What's new

Panasonic 42PX80U vs. Samsung PN42A450 (1 Viewer)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Hi all, I'm stuck choosing between these two sets and I could use some advice. The Panny seems to be getting slightly better reviews overall, but it has one drawback: no PC input. The Samsung has the PC input, but, after reading some posts elsewhere, I'm wondering what the 1024x768 native resolution is going to produce on a widescreen display(in terms of games; XP and Blu-rays/DVDs should be fine). Does anyone have any experience with that? Am I making any sense? :crazy:

Ugh. Whose idea was it to make an HDTV with non-square pixels. :angry:

The more research I do, the more I think it would be better to just bite the bullet and go with the 42PZ85U: 1080p, square pixels, and a PC input. This is intended to be a temporary solution; in my current living situation the 50" display I wanted just won't fit.

Thanks in advance!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Don't buy a Neon and complain it does not have the features or performance of a Lexus.

Sounds like your needs go beyond what the base sets will provide. Time to think about the next step up. The 1024x768 is the same extension as 1366x768 for the 50 inch units. The 768 is part of the computer world.

Generally not a good idea to run computer material on Plasma sets without being really careful about image retention and burn in. If you want to run a computer ... best to think about LCD panels instead.

Regards

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Right, that's why I'm asking here first. :D

I'm not sure what you mean by "extension", but your post inspired me to try a search that I hadn't tried in my hours of browsing last night, and I came up with this thread from avsforum. It only mentions the usage of PCs in passing a couple times, but enough to finally convince me that square pixels are highly desirable for use with an HTPC. So I guess it's off to 1080p I go.

And I'm not too worried about burn-in(well, I am, but...) because this will be primarily used for video, with only some light gaming mixed in, but I am very aware of the potential problem.

Thanks for you help, Michael!

campark43

Grip
Real Name
Campbell Park
Hey bud save your money buy the 720 p/1080i panasonic. 1080 p is really only relevent when your looking at 50 inch plus tv's. maybe a 46". You won't see the extra resolution, or the extra thousand dollars you should have put in the bank or into equipment upgrade.

ChameleonAudio.ca

marcIs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
marc turcotte
i have seen these two tv side by side. I do prefer the samsung I find the colour has a richer depth. As far as hooking up your PC. I do this with my 42pc5d this is a lg plasma with a res of 1024X720 and it is just fine all you half to do is inlarge your icons and change the res on your pc. I have never burnt in a image into the tv. also I use this for my 360.

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff

Funny, my neon has more features and performance that all but the top-of-the-line lexus'.

Sorry that had nothing to do with the topic at hand :P

Real Name
seth c.
ok your wanting to hook it up to a pc? go lcd. from the models you put are both average about $1000(both 720p) so look for the sam ln42a550 or son kdl40s4100 for a 1080p lcd couple hundred more but 1080p is worth it.

now if you want to get the latest the samsung lnt4069f is 1080p 120htz was on sale for 1399 at circuit city just do some online searching.

now what you get for the extra $200 is when hooking up the pc the quality will be sharper on the 1080p compared to the 720, wont have as big of blocks, you will have to change your resoltion on you pc to get the full screen. Also satalite is currently coming out with 1080p video on demand (vod) this august so y not 1080p.

-seth

Real Name
seth c.
ok andy heres what i suggest.
1. lcd not saying you cant hook up a plamsa to a pc but lcd is almost full proof when leaving images on for a long duration.
2. 1080p - when hooking pc up it will deff. change the quality from the 720, make sure you change the resolution on the computer to make it full screen.
3.look at the lcd models sam-ln40a550 and sony-kdl40s4100 both around $1200 possibly look at the sam-lnt4069f for (1080p and 120htz) to just get you rdy for whats coming out you wont be wishing a year from now that you dont have it.
4.and Yes there is a diff. in the quality of 1080p 40 inch and 720p 40 inch some people are just not blessed enough to see it......but if you've been around tv's there's a diff. and you will be gratefull getting a 1080 now than later.

whoops took awhilefor my first one to pop up so didnt think it sent....ohwel

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Thanks for the advice, all, but I decided Michael was right and I should upgrade. So, after some minor woodwork reconfiguring my old 6ft. flexi-rack into a 3ft. TV stand, I managed to make a 50" set fit. Hence, I went with my long term solution and bought a Panasonic TH-50PZ85U.

Ironically, this thread proved to be academic, as my plans of building an HTPC to go along with it fizzled. Still, everything has worked out satisfactorily and my first Blu-Ray experience(Tobe Hooper's Mortuary; don't laugh) was beautiful. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks