1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Panasonic DMR-80 DVD Recorder Help!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bob Lovallo, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Bob Lovallo

Bob Lovallo Member

I just received my Panasonic DMR-E80 and need help setting up! I have the S-Video Out to Receiver and Optical Audio Out to receiver. (From the panny e-80) The receiver is hooked up via S-Video to my Direct tV and Television. I am able to play back a DVD with sound but unable to set tuner to record off Direct TV! I get fuzzy picture when I try to play back a recording to hard drive. In the auto setup, it says if you have a cable box tune to PBS?

I would appreciate any help in the initial hooking up and anxious to playback a recorded show.

Thanks,

Bob

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

From your description, it appears that you've made all the right connections to get the image and sound from the DMR-E80 to the receiver. But there don't appear to be any connections to get a signal from DirecTV to the DMR-80. I don't have DirecTV, so I can't give specific advice, but there should be outputs from your DirecTV receiver to allow connection to devices in addition to your TV. (I would advise not going through the receiver for these connections.) Remember that you need to connect for both audio and video.

Ignore the PBS suggestion. I have a cable box and connected my DMR-80 without ever once switching to PBS. [​IMG]

M.

3. Bob Lovallo

Bob Lovallo Member

Thanks for the quick response.

Since I use my receiver to switch between TV, DVD, CD, etc, can I still somehow use my existing hookup. When I had my regular DVD player I just had to turn the receiver to DVD mode to play. I had my home theater setup by an AV guy so there are many wires going from TV to Direct TV and receiver. Hopefully I can just easily redirect my wiring to get the new recoder to work with existing setup!

Thanks,

Bob

4. Michael Reuben

5. Bob Lovallo

Bob Lovallo Member

Since I have my s-video going from the back of receiver for all switches and direct tv, and TV do I need a splitter or something from Radio Shack to somehow go to my DVD recorder?

Thanks,

Bob

6. Michael Reuben

I have no idea what you need. Every layout is different, and there isn't nearly enough detail here for anyone to make a meaningful recommendation. All I can do it outline the concept -- you have to get audio and video signals from your DirecTV device to your DMR-E80.

If you're not sure how your existing wiring is laid out, then you may want to consider calling back the A/V guy who did the wiring.

M.

7. Bob Lovallo

Bob Lovallo Member

Thanks,

I appreciate all of your help!

Bob

8. Dave Ringkor

Dave Ringkor Well-Known Member

I basically hooked up my E80 as a drop-in replacement for my SVHS VCR. I used the same audio L/R and S-video cables in and out. Since I'm not using the E80 to play DVDs (I have a dedicated player for that), I haven't hooked up its digital audio or component outs. And since the only thing the VCR will be used for henceforth is to play VHS tapes and dub VHS tapes to DVD, I've just hooked the VCR directly to the L3 input on the E80.

9. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

10. Bob Lovallo

Bob Lovallo Member

I just got back from Radio Shack. The guy mentioned I can use a a/v convertor box with s-video inputs and an s-video output to split signal from direct tv and dvd recorder. Does this sound correct?

Thanks,

Bob

11. Michael Reuben

12. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

13. DustinLC

DustinLC Well-Known Member

I have direct TV and the DMR-HS2 (same as the E80 with 40GB less).

I have my s-video go from SAT receiver to the recorder and select input L1 (L2 or L3 depends on where you input the S-Video) and all is well. Tuner doesn't work unless you have regular cable.

Oh, edit to add that if you want to record:

Set your programs on your SAT receiver. Then set your timer on your E80 (don't forget to have it in L1 in the program if that is where your S-Video is coming in).

I know it's a hassle to set two seperate timers, but it's the only way. I heard that there are modification you can do to your machine so that the SAT receiver can send IR signals to the recorder and starts recording like it can with VCR. I haven't look into it and has no plan too. I'm happy with my setup.

I'll actually be buying the E80 for my bedroom soon.

14. Michael Reuben

15. DustinLC

16. Michael Reuben

17. DustinLC

18. Michael Reuben

19. DustinLC

Thanks for the correction.

Then how do you differentiate this type of analog connection with other types?

20. Michael Reuben