What's new

Outlaw 950 pre/pro (1 Viewer)

Bill Polley

Second Unit
It's funny how much time I used to spend on this forum. Now I spend most of my time listening to my 950 instead of sitting at the computer comparing features. My 950 does everything that I ask, and does it better than any of the equipment I have owned over the last 25 years.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
This is from the Sound and Vision review of the 950:
And alongside its six-channel analog input is a little switch labeled Analog Bass Management. The Model 950 always sends bass content below 80 Hz from any of these channels to its subwoofer output regardless of the position of the switch; flipping the switch to its off position defeats the 80-Hz high-pass filtering on the five main channels.
That comment makes it sound like it's an intentional FEATURE that the 950 always sends bass content below 80 Hz from the 5.1 analog inputs to its subwoofer output regardless of the position of the switch.

Okay, so they did it on purpose. Can anyone explain to me WHY they would design this "feature" into the 950? It just seems wrong, no matter how I look at it.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Okay, so they did it on purpose. Can anyone explain to me WHY they would design this "feature" into the 950? It just seems wrong, no matter how I look at it.
You may want to try asking Outlaw. IMO very few people who can afford TRUE full-range speakers are going to be looking at the 950, so it's pretty much a non-issue.

Nick V

Second Unit
IMO very few people who can afford TRUE full-range speakers are going to be looking at the 950
I somewhat agree with that statement, but the fact that 'most' people that will own the 950 can't afford, or don't have full-range speakers does not mean that they don't have speakers that can reach well below 80Hz with aplomb. Most 'mains' in modest HT's will reach to at least ~60Hz, and I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of 950 owners that have speakers that go down to ~40Hz with respectable output.

IMO, that is everything but a non-issue.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I've had my 950/7100 combo for a couple of weeks now. So far so good. I don't have a DVD-A or SACD player yet so I can't speak on the bass management.

My one complaint about the 950 is the remote. I can get it to do must of the things I want it to do but I have to use unconventional buttons to program. Because of this, my wife can't operate it without me around. There is nothing intuitive about using it. I'm looking into upgrading to either a MX-500 or MX-700.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I somewhat agree with that statement, but the fact that 'most' people that will own the 950 can't afford, or don't have full-range speakers does not mean that they don't have speakers that can reach well below 80Hz with aplomb. Most 'mains' in modest HT's will reach to at least ~60Hz, and I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of 950 owners that have speakers that go down to ~40Hz with respectable output.
IMO, that is everything but a non-issue.
Every prepro on the market is going to have certain limitations that exclude a few users. That's why we choose what we choose to buy. This is nothing but another usability quirk just like receivers that don't have enough digital inputs, only have one tape loop, --insert limitation of whatever processer--, or whatever. A molehill, made into a mountain.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Whether it's a mountain or a mole hill, I'd just like to know what the reasoning behind it was. It just doesn't make sense to me... If they had say, made the analog 80Hz filter ALWAYS on, that would make more sense (and align with what you are saying about most people don't have full range speakers) than the current configuration. As it is, you can only defeat half of the crossover... so you may as well not defeat any of it. I can't imagine a situation where one would want only the hpf defeated.

As for asking the Outlaws, I've posted over on the Outlaw forum as well.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I think you should actually write the real Outlaws an email and ask them. I don't think any of us have a clue as to why they would do that. Same thing with Rotel and their Max/on subwoofer problem. We can tell you how it effects the bass, but if you want to know the reason I believe you would have to ask the people who designed it. I agree, it is broken but it doesn't affect me. Its like Bill Buckner, just because I know why he missed the baseball does't change what is reality. It is what it is. Sorry I couldn't be more help but I really think you need to ask the engineers who decided to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Green Mountaineer
Recent bookmarks