What's new

International PAL AND OTHER-REGION DVD ANNOUNCEMENTS & REVIEWS (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Originally Posted by John Hodson
Quality is variable; Scarlet Street isn't typical. They aren't the worst purveyors out there, and it has to be said that they have improved over the years (they aren't either Elstree Hill or Eureka). I'd still be slightly wary.
I have three of those titles from the Warner Archive Collection so even though I want Rachel and the Stranger, I just might wait to see if Warner does something with that title first.

Crawdaddy

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
With Odeon it all comes down to where they're getting their source materials. In the UK the rights to the RKO library reside with Universal, and Odeon seem to have struck a deal with them. Universal's past RKO releases tended to be hit and miss - if the elements were ok the disc was ok, if not they just tossed it out as is. Anyway, Odeon aren't a cheap bootleg outfit.

speedspin

Agent
Real Name
Dafydd Jones
I was aware of Elstree Hill's reputation but I hadn't realized that Eureka were also considered to be a shady outfit. The only release I have from them (as far as I'm aware) is The Clouded Yellow...a personal favourite. While it's true that they made a blunder last year and released a version that was cut, they did then re-release it with the cut material restored. At the time, I thought this showed at least some merit on their part...even if I did have to shell out twice. The picture and sound quality on both releases are perfectly acceptable. But then, I'm judging just on the basis of this release. Perhaps it's the exception to the rule.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No, no - Elstree Hill are quoted here as purveyors of mainly rubbish, while Eureka - particularly their Masters of Cinema line - are invoked as quite the opposite end of the scale, a British Criterion if you will.

speedspin

Agent
Real Name
Dafydd Jones
No, no - Elstree Hill are quoted here as purveyors of mainly rubbish, while Eureka - particularly their Masters of Cinema line - are invoked as quite the opposite end of the scale, a British Criterion if you will.
Of course...sorry for misunderstanding. I've just re-read Robin's comment that prompted my post, and now I see what he meant "another Elstree Hill OR another Eureka" ...opposite ends of the spectrum, so to speak. Got it!

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Are any European companies doing on-demand programs like here in the States? Thinking England, France, Germany, Spain...Italy too I guess.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Quality is variable; Scarlet Street isn't typical. They aren't the worst purveyors out there, and it has to be said that they have improved over the years (they aren't either Elstree Hill or Eureka). I'd still be slightly wary.
Thank you. Yes, I will be wary. I'll order The Fallen Sparrow and see what that is like before ordering any other titles.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Heads up from another forum. The Locket and North West Mounted Police are also due from Odeon, although apparently they're MovieMail exclusives for the time being.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
First "review" of Rachel and the Stranger: http://10kbullets.com/reviews/r/rachel-and-the-stranger/

And for those looking forward to While the City Sleeps from Exposure Cinema, here's a restoration comparison: http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=308538#p308538

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wish I can see the original 93 minute version of Rachel and the Stranger just once.

Crawdaddy

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Livius
Heads up from another forum. The Locket and North West Mounted Police are also due from Odeon, although apparently they're MovieMail exclusives for the time being.
The Locket! The ultimate flash-back movie. There are even flash-backs within flashbacks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robin9
The Locket! The ultimate flash-back movie. There are even flash-backs within flashbacks!
It was released recently from Warner's Archive Collection and as I viewed it, the disc looked very good.

Crawdaddy

speedspin

Agent
Real Name
Dafydd Jones
Has anyone heard which three westerns Koch are going to include in Volume 2 of their Classic Western Collection Box series? The first volume, which was released during the summer, was a good way of obtaining Horizons West, Chief Crazy Horse and The Appaloosa at a much lower price than the individual releases. There's a couple of their other past releases that I'm now anxious to pick up... but I'm wary of ordering them in case they're about to be repackaged for Volume 2. Their website hasn't listed volume 2 yet. Also, worryingly, I can't see Rio Conchos on there yet either. Wasn't that due out sometime during the next two months?

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Koch hasn't announced a Classic Western Collection Box Vol. 2 yet but I'll let you know if there are news.

Speaking of Rio Conchos. The movie is definetely coming out through Koch - a Koch spokesman mentioned the title as forthcoming - but there's no date yet. It will be part of their newly born Western Legends series. I guess it'll be released in 2011.

Someone close to Koch said a couple days ago in a German DVD forum that Damnation Alley (1977) will be released in Germany in 2011 - it's probably a safe call that Koch has secured the rights from Fox.

Almost forgot that Shoot Out (1971) will be released by Koch as well in 2011as part of their 70's Western series.

Btw. Koch is releasing a "Krautploitation" Western Box in November with Pirates of the Mississippi (1963), The Black Eagle of Santa Fe (1964) and Conquerors of Arkansas aka. Massacre at Marble City (1964). I don't know whether these movies will have English subtitles like their Spaghetti Western DVDs yet so anyone interested should wait till reviews pop up.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Marcel H.
Btw. Koch is releasing a "Krautploitation" Western Box . . .
Krautploitation!!! That's a lovely term! Never heard that one before.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's a comment worth repeating from Roobarbs forum:

I got Rachel and the Stranger and Berlin Express this morning.
Rachel and the Stranger is pretty weak. The contrast and detail are quite poor, dark/night scenes are quite murky and indistinct. The running time and tell-tale ghosting show it is converted from an NTSC source. Screen captures here.
Berlin Express has similarly come from an NTSC source, again the running time and ghosting are a giveaway. Overall it looks in much better shape than Rachel and the Stranger.
Judging by the DVD Beaver review of the Warner Archive DVDR (here), it looks to be from exactly the same source as that disc. Damage marks are identical as are contrast and framing. The standards converted Odeon, unsurprisingly has less fine detail than the Warner.
Screen captures here. I've matched the screen captures to the DVD Beaver review of the Warner Archive disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks