What's new

Panasonic DMR-80 DVD Recorder Help! (1 Viewer)

I just received my Panasonic DMR-E80 and need help setting up! I have the S-Video Out to Receiver and Optical Audio Out to receiver. (From the panny e-80) The receiver is hooked up via S-Video to my Direct tV and Television. I am able to play back a DVD with sound but unable to set tuner to record off Direct TV! I get fuzzy picture when I try to play back a recording to hard drive. In the auto setup, it says if you have a cable box tune to PBS?

I would appreciate any help in the initial hooking up and anxious to playback a recorded show.

Thanks,

Bob

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
From your description, it appears that you've made all the right connections to get the image and sound from the DMR-E80 to the receiver. But there don't appear to be any connections to get a signal from DirecTV to the DMR-80. I don't have DirecTV, so I can't give specific advice, but there should be outputs from your DirecTV receiver to allow connection to devices in addition to your TV. (I would advise not going through the receiver for these connections.) Remember that you need to connect for both audio and video.

Ignore the PBS suggestion. I have a cable box and connected my DMR-80 without ever once switching to PBS. :)

M.

Thanks for the quick response.

Since I use my receiver to switch between TV, DVD, CD, etc, can I still somehow use my existing hookup. When I had my regular DVD player I just had to turn the receiver to DVD mode to play. I had my home theater setup by an AV guy so there are many wires going from TV to Direct TV and receiver. Hopefully I can just easily redirect my wiring to get the new recoder to work with existing setup!

Thanks,

Bob

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Since I use my receiver to switch between TV, DVD, CD, etc, can I still somehow use my existing hookup.
Yes, but it appears from your description that your existing hookup was designed for playback only. Now you need an additional hookup for recording as well. It's an entirely new set of wires. You can't just "redirect" an existing connection.

M.

Since I have my s-video going from the back of receiver for all switches and direct tv, and TV do I need a splitter or something from Radio Shack to somehow go to my DVD recorder?

Thanks,

Bob

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have no idea what you need. Every layout is different, and there isn't nearly enough detail here for anyone to make a meaningful recommendation. All I can do it outline the concept -- you have to get audio and video signals from your DirecTV device to your DMR-E80.

If you're not sure how your existing wiring is laid out, then you may want to consider calling back the A/V guy who did the wiring.

M.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
I basically hooked up my E80 as a drop-in replacement for my SVHS VCR. I used the same audio L/R and S-video cables in and out. Since I'm not using the E80 to play DVDs (I have a dedicated player for that), I haven't hooked up its digital audio or component outs. And since the only thing the VCR will be used for henceforth is to play VHS tapes and dub VHS tapes to DVD, I've just hooked the VCR directly to the L3 input on the E80.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
And since the only thing the VCR will be used for henceforth is to play VHS tapes and dub VHS tapes to DVD, I've just hooked the VCR directly to the L3 input on the E80.
Will this present a problem if you attempt to play a pre-recorded VHS tape with Macrovision copy protection? I'm planning on ordering a E80 within a few weeks, and I was planning on using a similar setup to Dave Ringkor's, since I have a separate progressive scan DVD player for playback and rarely use my VCR now.

The benefits to Dave's setup are (1) less cost since there is no need for component video or digital audio cables for the E80, and (2) one less a/v input wasted on the receiver, since the VCR is connected directly to the E80. My only concern is Macrovision.

I just got back from Radio Shack. The guy mentioned I can use a a/v convertor box with s-video inputs and an s-video output to split signal from direct tv and dvd recorder. Does this sound correct?

Thanks,

Bob

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The guy mentioned I can use a a/v convertor box with s-video inputs and an s-video output to split signal from direct tv and dvd recorder. Does this sound correct?
That's impossible to answer with any certainty without knowing exactly how your system is wired.

Question: Are you set up for any recording from the TV (e.g., a VCR)?

If the answer is "yes", then you could just split those signals (though I wouldn't necessarly recommend that). If the answer is "no", you probably need an entirely new set of connections. Splitting the existing ones won't help and will only mess up your current installation.

M.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
What made you change your mind, Scott?
Michael, as you know I cancelled my original pre-order for a E80 to wait on the E100 with a firewire input. However, prices for the E100 are running from $950 to $1,100 while the E80 can be found for $550 - $600. After considering what's actually happening with the firewire connection, I do not think this feature on the E100 is worth almost twice the cost of the E80. The E100 has some other features, but nothing that is of major interest to me.

Even with a firewire connection from a MiniDV camcorder to the DVD recorder, there will still be a format conversion from DV to MPEG (albeit in the digital domain). Using the s-video or composite connection, the conversion will be from DV to analog to MPEG. I doubt the difference in video quality will be worth that much added expense.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I have direct TV and the DMR-HS2 (same as the E80 with 40GB less).

I have my s-video go from SAT receiver to the recorder and select input L1 (L2 or L3 depends on where you input the S-Video) and all is well. Tuner doesn't work unless you have regular cable.

Oh, edit to add that if you want to record:

Set your programs on your SAT receiver. Then set your timer on your E80 (don't forget to have it in L1 in the program if that is where your S-Video is coming in).

I know it's a hassle to set two seperate timers, but it's the only way. I heard that there are modification you can do to your machine so that the SAT receiver can send IR signals to the recorder and starts recording like it can with VCR. I haven't look into it and has no plan too. I'm happy with my setup.

I'll actually be buying the E80 for my bedroom soon.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I assume you mean "analog" ("composite" is for video).
I thought "composite" is a term use for RCA cables, red yellow and white so would include the audio portion (red and white although the color means nothing ofcourse, they're interchangeable). Since the audio portion and the video portion is the same cable, the term "composite' refers to anyone of them, audio or video. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes whatever you call it, it is analog.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I thought "composite" is a term use for RCA cables
No, it's a term used for a type of video connection that typically uses RCA connectors (but doesn't have to). RCA connectors are commonly used for all sorts of connections, including digital coax, composite video, component video and analog audio.

"Composite" refers to a video connection that uses a single signal to carry all of the video information.

M.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the correction.

Then how do you differentiate this type of analog connection with other types?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Then how do you differentiate this type of analog connection with other types?
If you're referring to the audio connection, it's a stereo analog connection -- still one of the most common connections around. The other common ones are multi-channel analog (usually six channels instead of two) and the two common forms of digital audio, coax and optical (or "Toslink").

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks