What's new

outlaw 1050 now, or wait on 950/750? (1 Viewer)

Brent-T

Grip
Since I'm working on a budget, and trying to keep the WAF up, I've recently run across the outlaw 1050 as an alternative for getting started. I really want the outlaw 950/750 but just don't have the money to do that after purchasing the polk audio lsi9's. My question is this: If I get the 1050 now so I can enjoy some two channel music, and add the 750 later, how much, if any, sound difference will I here using the 1050 as a pre/pro over the 950. I don't have much intention of going 7.1 any time soon, and was just wondering what differences I could expect going this way. Oh yeah, how much will I really miss dolby pro logic II? Thanks in advance.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I can't really comment on everything but I think DPLII is a pretty nice thing to have. Quite a few movies are encoded in stereo surround, even on DVD. It also works well for general TV watching, and for playing Gamecube games.

Mark

NickSP

Supporting Actor
If 6.1 is not important then you could go on audiogon.com snd check out some decent used gear. You will find some good buys on older prepros around $400 and an amp for around $500 (Parasound 80W X 5). This might be stretching your budget a bit but it will sound better than the 1050 IMO.

Brent-T

Grip
Can anyone comment on the sound differences (if any) between the 1050 and 950 being run by the same amplification?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Brent:

I have both. If you wanted the latest and greatest in decoding then the 950 is the way to go. Using the 1050 as a pre/pro will work and sonically for DD and DTS it will sound about the same. But then you give up DD EX, DTS ES and PLII.

For THE best sound and flexibility I would wait to buy the 950 and either the 750 or 770. Or you could go the monoblock way like Torgny did.

I personally believe that the 950/750 or 770 is the WAY to go both for flexibilty and improved performance over the 1050 with the 750 or 770.

Parker

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I have never heard the 1050 and can't compare it to the 950. But I have the 950, and Outlaw's monoblock amps (after speaking with Outlaw, I decided that the monoblocks were the way to go though they cost just a little more than the 770) and am very happy with them. They sound great and have more power than I think I could ever use, with either home theater or music. It may be worth waiting . . .

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
on the outlaw boards, www.outlawaudio.com this question has been asked a lot of times...

people there were running the original 750 (no longer made) and the 1050 while waiting for the 950 to come out. Those people seemed to really like the combo...

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks