What's new

Panasonic 3D Plasma is in the house (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Glad to hear you are enjoying yours. I'm replaceing an old 61" Samsung DLP, so I didn't want to go any smaller. Hopefully I will have it in the next week or two. I'm like a little kid, I can't wait to have it and get it set up! I've heard it benefits from a calibration, but THX mode right out of the box is 80+% of the way there.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Thanks for the review this is the one 3D TV released so far that I'm leaning towards. I don't want to drop in size from my current 65" Mits. I might try to replace it when I get my next bonus.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yes, the THX mode is incredible. In my room with dim lighting, no reflections, etc. I've found it provides a nearly ideal image from most Blu-rays and from the better DVDs. (I just played one DVD that was so hideously bright and ugly/contrasty (Endless Night) that the Panasonic's very dim "standard" setting actually worked pretty well for that one.)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

Chas, watch in THX Mode for the most accurate out of the box image.

When you are ready for a professional calibration, give me an email at [email protected] and I will personally assist you.

happy viewing!!

Gregg

erikdg

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik
My main concern about Plasma is the glare from the screen. Our current setup is in a room that has french doors with lots of light during the day. I've never had plasma but the glare of seeing other objects would drive me crazy. I currently have a 67" Samsung DLP and love it. The only downside is that It's too heavy to mount. We would like to get a more current technology with a much slimmer profile to mount on the wall. Would like to get a thinner unit with 3D Technology. I'm afraid that going to a smaller set will be a mistake. I am currently looking at the Plasma Panasonic TC-P65VT25 3D, the Samsung UN55D8000YF and the Sharp LC-70LE732U, and Sharp 60". I currently have B&W XT series speakers and an Denon AVR-3808CI A/V receiver. I'm going to have to get a new TV, New A/V receiver (for the new HDMI 1.4a which supports 1080p & 3D), a new 3D blu-ray player. If we go LED I want at least 240hz. Plasma isn't a problem in that area. My wife is thinking we should get a 55"-60". She may be right. maybe bigger isn't always better. the 67" is very large in our room. We mainly watch blu-ray dvd's and HD Cable. We are seated about 11ft from the wall. Also having salesman trying to tell me I MUST purchase the $100-$200 HDMI cables. Could someone steer me in the right direction?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
for starters you dont need the HDMI cables that cost that much.. try monoprice.com I own the panasonic tcp50gt25. I get some glar. I have closed off my windows for the most part. I get a bit of glare at times. its not really that bad. Jacob

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I have noticed some glare but even with the shades open it isn't too bad. It wasn't any worse then my DLP before it.

Also....I agree with the comment regarding monoprice.com. They are definitely the way to go on cables. I would add that getting a lower gauge wire (bigger wire) is a good thing too and don't get a cable any longer than you need. If you're 11 feet away the 65" will be fine. It will likely impress you that you may have gone too big for the first couple evenings of watching, but that feeling will soon leave and you'll be glad you went with your decision. Hope that helps.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
HomeTheaterMag just did a comparison on all 3 Panasonic Plasmas... Interestingly the outcome was that all are ruffly the same.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Just taken a plunge into the world of plasma and ordered a panasonic 50 inch Vt30 Should receive on Sunday so looking forward to it - came with a free surround system too. Advice on the 100 hour breaking in needed - if I want to watch letterbox material or play games how long is advised before switching off ?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Simon,

Much controversy as to whether you need to do the 100 hour break-in.

My advice would be to immediately bring down the brightness and contrast levels

If you do a Google Search for VT30 calibration settings you will probably come

up with some suggested settings.

You can watch a few letterbox movies at once. I am certain you will turn the

TV off at some point during the day. As far as gaming, just be careful not to

keep anything static on the screen for extreme periods of time.

Really, I would not be concerned about burn-in with normal use.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Thanks - it is a beautiful image I have to say - I found some settings on a site called flatpanelshd and they seem to be great. I set contrast and brightness to well below 50 and I only usually average a couple of hours viewing a day at the moment. My only big concerns is watching soccer on the tv with all the burned in logos - still its only 90 minutes once a week :) Only concern I have is most of my films are 2.35:1 but then since my main use is films I guess it shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks