personally encountered any dust blob problems, have Panasonic ironed this problem out for this generation? They plauge my AE500....

frankinG

Stunt Coordinator
richard; I have owned my projector (one of three I own) for over a year now and have logged over 800 hours on it. I run it in low lamp mode most of the time unless I have some special programing which looks better with the projector set to high mode for a little better brightness. I have not encountered any dust spotting at all. I clean my filter every 100 to 150 hours, but this will depend on how clean the room is where the unit will be operating. I have had nothing but satisfactory results with my projector since day one. For 2000$ the panny is one fine projector for the money. This is coming from someone who owns high end single chip dlp units. There is always better but it will cost you plenty more. I also love the sanyo z3 but the panny has some features on it that I feel has a little more interest to me personaly.

Light output in a light controled room with at least a 1.3 gain screen or a little higher is very good. There are a lot of calibration tweaks for this projector as well as proven recomended settings for optimal picture quality. Let your eyes be the final judge as to what you like for picture performance. I have spent considerable time with this unit with different dvd players and connections. Let us know.;)

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I bought the AE700 two or three months ago. I also bought a filter as recommended on the AVS forums to improve contrast.

It's a step up from the AE500, but not as big a step as I'd hoped - until I used the filter. Finally films like Se7en are actually ok to watch.

For now I'm sticking with the screen I made - to many gadgets to buy with the Xbox 360 just around the corner.;)

I did get one dust blob though - about 70 hours in...

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Richard I think the panny does a fantastic job... Anyway I do not use a filter myself however now you have me curious what is it and what does it do and lastly where can I get one????

thanks
Mike

HA.. you beet me to the punch RobertS......

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
It's all here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=700+filters

The filter as recommended by the AVS forums is a 77mm B&W 81EF filter. It simply screws directly onto the front of the projector. The above thread also has some recommended settings, which is what I used. Really makes a massive difference - literally night and day!

I bought mine from a supplier in the UK (where I'm based) but the thread mentions other US supplier - Best £40 upgrade I've ever spent!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks