What's new

Outlaw 950/750 or 950/7100 (1 Viewer)

Brent-T

Grip
Just wondering which one of these combo's would give me more long term pleasure/value. I originally had leaned toward the 750 for the extra power, and because initially I will only be running a 5.1 setup. However, I may eventually want to go to a 7.1 configuration. I will be pushing 4 ohm polk audio lsi15's as mains, lsi9's as rears, and the room is approximately 16wx30lx10h. Anyone out there with similar experiences? What combo did you go with and why? The wife's trying to keep me as upgrade proof as possible, but I want the sound! Thanks in advance for any help.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
4 ohm speakers and a pretty big room....I'd go with the bigger amp, the 750.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I was thinking down the line, he can get a 2nd 750 and biamp his mains :) but I'll defer to Frank's advice. 165W into 4 ohms is pretty good.

Brent-T

Grip
Well, that's one vote for the power and two for the channels. Since this is my first venture into sep's I guess I'll either wait for some more feedback or just wing it. Great looking ht room Frank. I bet it just rocks in that room. Just out of curiosity, did you ever consider the 9's instead of the 15's with that sunfire sub in the corner? I'm currently trying to decide between the two, and wanted to know how much difference that passive 8" provides in the 15's.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Brent,
Thanks! I'm a floorstanding kinda guy so I never really considered the 9's. I have heard them though and they do sound damn good by themselves. Keep in mind that the 9's are not setup to be wall mounted like the 7's are.

The 15's are great by themselves for 2 channel music, but they need a little help when it comes to multichannel movies/music. Between the 15's and the Sunfire sub, I don't need to use buttkickers!

Are you planning on putting the rear speakers a full 30' away from your mains?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think with 4 ohm speakers you're going to want more juice. You can always get a couple 200s to fill out the rears.

Greg Hart

Auditioning
I'm also looking for an amp to power the 9's up front, 7's in the rear and LSiC. I too was thinking on the 7100 (however ugly) and was wondering how well this amp would sound using my H/K 320 as a preamp. It has preamp outs for 7 channels. Also wondering what rear channel speaker and sub would mate with this setup. The H/K 320 seemed to work pretty hard just pushing the R series, especially using the Logic 7 modes so I know there is no way it will push the LSi's at the volume I prefer. Was thinking B&K, Rotel, etc. but the outlaw seems to be the best for my budget. Perhaps a matching preamp in the future.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

This upgrade thing is getting way out of hand but damn I love my music and H/T!!

Brent-T

Grip
Frank, my 9's in the rear will set about 25' from my mains, but since they will be on stands I will be able to move them come movie time. The replies are pretty evenly split between the 750 and the 7100. I'm probably leaning towards the juice and adding more amps if I decide to go 7.1. I do like it loud!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks