What's new

Out of Order season releases: Really Weird! (1 Viewer)

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
With the announcement of Shout! Factory releasing the 8th and final season of The Practice, instead of continuing with S2, I wanna know which other TV on DVD releases were out of order, instead of doing it properly.I hope Shout! Factory releases the other seasons of The Practice this year.....

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Walker, Texas Ranger First and Final Seasons were released simaltaniously, then all the other seasons were relased in order.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
And don't forget Season 14 of Law & Order. It got released in 2004 shortly after the death of Jerry Orbach. They didn't get to Season 13 until seven years later in November 2011, and not as a standalone until last November.

(Side note: I've never been able to figure why SVU gets all the love from Universal. It has extras, but not the mother ship -- which is far superior to SVU's "pervert of the week" format.)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The Beverly Hillbillies hasn't seen a proper S1 release yet so if and when it does it will be out of order.

Wezzo

Second Unit
Frasier S11 was released before S3-10.

The Simpsons S20 was released before S12 onwards.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Rick Thompson said:
And don't forget Season 14 of Law & Order. It got released in 2004 shortly after the death of Jerry Orbach. They didn't get to Season 13 until seven years later in November 2011, and not as a standalone until last November.

(Side note: I've never been able to figure why SVU gets all the love from Universal. It has extras, but not the mother ship -- which is far superior to SVU's "pervert of the week" format.)
Seemed like both the original L&O series and Criminal Intent were released hap-hazzardly and never in any logical progression.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can understand releasing S8 of The Practice first, since it's essentially Boston Legal season 0, BL is complete on DVD, and they can advertise William Shatner and James Spader to get people who might not usually think of buying The Practice to buy the set, maybe enjoy it, and come back for future releases.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There were a few series that I think would have benefitted from an out of order release.For some shows, there was major retooling after an early season (cast changes, location changes, etc.) where the later seasons were the more popular, well remembered versions.In some cases, it was almost like two different shows (My Three Sons - Frawley/Considine vs Demarest/''Ernie')Since the rule of thumb was later season releases were contingent on sales of prior releases, some shows suffered by releasing less popular seasons first (more people remember Newhart after Scolari/Duffy joined).I think Dark Shadows did better starting at the Barabas era.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
David Weicker said:
I think Dark Shadows did better starting at the Barabas era.
That is probably why they were 'released' first. Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Doctor Who are being released one story at a time, in random order.However since the time they started the releases in the late nineties, a couple of season sets were released due to season-arcing stories: Seasons 16 and 23.Also, the eight most recent seasons have come out in order, even though the early ones are still coming out story by story.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
THe longest stalled title on DVD, "The Joey Bishop Show" released its second season first, though it was the first season under a totally revamped format. The same company also gave us "Make Room For Daddy" starting with the first Marjorie Lord season which was S6 and we only got one season after that from a different company meaning we just have two years from the middle of an 11 year run. Both shows were starting with their more "popular" format, but I think the average buyer who sees a Season 6 or a Season 2 first is for the most part going to avoid it on the grounds that he'll think he's missing something or will be starting in the middle of something (today's serialized TV really reinforces that mindset)

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Well, The Virginian's last season -renamed as Men From Shiloh- came out before season 8, if I remember correctly. Also Wagon Train's sason 8, in color, came out -I think- before several of the previous seasons.
Didn't the same happened to Laramie? IK think the last two seasons, in color, were released before the first two, in black and white.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
The obvious reason the THE PRACTICE's final season is being released next is two fold: it was Spader's only season with the show and he is very popular right now with THE BLACKLIST doing so well. The second reason would be that the final season of THE PRACTICE was more or less a lead in to BOSTON LEGAL, which sold very well.

As for other shows, I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks