What's new

*** Over 100 reviews in 9 months: Thank You for supporting me HTF membership! (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I can tell you that most of what Daniel says is true, at least from the studios' perspective. Yes, this and other sites, including mine, are looked at as marketing tools by the studios. As long as there is preceived value as a marketing tool, we will continue to get discs to review. This does not, however, make internet sites "pawns" of a studio. Some of you are wrongly reading that connotation into Daniel's comments.
Obi, I personally agree with those sentiments. :emoji_thumbsup: But the majority of Daniel's post was not confined to discussing studio politics, but sounded to me like a personal criticism of Ron's style. I found it difficult to read the portion of the post that discussed reviewers as marketing tools as objective and academic, when the bulk of the post was spent tearing somebody down.
All I am trying to say here, is that I consider Ron's reviews a valuable source of information for me and I don't resent him for doing what he does. Regardless of whether the HTFs reviewing arm is simply a tool, I am thankful for the fact that Ron support OAR and he has always sounded like a pretty straight-shooter to me. I simply find it puzzling to find traces of personal resentment regarding what he does in anyone's post. Ron was just thanking us for supporting the reviews, not asking us to justify the political autonomy of his endeavors.
Despite the fact that the Jonestown reference was meant as a joke, I hope it's understood that there's a massive difference between a cult mentality and civility.
Peace,
Joseph

Robert George

Screenwriter
Horatio, have you ever tried BetterCables? I think they make a great product and I recommend them to anyone looking for that last bit of performance from their audio/video system.
In fact, based on personal side-by-side comparions with other cables costing more money, I like them so much I've given them both a recommendation and put a banner on my site even though I don't get paid for it.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Horatio,

You might try leaving the cynicism out of the recipe for your posts, they are a little on the salty side. The whole world is not on the take.

Mike

Horatio Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Robert this really isn't the place to debate cables, this thread afterall is to talk about Ron's heroic acheivements. What say you and I talk about cables off line?

Horatio Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Robert- I was not trying to slam you at all. I was simply urging you to continue to push product.

I do agree with you though about the purpose of this thread...it was totally bent on self ego gratification. See we can get along.

Why don't we just agree to stop bickering back and forth over silly things and instead enjoy this friday afternoon.

Horatio Jones

Stunt Coordinator
indeed, there are movies to bought and beers to drink and I'm gonna play 9 holes if I can :) have a good weekend.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Haven't been around here for a few days.
Cheers for the review Ron, I look forward to you costing me more money in the future :)
:emoji_thumbsup:

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta agree with what most everyone is saying.
I trust Rons reviews, mostly because I know that if he doesn't like a movie he isn't afraid of tearing it apart.
Also, the kind of enthusiasm Ron shows when a studio does something right shines through in a way I rarely find in other reviews.
In other words: :emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
It seems from some email I got that my 'revisionist' approach to a previous post was misunderstood.

I apologize for any misunderstanding. It was meant as satire and no offence was intended to anyone, including Daniel L.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As someone who just hit my own milestone for reviews posted, congrats to Ron for the centennial mark. It's interesting when those of us who get "free" product for review get discredited when it is far more economical to go and buy the discs when the time it takes to review a title is factored in.
Still waiting for that Zardoz review. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks