What's new

Pan and Scam, The UK situation.. (1 Viewer)

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
That's it!
I'm moving to the Islands! I work for AT&T and will tell my boss that my health requires that I have foggy weather most of the time. I'll have to hurry, because our love affair with BT is about to do the splits!
Where should I live...Dublin? London? Glasgow?
Is Blackpoole Beach really all that?
Do I really have to say mate?
How much is a 800sq ft. flat in your town?
Do you have Mexican food? Greek?
:)
------------------
Ta-ra-ra boomsy-ay
Did you get yours today?
I got mine yesterday.
That's why I walk this way!
[Edited last by Trace Downing on August 17, 2001 at 06:51 AM]

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
As I mentioned yesterday in another thread, WB released "Space Jam" in P&S in the USA (twice!) but in anamorphic widescreen in the UK (despite the erroneous fullscreen labelling on the box).
It'll be interesting to see the format on the UK/R2 edition of "Cats & Dogs" when it's finally announced.

Mike Gariepy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I have a couple of friends who moved to London a few years ago. We've spoken a few times about TV and movies in general, and one thing they mentioned I though t was interesting. While widescreen sets were becoming more prominent there, the place was lacking LARGE screen TVs. Everyone has a TV, but it seems they are all little 19/20 inchers.
We North Americans have been spoiled for over 15 years with 4:3 TVs that are in excess of 52" diagonally (some even 80"). Is it possible that Widescreen took off in Europe simply because BIG TVs were uncommon there? When widescreen arrived, the price was attractive, but the screen area seemed bigger as well?
I'm a big supporter of widescreen TVs and wish they were cheaper and more prominent, but when J6P walks in to an electronics outlet and sees that even the biggest of the widescreen sets is still only 2/3 the size of his big screen TV that he has had for 5 years, he's not impressed. This has got to change and it's up to the manufacturers to make it happen. Stop making 63" 4:3 TVs, only make the big boys widescreen.
------------------
reddy.gif
"Hi I'm Reddy Killowatt reporting a dangerous overloaded octopus connection in sector five!"
My HT Equipment | My DVD List

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Trace - Brighton is where its at, forget Blackpool. I'd recommend London, as its nearest Brighton, and because its generally cool. Dublin and Glasgow are both cool too though, so _please_ no-one take offense. They aren't as ludicrously expensive to live in either.
oh, you're joking. ah.
biggrin.gif

Besides, I'd only say 'mate' if you want us thinking you're Australian...

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Mike - that's EXACTLY the same situation with bags of crisps (ie. potato chips)! Why do Americans get everything bigger?
laugh.gif

Brits seem to either make do with their smaller widescreen sets or buy a projector and screen.
Big screen (and I mean BIG) sets are not generally very popular. Perhaps they're seen as a bit ostentatious?
As for quality of programming, we are certainly a bit more tolerant and daring in our TV shows - can you imagine if they screened the Brass Eye Special in America?
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Jon Robertson on August 17, 2001 at 08:22 AM]

DannyS

Second Unit
The FBI CIA and NSA would hunt Chris Morris down and probably kill him to preserve the purity of the USA, thus turning Chris Morris into a comedy Deity, and making Brasseye a religion! God I love Morris's stuff, we need the complete unedited, uncensored Brasseye and Jam on DVD!
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)
[Edited last by DannyS on August 17, 2001 at 08:39 AM]

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I agree. Chris Morris is one of the only genuine geniuses alive today.
Jam is being repeated next month on Channel 4, although the ITC and BSC have demanded the removal of the dead baby and the plumber sketch, the one about the miscarriage ("I've brought you a present") and the house-bargaining for sex sketch.
The rest of the series, is, as far as I know, intact.
Criterion should definitely release Jam. I can't think of a single reason why not.

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
Forgive my ignorance here but I remember reading somewhere that the BBC had jumped the gun with Digital specifications and this meant that it would not be possible to broadcast movies on our digital service in DD 5.1?
Don

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Don,
Yeah that's why I thought too, but Sky have a new Digibox out later this year which they're promoting asy SkyPlus or something and have said that come Dec the BBC will be running a few progs in 5.1, whilst Sky themselves will be running a few films and some sport in 5.1 too. Of course, you'll need the new digibox with the digital out to make use of it.
Dan (UK)
PS: Agreed with above, Chris Morris is a superb. Daily Mail will see to it Brasseye never hits home video. Happy I recorded all of them off E4, finally found a reason to watch that channel for one night only.

DannyS

Second Unit
unfortunately what E4 broadcast were the censored versions. you can see unedited uncensored footage on the web at cooked and bombed
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
If E4 censored them that night (I know they cut the grade thing) then C4s subsequent weekly re-broadcasts were cut down even more I noticed.
Still, let's try to get back on topic, we've drifted away here...
Dan (UK)
PS: High Time BBC did The Day to Day on DVD.
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 17, 2001 at 11:53 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread