What's new

overscan confusion, please help!!! (1 Viewer)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
ok I am a bit confused about adjusting overscan. I have the sound and vison set up disc and there is a pattern with a crosshatch in the center and four 90 degree angles in each corner. Now what I do not understand is that are the four angles in each corner supposed to be on the outside of the screen or are they supposed to be inside of the screen with all four visible? Another example is an option that is called resolution 200tvl and in this screen it suppose to show how well your monitors can display fine details and well, when I put the dvd in my computer I can see the whole image of all the circles and around the border of the image there displays ABCDEFG in all four corners, but when I put the disc in my dvd player on my tv I cannot see the letters, instead they are cutoff. So what is the correct way to display the image?
hope i made sense

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You have to compromise. The PC and the DVD player are spreading out the subject matter in the video frame differently. THe same problem can occur with any two video devices, although TV stations are supposed to conform to a standard. See if there are additional adjustments in the PC software you can use to match the video output to that of the DVD player.

The four 90 degree angles should be exactly at the screen corners and in view.

You may also find that depending on the overall brightness of the scene, the amount of overscan varies (CRT TV's only). Again you have to set overscan for a compromise setting.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks