What's new

Ozzie & Harriet Shout Factory DVD Set - Episodes CUT! (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My Shout Factory set arrived on Saturday and there are two things that I am calling a major foul on:

1) Even though it's already been well documented that these are cut, I have to point out one especially egregious cut. In the "Tutti Fruitti Ice Cream" episode they cut out the middle portion of the singing during the dream sequence, which was the best part of the whole dream! How dare they remove the "Tutti Fruitti" song!

2) The back cover has a picture of my childhood crush, Cheryl Holdridge, who did appear in 4 episodes. But none of those are on this set! That's false advertising of the most cruel kind. Ok, I knew none of her episodes were going to be on this set, but still... How dare they torture me like that. Those rats. :angry:

Gary "that's just not right" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Gary, check your Mill Creek set for the "Tutti Frutti Ice Cream" episode. Not only is it complete, but it has the original Kodak commercials as well, and has a total running time (with commercials) in excess of 29 minutes. I just watched the episode last night and it certainly put a smile on my face.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yep, I watched it too Bob. Actually, I had watched it on Saturday even before I posted my comments above. And I'm so glad the Mill Creek set had it because I really wanted to hear that portion of the song after watching it on the Shout Factory set. Unfortunately, even the 100 episode Mill Creek set can't help me with my second issue - Cheryl Holdridge. Sigh...

Gary "and to add insult to injury on the Holdridge front, Universal seems to have stopped way short of releasing the later season LITB episodes that Cheryl frequented (she was on one eppy from Season 2, so at least I've got that, but her better stuff was from the later seasons)" O.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm disappointed in Shout! over this. But I'll still buy the set. Better than nothing...or better than that limited set of 38.

Now, when are we going to get more seasons of that other Ozzie? As in Osbourne. ;)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
SitcomsOnline.com has posted their review of the second official release of "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet," this one titled the "Best of Ricky & Dave."

Sitcoms Online - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Best of Ricky and Dave DVD Review

While it appears that syndicated episodes are still being used for these official releases, at least eight, perhaps nine episodes are complete or relatively complete based on the running times shown in the review. All of the episodes in Shout! Factory's first release of the series contained syndicated episodes so it appears that Shout! was well aware of the issue and made some attempt to get the full length versions (sans commercials) along the lines of their "Father Knows Best" release.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Bob, I got my set in the mail yesterday and while I did not scan all the episodes to see how many were complete, I can verify that at least a few are. Since I anticipated another release that would use nothing but the cleaned up, syndicated prints, I'm pleasantly surprised. And they included the Cheryl Holdridge episode I mentioned above in an earlier post! Yippee!!!

Gary "another nice set from Shout - keep 'em coming" O.

*NOTE: I just read the review from Sitcomsonline and I have to disagree a little. I don't believe the episodes look all that bad, and I certainly didn't hear any real audio problems. No, these episodes will not measure up to a modern television show on the A/V front, but no one expects them too. These episodes are fine to watch and I and my family will enjoy them for many years. Don't let the review scare you away if you are a classic tv fan.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I remember Cheryl Holdridge as Wally's girlfriend in Leave It to Beaver. I also watched the original The Mickey Mouse Club; those are some of my earliest childhood memories.

:)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Gary, as long as this second set is in the ballpark of the first set from an a/v point of view, then that's good enough for me. For the most part, the eps. in Shout!'s first set looked better than the PD releases, though I have to say that I still consider Mill Creek's 100 episode set to be the best O&H DVD release, at least for the time being . . . . mostly complete episodes, many with original commercials. It just doesn't appear that the Nelson family took the kind of care with their series that has been afforded to many other vintage series.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Bob,

That's great to read (and esp. about the Mill Creek set). It sounds like this is another set that I will be picking up. Incidentally, I love original commercials with these kinds of classic shows. Dark Shadows did this for a couple of releases; I wish MPI had done it a bit more.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Scott, Mill Creek's set isn't perfect but, for what it is, a collection of public domain episodes, it's well done. Mill Creek actually has the correct running order for almost all of the episodes and, as I say, the vast majority of the episodes are complete, many with the original commercials running as much as 29+ minutes. The downside is that MC's set uses 16 millimeter prints but, truthfully, they really aren't too bad and are very watchable. And all of the final season episodes, originally filmed in color, are in black & white. For what it's worth, I wrote a review of the Mill Creek set at Amazon . . . .

Amazon.com: The Essential Ozzie & Harriet Collection: Ozzie & Harriet: Movies & TV

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Right - take a listen to the new "PC" Charlie Magoo on some (though not all) of the episodes in the Mr. Magoo set.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

The Mill Creek "Ozzie and Harriet" set may be the best value dvd set I have ever picked up - period. I've yet to encounter an episode that was any where close to unwatchable, and they are uncut and include some fabulous commercials.

Gary "I'm in for every 'Ozzie & Harriet' set that Shout releases" O.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Great to hear the new set has quite a few complete episodes. I was first noticing this last night while viewing the second episode, which happily kept proceeding to a 25-minute mark. True, I loathe 'cut' prints, but given the questionable situation of the original Nelson Estate prints, this is one of those rare cases where I just accept it (especially since there's a nice assortment of full-length p.d. prints circulating, partially making up for things).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have the Mill Creek set which is great, but was hoping to add this to my collection. But I'm definitely a glass half empty guy on this. A few complete episodes, means a number of incomplete ones, and even one edited episode is a deal-breaker for me. Mill Creek proved that the full episodes exist and can be put out, and I will wait for a further Mill Creek set, or someone else to put out more episodes correctly before I spend more money on it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Gary,

That's good to read. Do you know if it was a conscious (as in planned) effort to leave the commercials in, or was it just easier to do so somehow? I don't know why this particular show would do that. Any thoughts?

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I agree wholeheartedly about the Mill Creek set....also one of the most pleasant surprises I've had buying any public domain quality set....even the prints in the worst shape are watchable.

The "Best of David and Ricky" set is a mixed bag.
Some episodes are complete, but none include the original openings with sponsor plugs as the Mill Creek set does.
As already noted, a great majority are the syndicated versions, and they look similar in quality to what those of us saw shows look like after school in the 70's and 80's.

But am I sorry I bought the new set? No, since it includes so many episodes that I have not been able to collect in any form, anywhere else.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I'm pretty sure that Mill Creek included the commercials simply because that's the way they received these PD episodes. Rather than go to the trouble of editing them out, they just left them in. And boy am I glad they did! There are some excellent vintage commercials on this set.

Gary "you can't go wrong purchasing that large Mill Creek set, but the Shout releases are worth a look as well" O.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Gary,

Thanks. I'm picking this set up for sure. :emoji_thumbsup: :)

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Has anyone compiled an available episode guide for O&H? I have the 12 disc Mill Creek box...are there any other episodes extant?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks