What's new

Painting concrete basement floor. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
OK, a while ago, I posted a question about masonry sealers (specifically Drylok Fast Plug and Latex masonry paint.) Well I pretty much am in the process of sealing up using Fast Plug the floor/wall joint and am very very happy of the results so far. The drylok Fast Plug has plugged up all the cracks such that I did not have any puddling at all from the last rains we got on saturday. I am not simply patching places that needed some rework and continuing to seal the joint on places that don't leak as preventative work. My next step is buying the Drylok latex masonry paint and painting the lower half of my basement walls to prevent any seepage through the walls. After that, assuming my seam is good, I want to tackle the floor so in advance, I'm looking for advice on a good floor paint for concrete.

I saw Drylok's website for the Concrete Protector which is recommended as a primer to a concrete floor paint.

http://www.ugl.com/DRYLOKframes02.html

Now, I'm probably considering painting the floor the kind of paint one would paint a Garage floor, that protects from oils, water, etc. etc. I don't have a garage and obviously I don't park my car in the basement, but I'm looking for something that is durable and strong, do I need to use the garage floor paint or would something a little less strong do? Open to all recommendations! I will be doing my wrenching on my bike in the basement so I guess it would have to be strong enough to deal with bike grease, chain lube, etc. :)

Jay

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I just Painted My Basement floor with BEHR Paint and Primer, Concrete & Garage Floor Paint. Worked like charm they also have 40 colors:

http://behr.com

here is a direct link to the Concrete Paint I used:

http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/p...atings&catId=5

I bought it at Home Depot they should have a Brochure there with all the colors you can use, I think this is excactly what you are looking for. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks, so you basically used primer than the Behr paint on top of it?

Right now, after many years of neglect by the seller and a huge amount of water leakage from the cracks in the foundation and the wall/floor seam, there is serious water damage to parts of the floor. I am obviously in the process of trying to see how good my patchwork is doing which so far, so good! (finger's crossed). I have taken a chisel and scraper and scraped off all the old paint that was already flaking off and slowly preparing the surface to be painted. I have also started working on the walls whose paint has already started flaking so I'm just kind of helping it along. I have a wire brush and some scapers to use for that. I'll probably paint the floor grey and the walls white. Right now the walls are sort of an egg-shell white and the floor is kind of bare concrete that has been sealed with some kind of sealer that is flaking off now.

jay

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
YES I used the Behr Primer the guy at HD reccomended using the Primer to Bond better to the Concrete. so No chipping or flaking will happen.

Sounds like you have a heck of a Project goin there Whish you Luck, sounds like the seller didnt use the Proper Paint :frowning:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, I think the house had a water problem for many many years and a major problem that no paint I would think could withstand. Because I removed a bunch of concrete patching that looked like it was there for 25+ years. The seller was getting up there in the years and recently retired so I'm sure he figured he would sell the house as is. I got an OK price for it, considering the area that it is in and it is a very nice lake community. So, once I stop the leakage, the floor will be painted and then I'll tackle the laundry room, which, being about 3" lower than the main basement, has an even worse water problem there. However, that's the room with the sump pump in it so I'm tackling that after I fix the main basement where all my bikes and stuff are in.

Or, I could just let it flood and stock the place with koi!

Jay

djsmiles

Auditioning
Real Name
miles starkey
our concrete basement floor was freshly poured over top of the wavy old floor, so the seam where the floor meets the wall is covered by a stud/drywall wall. is it even worth it to paint the floor or will the water come up between the new concrete and the old wall anyway?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Are you confusing me with somebody who has snakes in the attic??? :crazy:

I would love snakes in the attics, it would eat the mice in the attic!

Never did paint the concrete floor, just like always a thousand of plans doomed to fail.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks