What's new

International PAL AND OTHER-REGION DVD ANNOUNCEMENTS & REVIEWS (1 Viewer)

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by Marcel H.
Will Odeon release the complete "The Saint" and "The Falcon" series?
Good question. It seems odd that the three titles they have announced are going to be granted individual discs given the short running times if nothing else. These kinds of movies are perfect material for box sets but Odeon haven't been big on producing boxes to date. There is a complete set of The Saint movies available from Montparnasse in France though.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Yeah, the "The Saint" set is on my list together with several other RKO Montparnasse DVDs - mainly Noirs - and there seems to be a "The Falcon" set available in Finland - odd, isn't it?

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Some news from Germany and Koch Media.
They released their December schedule and they're continuing the Film Noir line.

#6 will be Fritz Lang's You and Me (1938).

../../../../image/id/369554/width/1000/height/800

The other title will be The General Died at Dawn which is already available in the States as part of Universal's Gary Cooper collection, therefore I won't include the artwork here. Koch is also releasing a bargain Noir collection featuring The Blue Dahlia, The Big Clock and Black Angel. SRP for this set is 20€, the single titles of the Noir collection have a SRP of 15€.
Release date is December 3rd.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Good news, but I wouldn't call You and Me a film noir. There's other Universal/Paramount titles more deserving of release under that monicker - I'd give a lot to see The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry, Ride the Pink Horse, The Suspect, or The File on Thelma Jordan (if Koch have the rights of course) out on disc.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by Livius
Good news, but I wouldn't call You and Me a film noir. There's other Universal/Paramount titles more deserving of release under that monicker - I'd give a lot to see The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry, Ride the Pink Horse, The Suspect, or The File on Thelma Jordan (if Koch have the rights of course) out on disc.
The File on Thelma Jordan -according to Eddie Muller, the movie has been licensed to Criterion.

But back to PAL-Country...
I spoke to Koch's head of production yesterday and the good news is, they'll continue the Film Noir series next year and they're trying to publish the next batch before December 2011 but it's getting harder to license titles.
Asked about Rio Conchos as well and they're still working on it. He mentioned that the French DVD has different "Italian style" opening credits and for the German DVD they will be using the clean version - whatever this means.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Hi Marcel H!
I´ve been curious for a long time... any chance of Koch releasing Django the Bastard, with the mixed-up editing corrected, and the long version of Lunghi Giorni Della Vendetta in 2.35 (upgrade from the OOP XKult edition)?

Thanks for the info on Thelma J!

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Hi Stefan,

it's not impossible but Koch made no hints to these movies. There will be a new Spaghetti Western line next year - in addition to their "rainbow collection" - but as far as I know they'll focus on bigger titles that are yet unreleased in Germany. One title that was often mentioned is Carlo Lizzani's Requiescant.

As soon as I know more I'll let you know.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
When did Montparnasse start releasing RKO titles? Any of them ones not released on Laseridsic back in the day?

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
Has anybody got the Spanish DVD's of Blindfold and House of Cards and can you confirm aspect ratio and anamorphic enhancement please. I think these should be 2.35:1. Thanks very much.

Just noticed that a French DVD of Blindfold is also available. Anybody got any comments on that please.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I have the French release of Blindfold - 2.35:1 anamorphic and removable subs via the menu. Very nice transfer.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
Thanks very much Livius. I really like Blindfold, so it will be great to get a decent widescreen copy and retire my 4:3 version.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone who's used Starscafe know how long it takes for them to get things back in stock? I ordered 4 films, only one of which is in stock and the other three are "waiting for units". It's been 10 days. Just curious.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I've seen them take up to 2 weeks before. They seem to hold low stock levels but, going from past experience, they always fulfilled orders in the end. I have four titles on order myself at the moment so I'm playing the waiting game too.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Livius. It's my first order with them (I've only gone region free for about a month) so I was a little nervous. I feel a little more assured now.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
My last order at starscafe.com was placed on June 21st and shipped on July 5th and arrived two days later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks