What's new

Panasonic 65" plasma vs Sharp 65" LCD (1 Viewer)

Anish

Stunt Coordinator
First, let me explain the room setting that this TV will be going in - this is going on a main floor in a 23'x15' family room and will be going along the short wall, with the couches being situated about 15' away. There is a huge 3-pane window that measures a total of about 60" high x 70" wide (glass pane area) on the opposite wall to where the current TV is (and the new TV will be) situated (so, in front of the TV screen, about 21' away). There are also 2 smaller 60" high x 20" wide windows on the adjacent wall to the TV (along the 23' wall) and the other 23' side of the room is completely open to the dinette/kitchen.

We do have double cellular blinds on all the windows that pretty much cut out all light coming in to the room but we tend to try to leave them open through the day to let light in, especially in the spring/fall/winter so there is a fair amount of light coming in to the room during the day.

I have always preferred the plasma technology to LCD because of its refresh rate (or lack there-of), better blacks, better colour. However after seeing the TVs in the store I am reconsidering my decision based on the lighting conditions of my room - LCD might be a better choice. The two models that I am considering are the Sharp LC65D64U LCD or Panasonic TH-65PZ850 plasma (or to be more price comparative, the Panasonic TH-58PZ850 plasma which is the 58" version).

Between the two which would you experts recommend? I tried some searches in this forum but could not find anything comparing these sizes and those brands so any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi
Basically this is LCD vs plasma debate ?
LCDs are better suited for rooms that have ambient light and or un controllable lighting. Watching the LCD display for a 3 hour duration may cause eye fatigue due to the large amount of light output.

Regards

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks