What's new

Pairs Skating ... we was robbed (1 Viewer)

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
Uh, MikeS, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. It is not like a bad call by a referee in any other sport. It's about collusion to predetermine the outcome of an event regardless of the athlete's peformance. Refs make bad calls all the time, but your team can still win if you score more points, or come in first. Plus ref's can make up bad calls against a team by calling something on the other team.

Is there any good reason the Chinese pair were given the bronze?

Shawn C

Screenwriter
It doesn't even make any sense that the Russians got higher scores for presentation, either! It was incredibly boring and looked very rehearsed. (They area all rehearsed, of course, but the best ones can at least make it look more spontaneous and exciting.)

I even remember seeing a judge shaking his head after the scores came up. I don't know if he was upset about the booing, or upset about the scores.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Last night was the perfect reason why anything that relies on humans giving points based on their opinions should not be olympic events.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Guess I'm not adding anything by saying the Canadain pair got shafted. They really did.

But I will note that I thought the American pair gave a very impressive performance. Don't watch figure skating, but that must have been the routine of their lives. Great aerial work.

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any good reason the Chinese pair were given the bronze?
Because they deserved it. No controversy here--all nine judges gave them third. Going for the first ever throw quad jump in competition was such as gutsy move, and they almost had it. They recovered quickly and skated a great program.
Incidentally, if the Canadian pair had been U.S., I'm not sure the judges would have made it out of the building alive with that audience!

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I agree that it was poor judging and the Canadians should have won. Hopefully they will reprimand (or replace) a few of the judges, but I doubt the skating mucky mucks have the courage.

In a separate note, it was inspiring to watch the first skating pair of the evening (the woman with the broken foot). They were at the bottom of the standings and didn't skate a perfect program by a long shot, but I can't even imagine trying to do those jumps and landing on a broken foot each time. True competitors there.

Kenneth

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I'll point out that the poll on the official Olympic website, with about 47000 responses, is currently at 96 percent that the Canadians should have won the gold.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
The CBC had an interesting thing on just before 11 pst, where they went over the scores and the performances with the Canadian judge. Needless to say, again they were both pretty shocked with how the scoring turned out.

It just goes to show you that all judged events should be pulled from the Olympics, and after they do that, the can move basketball into the winter games where it rightfully belongs.

Aaron

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
French (the French?)
Of course. They're probably still sore over losing Canada 250 years ago :) From what I hear they also pretend not to understand the Quebecois.
Did the Russians pull the Canadians up onto the gold podium like that Korean boxer did in Seoul?

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Now if the Chinese made that Quadruple spin (sorry, im not a figure skating fan), would they have gotten the gold or would the judges have something to say.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The real question is whether the French made a deal to help them win the dance competition...

Things that make you go HHHmmmmm!

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
Nope. I'm not sure they even acknowledged each other, either before or after the awarding of the medals.
Actually, they did acknowledge and congratulate each other when they took the medal stands. Very good sportsmanship for all four of them, all things considered.

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
god damn frenchy judge admitted that she was forced into giving the russians their vote in exchange for the russian vote in ice dancing.

Once this is all cleared up, the gold will go to the Canadians, and I hope the russians get relegated down to bronze or 4th.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
I seriously doubt medals will be stripped. I don't think that's ever happened in figure skating. I doubt anything will change either, and if you really want to be cynical about it, this has created tremendous publicity. You wouldn't know who these two skaters are today if they had won the gold like they should have.

I remember a fix happening in boxing in 88, in that case the true winner was 100% obvious so there was clearly a fix in. Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure they changed the medals even after the judge(s) came clean about it.

On an irrelavent note, Jamie Sale is one gorgeous woman, IMO.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I remember a fix happening in boxing in 88, in that case the true winner was 100% obvious so there was clearly a fix in. Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure they changed the medals even after the judge(s) came clean about it.
The U.S. fighter victimized in the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul was Roy Jones Jr. and he never did get the gold medal he deserved.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
It should be interesting if the French will get the gold medal for the trade that they made with the Russians. All eyes are watching all the judges now.

I think figure skating should be eliminated from the Olympics until all the corruption gets dealt with.

Gosh, if they tried that will all the sports, the only winter sport they would have would be peeing in the snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks