What's new

Outer Limits (2nd Series) Question (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Greiling

Auditioning
I bought both of the 2nd Outer Limits series (the one that was done in the 90's) release and was wondering if any other discs for the second season have been rumored.

On a similar note how does the orginal series compare to the new series I am thinking of picking up the Volume 1 Collection of the Orginal Series.

richardWI

Second Unit
The only things they have in common are the name and sci-fi genre. The producers of the 90's series weren't exactly fans of the original series. When one of those producers was asked which of the original episodes was his favorite he noted that the series had been done "in the Fifties." (?!)

The original series has some of the best, hard edged, no apologies, sci-fi you're likely to find in sixties TV.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I am also pretty fond of the Outer Limits new series. I haven't even heard rumors of a release. Strange for a series that ran like 5 or 6 seasons.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've heard rumors but nothing worth passing on. It was disheartening to see New Outer Limits releases missing from the list that allegedly shows MGM releases for the indicated months, since Outer Limits (first series) Season 2 is on there.

But we must keep in mind that not all of their plans may be revealed yet, and we still have no idea just how accurate that list (which I relayed here on HTF from a post in another forum) really is.

We'll see. Rest assured that I'm keeping my eyes peeled for more releases of The New Outer Limits, and if I hear of any I'll post it pronto!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Outer Limits season 2 is coming out? FANTASTIC! Now I can get a (hopefully) nice clean copy of my favorite episode Demon with a Glass Hand.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And just how good is the original series? I'll go one further than some of the above posts: It's the finest-ever science-fiction series. The emphasis was on telling stories. Special effects are not the issue. Instead, it's about mood, tone, evocativeness, etc. And intelligence.

Second season's "Demon With a Glass Hand," scripted by Hugo Award-winning writer Harlan Ellison, is in my list of the ten best SF films/dramas ever made.

Some of the teleplays could have been stage plays. It's the topicality that matters, not the lack of SFX bells and whistles that clutter what Hollywood now passes off as "science fiction."

And, effects be damned, the producers at least attempted to show aliens that really look and act like something alien to this planet. One is so drawn into the stories the overall effect is one of believability.

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator
With Volume 2 of the original series due to come out this fall, I wonder if there will be any extras with it, as there are only 17 episodes.

--Randy S.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
There was also a sense of sheer eerieness and paranoia, added to the noirish settings that gave the series an edge that wouldnt please sponsors today-and is lacking in the new series.

Many stories had to do with a malevolent collusion of Government/Military and Science going past the boundaries of common sense or decency, things that the new series seems not dwell upon in quite the same way.

Some of my favorite stories have to do with pure science and Physics, like The Galaxy Being, Borderlands, and It Crawled from the Woodwork...

Leslie Stevens and Joseph Stephano were true visionaries...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks