What's new

Panasonic AE8000 Projector - upscaling (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
So far, I have only watched Bu-ray discs on my Panansonic AE8000 front projector. But last night, I was at a Redbox kiosk and it did not have a Blu-ray disk of Ironman 3. So I picked up the DVD expecting it to look kind of soft blown up to a 138 inches wide image. To my surprise it looked really good! Not HD but pretty close.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
DVD was an amazing leap for the time and only got better. I watch anamorphic DVDs with no complaints at 120 inches. I can tell obviously but many guests wouldn't.

It's devastatingly better than broadcast HD!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DVD was an amazing leap for the time and only got better. I watch anamorphic DVDs with no complaints at 120 inches. I can tell obviously but many guests wouldn't.It's devastatingly better than broadcast HD!
And people call me snide...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not sure I follow you, I am agreeing with your OP. I think DVD was wonderfully over engineered and holds up well (when upscaled) against its successor. My broadcast HD channels are MUCH softer than DVD. Sometimes distractingly so.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't buy DVD anymore so i can only say that up to at least 2006, with just a few exceptions, DVD's were riddled with edge enhancement, this looks poor on a projection sized screen and even on a 60 inch screen the processed look is bad.

I suspect that DVD's made today and for the last few years probably have much less sharpening applied because they will be created from the HD masters used for the blu ray and thus new ones released today probably look very good on large screens.

HD broadcasts here in the UK are pretty good, i wouldn't call them soft, i'd call them natural, unsharpened, i like that look.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I was never very impressed with DVD. The picture was a step up from LD, but the sound was often not as good.

It is unfortunate so that so much energy went into DVD with so many titles likely to never see the blu light.

Blu-ray is fantastic and I am excited about 4K blu.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not sure I follow you, I am agreeing with your OP. I think DVD was wonderfully over engineered and holds up well (when upscaled) against its successor. My broadcast HD channels are MUCH softer than DVD. Sometimes distractingly so.
In my house, DVD is nowhere near HD broadcast. Not to trumpet Directv, again, but of all the pay services...they are closest to OTA.I was watching the Colts game yesterday(101.7 miles from the antenna farm) and no way would DVD be that clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks