What's new

Panasonic 3D Plasma is in the house (1 Viewer)

Well I took delivery of my 65" 3D Plasma on June 2nd! (Pan TC-P65VT25)

One word: WOW!

I waited for the 65" and I'm glad I did. The picture is superb in 2D, which is good because there will be a wait for more content. DirecTV is suppose to introduce some 3D channels later this month so I'm all ready. I sent off the form to get the two free 3D movies (Coraline and Ice Age, Dawn of the Dinosaurs) but those will take several weeks to arrive I'm sure. It woulda been nice if they'd put them in the package with the TV, but oh well. A demo DVD comes with the 3D blu ray player (received same day) so at least I have that to show people. (same demo CD you can see at the retail outlet).

The best thing about the intro of the new sizes is that it is being intro'd through online outlets vice just the retailer... so I was able to get a significant discount.

If any folks have specific questions about this new TV I am willing to address since...I actually HAVE it now.

Happy viewing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Peter,

Thanks for the update as I think some members will be asking you some questions about this new display due to their interest. I'm pretty sure Ron Epstein will be visiting this thead.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Peter,

FIrstly, I would like to congratulate you on the purchase

of the Panasonic 65" 3D display.

As Crawdaddy stated in the post above, I am taking particular

interest in this thread as I hope to have one of these displays

shortly. In fact, I had hoped to have one before anybody, but

seems that channel moved a lot slower than I expected.

If you have been reading some of the other 3D threads in this

forum, you would know that I have been watching this technology

very closely over the past few years. Have been out to Panasonic

Hollywood Labs to see various prototypes of their 3D technology

and I can tell you that even 3 years ago, what we were watching

was unbelievably good. I am extremely excited that 3D is finally

being offered to consumers though initially at a steep price point.

After looking at Samsung LED and Panasonic PLASMA I can

tell you that you bought the better display. From what I am
reading, the black levels on this display are almost comparable

to the Pioneer Kuro brand which during its reign stood as the

benchmark of plasma displays.

I am hoping that you are willing to take on a little pressure

as the first member of our forum to own one of these plasmas.

Can you post some pictures? Can you talk a little about the

quality of the display? I realize a 3D demo disk came with your

Blu-ray player. Want to talk about your initial impressions of
the 3D experience? How are the glasses? Is there anything

negative about your experience with the VT25?

Look forward to reading your future comments.

Ron,

I think I got very lucky as I was checking daily for a online retailer and called one the day after they received the sets. They also happened to be having a sale that day! So I got the set early and on sale....how sweet is that?

I had read some of your posts earlier about 3d. It seemed clear that waiting for the panasonic was the thing to do. I had actually been about to get the V10 but then read some more and learned 3D was so close and decided to wait.

The blacks are very good on this set. The quality of the display is superb. At first I thought things looked a bit fuzzy, but then I realized I was watching a commercial in standard def....understandably fuzzy on a 65" display. The demo disc of course takes every liberty to maximize the 3D effects and it is amazing! Objects appear to pop right out of the display. BTW, I called directv and they will be launching their 3D ESPN channel on the 11th of June for world cup soccer. I don't care much about soccer, but I'll check it out to see how that looks. They couldn't provide me any dates for the other 3 channels yet, but their website says "Coming in June".

The glasses are comfortable, but I haven't worn them for an extended period of time.

The only negative so far is the lack of content. That should resolve itself fairly soon. One of the Directv channels is suppose to be movies....we shall see.

I will post some pics later today.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Very excited. I love to hear that you are as

impressed with the 3D as all of us that have

seen it previously were.

I really believe that 3D is really going to take

off in the home. Thought the animated stuff

can be gimmicky it's the live action that really

takes on a life of its own.

The only negatives I have thus far about the

set are the glasses. A lot of people think the

glasses supplied with the Panny plasmas are

pretty bad. Glad to read you have no major

complaints.

Looking forward to the pictures and the continued

posts concerning your 3D experiences.

Okay here are some pics...the TV is in my master bedroom....how sick am I? I have a 3D ready Mitsu 73" in the home theater, so I will need something from Mitsu to be able to use it in 3D (at least I heard they will work out that issue). This first pic of course appears out of focus because its in 3D:

Here is another that is 2D, just some random movie, but I tried to pick an image that shows the blacks:

This image is taken with a flash so you see the TV better:

If you have any other pic ideas I will be glad to oblige.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
After looking at Samsung LED and Panasonic PLASMA I can

tell you that you bought the better display.

I finally got a chance to check out the 3D displays at my local Magnolia/Best Buy and have to concur with Ron. The 3D effect was, IMO, far superior on the plasma than on the Samsung LCD.

Even though I am one of those more interested in 3D as a technical curiosity moreso than as something I'll really consider getting for myself, there's no denying that the new generation of Panny plasmas provide an absolutely stunning image.

Congratulations on the new set!

EvanD

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
congrats on the purchase.

I'm new to the forum. Is it inappropriate to ask what you paid for the set? Is there another place within the forum that this info is more commonly shared? I'm looking at the same line but a 58" and would like a basis for comparison to my quote.

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know whether it is "appropriate". I would think it would be up to me if I want to share that info. The rub probably begins if the site turns into a forum for pushing certain retailers.....but you didn't ask where I got it....so I paid $3300 plus less than $200 for in the threshold shipping. I received it in 3 business days for a total price of under $3500.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Congrats on your set. I have a Panny 65" and Panny 50" but neither 3D.
I did get a chance to demo the 3D version though. Not sure what I think of it. It certainly is a good TV (and that price you paid is ).

But the glasses wore me out after a few minutes. Hard plastic on my nose all the time doesn't sound appealing. Especially since I have to wear my other glasses as well.
But while 3D looks good, I wonder how much it will be used after the initial novelty wears off. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure it will be embraced. Or that we won't simply get tired of it.

Having said all that: if I was in the market for a 65" and didn't already have one, I would certainly go ahead and buy the 3D version, especially this Panasonic. It looked great in 2D.

cochab

Auditioning
Real Name
CJOchab
I just purchased the 54" model. I'm expecting it sometime next week, as it was not in stock at my local Best Buy and they have some sort of issue with shipping Magnolia sets. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone may have any tips on minimizing burn-in? Although I've read there have been vast improvements made over the past few years, I plan on using my PS3 quite often. Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated. Also, I would be more than happy to provide photos or answer questions once I receive the set (although its no 65"er :)).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Cochab,

I am guessing that your account was suspended due to your

username (we require a full first name). Please contact me

privately to fix that. We would love to have you as an active

member.

To answer your question...

Burn-in issues with plasma are really a thing of the past

unless you blatantly abuse the display.

For instance, I just read about someone who bought the

Panasonic 65" 3D display and burned a game logo onto

their screen. What the person did was take the display

out of the box and immediately start playing XBOX

or PS3 content that had a fixed logo on it for hours on end.

So, the lesson learned here is that there should be a break-in

period for the first 100 hours. Some will argue it is not

necessary but at the very least, you should take great care

during initial viewing not to keep static images on your screen

or consistently watch letterbox material.

Good luck with your new display. Once we get your
first name issue worked out come back and let us know

how you are making out with your new plasma.

Update.

I took the chance to watch a bit of the world cup soccer on the set. The 3D effect is quite amazing. I don't find the glasses particularly uncomfortable (there are a few choices of rubber nose clips that come with the glasses for added comfort). I also have no problems with the 3D being "bothersome" in any way.

The one thing I have found is that any extra ambient light is annoying while wearing the glasses. In a dark room the entire effect is superb.

I think the set quality in 2D is well worth it and I'm quite satisfied with the purchase. As additional content comes out I will have more of an opinion on the 3D and whether its just the novelty or here to stay.

Pete

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Peter,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have been reading a lot of positive comments

on this display.

Should know if I am getting one or not in the

next few days.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 65 incher. Just need some sort of final push to get me to pull out the ole credit card and type in those numbers.

The most important thing to me right now in a new display is 2D picture quality. It appears that this new VT25 rivals the Kuro in that department. Just being 3D ready and having Amazon on demand and all those other things is icing on the cake.

Pete - it looks like you are using some sort of receiver. I take it a 3D capable receiver is required if one doesn't want to use the TV speakers, right?

I use the receiver for sound, (For both DirecTV and 3D Blu-ray) but I run the HDMI cables directly to the TV for picture. That is actually a non-hdmi receiver but its fine for surround in my master bedroom. I honestly don't know what is needed in the way of a receiver or what is available to use with the 3D. In my home theater I get a notice if I try tuning my DirecTV to a 3D channel saying I need a 3D capable receiver.....it does go directly through a Denon HDMI capable receiver. If I decide to use the 3D capabilities of my Mitsu then I'll likely have to bypass that receiver also on the video end.

UPDATE:

Now that I've had this set about 45 days I will provide some more impressions:

This set is great for 2D. I have NO regrets at all about this purchase. Its a wonderful set.

I have also had time to assess the 3D features. I have been able to watch some 3D world cup, the All Star game and a couple of the 3D programs available on DIRECTV. I've also watched one of the two free movies which I received as a mail away rebate for the TV purchase. The 3D image is awesome. The only downsides are that I find watching 3D distracting with any ambient light. The glasses could have been designed to do a better job of blocking out light from the sides I suppose, but I really don't mind this so much since I prefer to watch in a dark room anyway. The other thing is that the glasses are a bit uncomfortable after watching for an extended period of time. Most sporting events and movies are long enough that I get a bit tired of wearing the glasses. Perhaps this will improve with continued viewing as I get used to it. I don't wear glasses normally and never have, so they are foreign to me. Or, it could be that the glasses are heavier than most due to the electonics that they have in them. I really don't know how they compare with regular glasses by weight.

I like the 3D so I will continue to assess it and hope that I will find the glasses less distracting over time.

LOVE the set.

Pete

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
You ordered the 65"? Jealous!

I've had my 50" VT25 for several weeks and am more blown away by the picture quality every day...and I've done very little to tweak it. I'll eventually have it calibrated, but my guy at the store said to not even think about that till it's got a few hundred hours on it.

The 50" was appropriate, not only for my current budget but for the very close seating distance in my small have-to-please-no-one-but-myself HT room. I can only imagine how fabulous the larger ones are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks