What's new

Panasonic PT-47WX49 Available (1 Viewer)

Another problem with this tv is the fact that the color temp at the warm setting is NO WHERE NEAR D6500.
This is a Panasonic tradition, and it looks terrible if you can view it side by side with another projector that is closer to D6500. The Panasonic looks like D10000 OR D11000,
it is a BLUE MONSTER.
The picture on dvd is very sharp though, but the SVM and one memory and primative convergence adjustment have made me want to wait for the Toshiba.
I am interested in the Toshiba 50HX81 (the cinema series version). This one has the better remote (compared to the 50H81 that goes back to the old style one that I don't like)amongst other advantages.
I just saw the first color pictures of the new Toshiba line onLink Removed the cabinet on the new Toshiba's looks nice.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For people contemplating this set:
The U.S. version ending with WX49 does not come with the reflective screen. Only the WX51 (scheduled to be released later in the summer for $100 more, will.
Yes, Panny sets are nowhere near 6500K. In truth, very few manufacturers are. So basically you're going to have to spend $400 for ISF calibration on most any set, they are all pretty bad coming out of the box--just different gradations of bad.
I'm still hopeful the SVM can be disabled, will wait for JohnnyG or Michael_TLV to definitively say yes or no. Red push may be able to be fixed in the service menu, we'll see.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The colour temp. of the PT-51HX41 that I have here in the store (basically identical to the 47" inside) was indeed crazy-high out of the box, going as high as 12,000k at some points. However, it tracked beautifully once calibrated - better than Toshiba.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Ashwan

Grip
Well, as I said at the beginning of this topic, the set we have in our store is great! So good, in fact I've got an order in for one myself. We carry Toshiba also, but I knew this was the one. As for the SVM and Red Push, I don't notice them that much, and I'm sure if I get the service manual I can take care of it. We got ours hooked up to an RP91 now, the combination creates a beautiful image for movies. Massimo, I'm sorry to hear about your decision to return, but for the rest of you I still recommend it.
-AJ

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay, finding this thread was a travail, but here's my thoughts:
Got the 47" today in the house. All I did was calibrate by AVIA since the service manual won't arrive until Friday or later. I have it hooked up to a Sony 560D player.
1. Red push on my set was only about 10% using AVIA's color decoder check. An annoyance, but one I can live with. I'm using the "normal" color setting, not warm or cool. I have turned off that flesh enhancement whatsitcalled--natural tone or something?
2. Overscan is very bad, like 5% on the left, 7% on top and bottom, and probably 10% or more on the right. Don't know why.
3. Convergence was horrible coming out of the box. Had to set it using the 9pt convergence and the bottom far corners still drift a little. Hope the 64 pt. service menu convergence will be able to help, but the 9pt did an okay job as far as watchability.
4. Here's the weird one: on the 10, 20 and 30 IRE fields of grey in AVIA, using COMPONENT 2 input (since I don't have 480p out on my Sony component outputs) there is like a static thingie happening. Like snow/static on a bad reception day, except the snow/static is not white, but a lighter and darker shade of the IRE color field. I've now tried 2 sets of cables, Monster Video 3 Component and standard RCAs, both yield the same result. When I switch to S-Video, the anomaly disappears. So is this a problem with the TV? Component input? DVD player? I am going to try to borrow someone else's DVD player but I don't know anyone who owns a progressive player.
5. Picture and Brightness had to be backed off a lot, brightness down to about 26, picture to like 12, color in the 40's and tint in the 20's. Of course when I do the red push setting in the service menu these will all change again.
6. Does anyone get Convergence 1? with the green crosshairs from across the screen? I don't know what I'm shooting for there, the instructions aren't real clear.
Overall I'm happy with the set. I got it for around $1600 USD (know the dealer so I got a good deal) and I don't think for the money I could get a set anywhere near this nice. After basic calibration I would say this set is running between 75%-80% capacity. Out of the box it was probably around 55%-60%. If I can disable SVM, fix the red push, and figure out the static thingie on my Component inputs it'll raise the score to about 90%. The last 10% will be to get an ISF guy out here and get the greyscale to 6500K.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
To anyone who has this set and is running a 480 interlaced DVD player into it, how is the performance of the internal line-doubler? My primary video sources will be a Sony DVP-C660 (Component interlaced output) a Pioneer CLD-704 laserdisc player, and a JVC S-VHS deck, as well as the occasional program off of Cable (which is none too clean in my area).
I am looking at forming a long term plan to purchase a HDTV around December-January, and the PT-47WX49 is a strong contender, assuming the red push is fixable (it is), the line-doubling capability is up to snuff (not expecting spectacular performance, am willing to live with the occasional jaggie), and hopefully, the SVM can be disabled.
Oh, second question.
Assuming the SVM CAN'T be disabled, how strong is the effect on this set? I had a Sony direct-view that had atrocious SVM, distorting all manner of diagonal lines and even displacing sections of straight lines within on-screen text! (shudder).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
John,
The internal line doubler is, to my eyes, pretty good. I'm using the Sony 560D through S-Video and it looks like the set is doing some sort of 3:2 pulldown because I don't get the interlaced motion artifacts I've seen on interlaced sets.
I'm getting the RP91 for in-home trial from my dealer this weekend and will be doing an A/B with 10 discs I'm borrowing from my friend (so I can sync them up with my discs and just switch inputs). Will let you know how that goes.
Not an expert on SVM so I don't know what to look for. But after convergence (Fine, 64pt from the service menu took 3 hours!) and initial AVIA calibration the set is looking sweet.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Jeff Leigh

Agent
The internal line doubler is pretty good and does do 3:2 pulldown. Of course the one in the RP91 is better, but not dramatically so. You only notice the affects in large areas of moving diagonal lines.
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jeff. I figure the RP91 will be a keeper for me (line doubler/3:2 pulldown being nearly equal) for the following reasons:
1. Scaling non-anamorphic DVDs, I've heard it does a great job, but the PT-47 is not bad either (but can't use prog. out because it locks in full).
2. Improved overall picture - this we'll have to see for ourselves.
3. DVD-Audio
4. No chroma error
5. Component out works (with my Sony it gives staticky interference in 10, 20 and 30 IRE fields, the RP91 will show if it's the TV inputs or the DVD outputs that are the culprit).
------------------

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys. Now I await word on the SVM battle. Perhaps I will send an e-mail of my own to Panasonic. I don't expect immediate gratification on the issue, but with enough pressure, and enough time...
At the very least, they'll be made aware that SVM is NOT a "feature" (not in the positive sense anyway).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Andriy, the set has 6 inputs total, 2 are component HD inputs, the other four accept S-video or composite. One of those four is located on the front of the set.
------------------

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
How do you access the service menu and 64 pt. convergence grid?
Is there a way to turn off each individual gun?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Brian, do yourself a favor and order the Service Manual from Panasonic. It's only $13 shipped and it gets to you in a week or less.
That's where the 64pt convergence is. I'm not sure if you can turn off the individual guns per se, but you can call up convergence grids that only have one color showing. A convergence grid is also available from Panasonic (the part # is in the service manual). If you have this set, it's the best $13 you can spend.
------------------

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Fantastic thread. I am close to buying this set if my Sony cannot be fixed by Sears
frown.gif
(check out the thread I'll post later in manufacture feedback), but I have two questions on this Panny...
#1. Can the top half of the set (the screen) be removed from the bottom stand? At 49" high, 45" wide and 25" deep, I have about 1.5 to 3 inches clearance an each side into my apartment. And it has to be moved up a flight of stairs where there will be very little clearance (1" to 3"). If the set can be broken into two pieces, like some RPTV's can, I will be just fine. If not, the delivery people are going to shoot me.
2. I have read that PAL DVDs can be played on this set. True or False? If true, my millennium would be made.
One more question: 12month /12 month warranty, or 12 month/90 day?
Thanks!
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on July 25, 2001 at 08:58 PM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, the "authorized" service dude came out yesterday to look at the set (snow on prog. signal). I guess I shouldn't have expected much when I kept showing him the problem (which he clearly saw) but then he kept asking "What movie is this?" Then he started saying things like "Gee, you got a lot of movies I never seen..."
He was more intent on watching the movies than fixing my set!
angry.gif

I was so disheartened when he left simply saying "we'll have to call Panasonic and get back to you" that I called Panasonic myself. The guy I got was helpful, and he said that since the auth. repair shop will make a claim for this set, Panasonic won't pay anyone else. So he (Panny rep) is going to call the auth. shop and tell them what to look for. If they can't diagnose or repair it, I'm just going to ask my dealer for a straight replacement set.
Still, the deinterlacer and 3:2 circuitry on the set is amazing, since I'm watching interlaced out on my DVD player and it looks as good as a progressive player!
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just got a call from the company--Panasonic says that my A board will have to be replaced and a convergence realignment needs to be done. I OK'd it (since it doesn't invalidate the warranty or my claim for return if it doesn't work) and they'll be in touch with me on Monday to arrange for the repair.
Unfortunately it sounds like they're sending the same guy out, which kind of worries me. I'll just have to not show him any movies, I guess.
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't know, Matt, as I don't have PAL materials. Although Brett's site is pretty reliable and informative. If he says it's good to go, I'd believe him.
------------------

Brett W

Agent
What a couple of weeks I have just had - busy or what?!!! Anyway, I finally was able to update my own site (http://change.to/panasonic
I have been playing PAL Playstation games on this set with no problem, my Sony Trinitron could _not_ display these same games. The bottom is cut off by about an inch, but that's yer lot when it comes to problems with PAL input.
My mate is coming over from the UK in late August and will bring some PAL DVDs with him, that will be the first time I can test PAL film material - but it looks to be a very good possibility though judging from my Playstation experiences.
As a side note I have posted some SVM stuff over at my site thanks to a guy who e-mailed me for the tips.
Well I am off now, not to return til Sunday sometime. Have a good weekend folks, Brett

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks