What's new

Out of the home theater realm for a while. Need help upgrading my speakers (1 Viewer)

Henry Hughes

Agent
Currenlty I have an old pair of axiom m60's, a vp100, and 3 qs4's. Im looking for the mains right now and probably will pick up the center channel that goes with the mains.

My budget is between 1700-2000 for the mains. I dont really know whats out there. I do like my axiom m60's and the new m80 v3's seem really nice but Im sure there is other stuff out there.

Also, is it best to buy the center channel that matches the mains?

And will my qs4's need upgrading also.

Thanks in advance.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If you generally like the Axiom sound but are looking to upgrade, you should start with other "Canadian" manufacturers. PSB and Paradigm are often considered an upgrade to Axiom. (I am an Axiom fan, have the M22s, so that should not be considered a criticism of Axiom.)

Yes, the center should absolutely match the left/right (called timbre matched), so that as a scene pans from side to side you don't get an abrupt change. It's not as important for surrounds, so you could keep the QS4s in place until you settle in on the mains.

By the way, if you have old Axioms, the version changes from v1 to v2 to v3 were supposed to be a significant upgrade in the crossover and tweeters; so if all else fails you could try out the newer models.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
As usual AI nailed it. Ill only add that I think PSB has a really solid B stock offerings that might save you some coin. Forget the site now, "saturday" something...

Henry Hughes

Agent
Type A said:
As usual AI nailed it. Ill only add that I think PSB has a really solid B stock offerings that might save you some coin. Forget the site now, "saturday" something...
Found it. Its saturdayaudio.com

Which psb speakers are best for home theater, gaming, and music?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
A good speaker is a good speaker, generally speaking the application is irrelevant. Towers will obviously do better without a sub and are generally preferred for music.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I have a pair of Image T6 mains and a C5 center and love them for both movies and music. I've had them for a number of years and they aren't going anywhere. I also have a pair of the Image S5 Bipoles for surrounds and a pair of ancient Alphas for my rear surrounds to round out the "7" in my 7.1 setup.

The Alphas are the last remnants of my first set of home theater speakers - 4 alphas and a matching center. They were solid performers for $100 bookshelves back in the day...

My subwoofer is a Paradigm 15"-er - got it through a friend at a great discount. It's more subwoofer than I think I'll ever need for my room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks