What's new

Out of the past (1 Viewer)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Anybody have an idea who owns the rights to this classic film noir? I have a really worn VHS copy (taped off AMC, god bless 'em...) and would kill to get it on DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kenneth,
"Out of the Past" is an old RKO film in which Warner now owns the video rights.
Crawdaddy

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This was an RKO title, so odds are that it is controlled by Warner. If someone asked me what film noir was, I would show them either this film or Double Indemnity. What a great film!
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Normally, I'd kick in here with a comment about how if Warner owns it, fat chance. But, there appears to be speculation that Warner is speeding up their releases of classic films, so hopefully this will see the light of day sometime soon.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is one of my favorite films. Robert Mitchum is outstanding, and the plot is terrific! The best example of film noir, period.
I wish this title was available NOW!!
-Rodney

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
'Out of the Past' is currently available as a Region 2 (PAL) DVD; I received my copy from Amazon's French web site. I am also currently waiting for Amamzon's French site to ship 'The Narrow Margin', another famous film noir.
The 'Out of the Past' DVD cover is illustrated with the same original art work I've seen at Tim Dirks' web site; very nice! And the picture quality on the DVD is top-notch.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Here's hoping that a region 1 version is not too far away. And that it's of better quality than the OOP "Double Indemnity" (yes, different studio, etc) which was worse than the LD version -- very grainy, poor contrast, etc.
------------------

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
I finally caught this one on AMC a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't disappointed. Great flick, and Mitchum was absolutely perfect. I'd scoop it up on DVD in a second.
It cracks me up, though, that they call Against All Odds a remake of this movie. Apart from 'guy goes to Mexico to find gangster friend's girlfriend', they are nothing alike.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I just taped this off TCM. Looks like the print could use some digital clean-up, but I really hope Warner puts this on DVD soon.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sounds good to me. Mitchum's one of my favorites. BTW, does anyone know if Warner has Cat People? That flick crossed my mind as both it and OotP were directed by Jacques Tourneur...
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
SteveGon,
Yup, Warner has CAT PEOPLE (1942) now, since it was an RKO film, and part of the Ted Turner catalog. Same deal with the other 'film noir-ish' RKO horror films of the 1940s that were produced by Val Lewton:
I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE
THE LEOPARD MAN
THE SEVENTH VICTIM
THE BODY SNATCHER
CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE
THE GHOST SHIP
ISLE OF THE DEAD
BEDLAM

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let's hope Warner announces a "Film Noir" series before the end of the year, and starts it with this film.
-Rodney

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anyone else still waiting for this movie to be released on DVD? I would love it if Lowry Digital Image restored the print.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Out of the Past said:
They could start with Out of the Past - the quintessential film noir and follow it up with The Postman Always Rings Twice and Murder, My Sweet. I also wish Universal would start a film noir series (they had one on VHS) and release classics like The Killers, Criss Cross, Double Indemnity, Blue Dahlia, The Glass Key and This Gun For Hire.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Any word on an Out of the Past DVD hitting the USA anytime soon? This is such a wonderful film, and deserves a Special Edition.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching OotP again. Wow, what a great movie. Robert Mitchum plays this perfectly. I love the dialogue in this film. How great is it to have classic films at our fingertips? Sure beats the old days, waiting for it to show up on late night tv, and be cut-up with commercials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks