1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Outland Bluray (my mini review)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Paul_Warren, Jul 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren Well-Known Member

Paul Warren
    Just finished watching my import purchase (not sold in the UK yet). Come on WB you should know this will sell well!!!
    Superb catalog release from WHV. Picture is very natural looking minimal DNR if any applied. Very clean detailed image. No scratches/marks/hairs I could see. A very fine print for the HD master has been used here or WHV did some excellent cleanup work. Audio is also good for the era with some deep bass in places. You get a menu before the movie starts & the extras are minimal (director commentary + trailer). Jerry Goldsmiths score sounds very omnious & menacing.But the real star here is the actual movie, acting, atmosphere,direction,set design,music, editing are all top notch. Connery & Sternhagen steal the show here but everyone gives a decent performance. The pacing is a little slow toward the end but the payoff is worth it. Peter Hyams is a very underrated director this is one of his best movies.
    For most viewers this will be the first time they have ever seen the movie in all its glory as the previous DVD's were shockingly poor.If you have never seen this movie you are lucky its a real treat on Bluray & sadly makes you realise how the lost art of storytelling is rapidly being lost on modern cinema. They could not recreate the tone of this movie today in any way/shape/form which is a real shame but at least the BD preserves this golden era forever. Hope you enjoy some of the screenshots I took (and yes it is very grainy in places but when in motion not as noticeable it looks very natural indeed!).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Premium
    Supporter

Neil Middlemiss
    Outstanding. I've had this on pre-order since it was announced. A favourite of mine. Thanks for the mini-review, Tuesday can't get here quick enough (I have new speakers arriving that day so this will be the first movie to test them out)!

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks for the screenshots. This film was atrocious on DVD (it was bad on laser, and worse on DVD from the same master). It looks like finally all that lined detail will look like it should, without becoming a mess of moire. Looking forward to my copy arriving.

4. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Well-Known Member

Rob
    This was supposed to be released July 10th here in Canada. I hear now it is delayed a week to July17th.

5. Harry-N

Harry-N Well-Known Member

Harry N.
    Something made me think of OUTLAND today, so I came here to see if it ever made it to something better than the awful DVD. Looks like it has.

Gee, for a highly regarded film that got an upgrade almost a year ago, I don't see much talk about it here. Oh well - off to order it.

Harry

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The blu-ray looks great.

7. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Well-Known Member

Doug Wallen
    The blu-ray is excellent. Have enjoyed this film several times since making the purchase last year.

Doug

8. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Well-Known Member

Jeffrey Nelson
    I picked this up as well, having never seen it before. It's an EXCELLENT film with an EXCELLENT Blu-ray transfer. Top marks all around, even if the only extras are a commentary and trailer -- at least it HAS extras! A must-buy, along with the others that came out around the same time -- ALTERED STATES (absolutely AMAZING transfer), COMA and BRAINSTORM.

9. Harry-N

Harry N.
    I guess it's part of a trend that if there's little or no discussion of a title, it's generally excellent. It's more often than not the problem titles that generate the most discussion.

Harry

10. Reggie W

Reggie W Well-Known Member

Gregory Arkadin
    Honestly the blu-ray is a revelation compared to any other home video presentation of the film. If you like this film or science fiction it is a must own.

11. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    There was another thread announcing this title and other WB sci-fi titles being released at the same time. Most of the discussion was there.

Edit: Found it

12. Harry-N

Harry N.
    Thanks for pointing the way. I don't know why my searches didn't turn up that thread.

Harry

13. Harry-N

Harry N.
    I got to watch a little bit of OUTLanD today. It's so much better than the old DVD and LaserDisc. I seem to remember that the LaserDisc was moderately acceptable for the old 27" CRT TVs of the day - at least it was a widescreen presentation, which was better than the cropped VHS.

But the disappointing DVD was just so bad that I haven't been able to get more than about ten minutes into the film before I had to turn it off. The Blu-ray is a revelation, and brings back the wonder of the theatrical experience.

Harry

14. andySu

andySu Well-Known Member

The surrounds on Brainstorm bluray are botched up!

They have front leakage reverb into the surrounds.

The Dolby AC-3 Laserdisc pure 100% isolated.