What's new

Out of Africa-DVD AR (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know what the OAR was of Out of Africa? The IMDB says 1.85:1 but that there was a 70mm blow up. The end credits says "Filmed in Technovision." The dvd looks weird. The image looks "large" with faces slightly big and wide. The end credits even have a larger than normal font. Is it possible that this print was accidentally taken from the 70mm version?

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure as to the exact ratio for "Out of Africa," but you might want to check out the Sydney Pollack interview on letterbox vs. pan/scan on the DVD of "The Interpreter". Pollack remarked that "Out of Africa" was the first film that he filmed in a less wide aspect ratio (presumably 1.85:1) and that the reason he did so was to minimize the loss of visual information due to pan/scan---he also acknowledged that "Out of Africa" was a film that would have benefitted from 2.35.1.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
1.85:1 can blow up to 70mm without changing the aspect ratio. The benefit would be the 6 track magnetic soundtrack (I'm talking about 1985 here).

Also, it's more expensive to transfer from 70mm, so I doubt it was done on mistake. The mid eighties did use big blocky titles so that doesn't surprise me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks