1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

OVER THERE (FX)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Scotty_McW, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

I think this show looks pretty good and FX seems to make some quality shows (The Shield, Rescue Me). I plan on watching it, but one thing is driving me nuts. What song is playing during the first part of the preview? It's really familiar to me but I can't place it! I'm going nuts!

Edit:
    Figured it out. Six Underground by the Sneaker Pimps.

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

When does the show start? (or has it already)

3. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Screenwriter

Mid-to-late July, I believe.

4. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

According to FX's website it starts July 27.

5. BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry Stunt Coordinator

I'm really looking forward to this show. There was a long preview for it last night during 30 Days, and it looked great. I'm excited to see how they deal with the lives of the soldiers' families left behind here at home.

6. BobbyPerry

Anyone see the article in the new Entertainment Weekly about this show? It's a pretty good article, and there's a DVD insert that has an interesting clip from the show. I'm getting sorta excited for it to come out.

7. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

I've subscribed to EW since inception...and I dont get no shtinking DVD insert!! I used to get the summer movie trailer VCR tapes they sent out..but nary a DVD!

[​IMG]

8. BobbyPerry

That's to bad you didn't get the DVD. I'm pretty exicted about the premiere on Wednesday. Who all is gonna be tuning in?

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

I'm gonna Pass I think maybe a Year or two down the road when things sort them selves out more would've been a time to visit this topic. Right now it seems like they are taking advantage of a pretty sad situation. Also the show is going to try to walk a thin line by not getting political Ok since it deals with the Day to day lives of the soldiers I can accept that. I would guess most soldiers worry about the day to day activities and don't focus on things they have no control on, but if they even touch on anything backstateside I don't see how they could keep politics out of it. Anyhow Knowing what I know I can't in Good conscience tune in, having this on FX no less makes it evenly more decidely so.

10. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Screenwriter

I'm torn. I have a nephew 'over there' right now, but since I've already watched Gunner Palace I may at least catch the first episode.

11. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I'm definitely going to be watching (and taping).

12. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Me too. Set up the 'record series' option last night.

13. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Season Pass set.

14. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I'm undecided about this show. From one perspective it seems to me that it's all about turning this war into primetime entertainment, something that I think should only be done when a war is over. On the other hand, it could actually turn out to be a good show....

I'll watch it then make up my mind. Having served for 6 years in the Army during the Desert Storm era, I'm a sucker for a good military film.[​IMG]

15. BobbyPerry

16. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    I'll be there.

17. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Saw an interview with Steven Bochco last night. He stated that he was really apprehensive about the project for all the reasons stated here. He said that like all his other projects, there are no politics in this series, other than the ones expressed by the soldiers themselves. Similar to Hill Street, LA Law and NYPD Blue, it is a character driven drama and will center around individual soldiers, not the war and/or the politics behind it. He also stated that every soldier who has previewed it has said it is spot on realistic and is a great tribute to the men/women who serve, warts and all.

I for one am there tonight and every Wed. night. I've always admired Bochco's ability to let the characters, not the politics/ideology of the creator, tell the story and don't think he'll disappoint here.

18. BobbyPerry

That sounds great. I'm psyched that Bochco is attached to this. It really adds some legitimacy to the show before it even hits the air.

19. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

Sign me up! Got the tivo set.

20. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

Just finished watching tonight's episode. I thought it was pretty good. For some reason I always have to watch any kind of war movie or show a few times before I really start to pick up on all the characters and this show certainly seems to have a lot!

I really like the video email portion. Very effective. The trailer for what's to come this season sure looks good.