What's new

"Pal Joey" Feb 14th 5.1 with isolated music track (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
MattH. said:
But wasn't Bells Are Ringing the first cast album released in both mono and stereo formats? It came out in late 1956.
Stereo records came out in 1957. Sinatra's first stereo L. P, Where Are You, came out that year.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I seem to remember being told that in the case of Candide, the mono and stereo recordings are from two different sessions.

John Skoda

Second Unit
Chas in CT said:
I seem to remember being told that in the case of Candide, the mono and stereo recordings are from two different sessions.
I guess it's possible, but I doubt it, just because of the expense that would be involved with recording (and paying everybody) twice. There are definitely different 'takes' used on the mono vs. stereo (as is true of Bells), but I think they're the same sessions. I think stereo was just new to them, and, they chose different takes due to technical mishaps.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
John Skoda said:
I guess it's possible, but I doubt it, just because of the expense that would be involved with recording (and paying everybody) twice. There are definitely different 'takes' used on the mono vs. stereo (as is true of Bells), but I think they're the same sessions. I think stereo was just new to them, and, they chose different takes due to technical mishaps.
I know that in Sinatra's Capitol albums, the mono and stereo versions were recorded simultaneously with a multi-mic set up for mono and usually 3 for stereo. This is why you hear more instruments in Come Fly With Me and Only the Lonely on the mono versions. After 1958, Sinatra's albums were recorded primarily for the stereo market. To anyone interested in recording techniques I recommend Chuck Granata's book Sessions With Sinatra. Because Sinatra recorded from the late 30's to the digital era, his history parallels that of the recording industry's.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
David_B_K said:
I know that in Sinatra's Capitol albums, the mono and stereo versions were recorded simultaneously with a multi-mic set up for mono and usually 3 for stereo. This is why you hear more instruments in Come Fly With Me and Only the Lonely on the mono versions. After 1958, Sinatra's albums were recorded primarily for the stereo market. To anyone interested in recording techniques I recommend Chuck Granata's book Sessions With Sinatra. Because Sinatra recorded from the late 30's to the digital era, his history parallels that of the recording industry's.
Thank you for the concise explanation. I'll have to get Granata's book. I spend a lot of time listening to Frank Sinatra's recordings at Capitol. The sound is warm, clear, intimate and with immediacy and presence. Especially the mono recordings. The mono recordings are so fine you won't notice the absence of stereo. Competitive with today's recording technology (oh yes it is). Artistically, the Capitol albums are a listening experience everyone should have:
http://www.amazon.com/Capitol-Records-Concept-Albums-Sinatra/dp/B000BWI70W/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1327175345&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Capitol-Years-Frank-Sinatra/dp/B00000FDCY/ref=sr_1_17?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1327175391&sr=1-17
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Capitol-Singles-Collection-Sinatra/dp/B000002U51/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1327175345&sr=1-6
I also have Sinatra In Hollywood 1940-1964 which is a meticulously restored and organized collection:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000066BN9/sr=1-1-spell/qid=1327175525/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1327175525&sr=1-1-spell&seller=
The tracks from Pal Joey (disc 5, bands 18-24) are in mono and sound fine to me.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Chas in CT said:
I don't know the stage version of Pal Joey.  Worse, I never even saw the film till just last year when it was beautifully presented at the Lafayette Theater.  So, out of all context, viewing it just as a Sinatra film I was seeing for the first time, I really enjoyed the eye and ear candy.  Fortunately, this isn't the first musical I've "learned" in reverse order -- film version, then stage -- and I look forward to getting to know the original book and score.  As for now, I'm hoping for the best with this release.
GMpasqua said:
The story is basically the same except for a subplot to blackmail Joey by Gladys and some other guy.
The film lost a host of songs (basically they couldn't get by the censors) and much of the dialog was cleaned up for film.
The two biggest changes are that Joey is a singer and no longer a dancer (Gene Kelly played Joey on Broadway) and the location was moved from Chicago to San Francisco
To satifsy the censors Vera is no longer a married woman but a widow. Linda's character is also larger and I don't recall that she was a treat to Vera in the stage version.
Some great songs were cut ( though some were filmed: "What is a Man" by Vera when Joey first vists her on the patio and "You Mustn't Kick it Around" - as part of the dream sequence at the end)
some great songs Roger and Hart songs were added :The Lady is a Tramp" "Small Hotel" "I Didn't Know what Time it was" and "My Funny Valentine"
My first acquaintance with Pal Joey was as a film. It's my favorite Sinatra film, or vehicle. I didn't know about the history of the film and the play until later. When I read the play, I found it a more daring and original work. Very much a part of the late 1930s. I would like to see that get filmed today the way it was written. But the Sinatra film is something special.
Can anyone comment on the musical integrity of the complete soundtrack CD's? Mono or stereo? Fake stereo? Needle drops instead of tape sourced? It's been released a few times by different labels across the pond. I've never heard it myself.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
432f2c00_PalJoey1957-Columbia-half.jpeg

Evidently there is a soundtrack CD on the U.K.'s Blue Moon label. This is supposedly the original soundtrack album remastered. But it's the studio takes, not the soundtrack studio takes. Has anyone heard this CD?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
According to Chuck Granata over at the Sinatra Family Forum, the stereo tracks to Pal Joey are lost. Read his comments in THIS THREAD. In addition to writing the book I mentioned earlier, Chuck has also produced or co-produced several Sinatra compilations, including the complete Columbia set and the set mentioned by Richard--W, Sinatra in Hollywood.
There were stereo tracks; but apparently they were discarded. He describes his work on that compilation throughout the thread, but post 74 specifically deals with Pal Joey's stereo tracks.
Posted by Richard--W: Evidently there is a soundtrack CD on the U.K.'s Blue Moon label. This is supposedly the original soundtrack album remastered. But it's the studio takes, not the soundtrack studio takes. Has anyone heard this CD?
Richard, on another thread at the Sinatra Family forum, the Blue Moon soundtrack to Pal Joey is identified as an unauthorized version from Spain; so i would not expect much from it. The Sinatra Family Forum is a good resource for Sinatra info.
Also, speaking again of Chuck Granata, he co-hosts and produces Nancy For Frank on the Sirius/XM Siriusly Sinatra channel. On the show he sometimes discusses the various takes of Sinatra's songs and his efforts to produce the best sounding compilations possible.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Has anyone received their Twilight Time Pal Joey or Swamp Water Blu-rays? I usually get my pre-ordered discs within a couple of days of release date, which for these was the 14th. Still nothing today, and on the website I see the status of my order is "PENDING".

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have not received Pal Joey yet; but I did receive a "shipped" notification email yesterday.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
David_B_K said:
I have not received Pal Joey yet; but I did receive a "shipped" notification email yesterday.
So did I. I'm really looking forward to this!

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
The isolated score track has echo-y vocals during the three songs I sampled. I also have been having sync issues on the 5.1 track during some of the songs only.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just ordered but international customers like me have to pay a lot for our classics $57.05 + another 23% import duty when it arrives in UK customs :( I thought my Fright Night BD was expensive @ $62 this is going to be way more than that! but at least its worth it just a shame the major studios cannot see there is a large international market for this & other classics.......

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Paul; did you know that this and other TT titles are available via Amazon.co.uk - eg Pal Joey
Still not cheap by any means (personally, IMHO it borders on scandalous, but I'm not getting into that), but cheaper shipping and protected by Amazon's sales policies.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
John Hodson said:
Paul; did you know that this and other TT titles are available via Amazon.co.uk - eg Pal Joey
Still not cheap by any means (personally, IMHO it borders on scandalous, but I'm not getting into that), but cheaper shipping and protected by Amazon's sales policies.
Yes I did but still comes with a 23% import tax & the actual movie is approx £5 more on amazon than buying direct! Then you have the postage is std UPS so for the same price I may as well order direct & have the registered shipping option so not matter what I will be guaranteed to get a copy. Its a lot I know but like with Fright Night this is a title which is likely to sell out the 3000 copies probably not as quick but its very likely!

marknyc

Agent
Real Name
Mark Smith
The following songs exist in true stereo - I've heard them, and I know real stereo when I hear it:

Main Title
That Terrific Rainbow
Zip
Bewitched
Dream Sequence & Finale

I can understand it would be jarring to cut to stereo in the body of the film, but the isolated music track should have used them - does it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks