What's new

Other Shoe Drops: Will Blu-Ray be HDMI Only Too? (1 Viewer)

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
Well put Aaron, well put.

This connectivity stuff is evil...

Lets say the first discs can start out as play alone. I'd imagine all the nay-sayers saying "...see I told you that you wouldn't have to plug it in the wall..."

Then perhaps in the not so distant future a creative hacker figures out some hack - to decrpyt movies, or remove HDCP, or something. Given that, then it is not unreasonable to assume that future discs released could force peope into connectivity.

The possibilities are indeed gloomy.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Well, in that case, I'd expect to see Hollywood take a dramatic dip in profits as people stopped buying "internet-only" disks. :)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
They don't even need to have a phone jack to scare you. This is the wireless age, what's to keep manufacturers from secretly having a wireless phone inside each player? When you plug it in, automatically it communicates with the "mother ship" and at that point they'll get the info on what player you have by its serial number, and will identify it to the manufacturer, then they take control from there. Whenever they want to, they can simply pull the plug on your player and turn it into a 20 pound paperweight. Yeah, modern technology has gotten carried away...I'm sticking to my regular DVDs.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Well, you have to deal with the fact that it's an RCA. I'm suprised it's lasted this long! :D

A non-flat HDTV with 1 component input...RCA had some nerve. I've dealt with those things, they are a nightmare. I hope you bought the extended warranty.

PS: Blu-ray will NOT require connectivity for it to work. I can gurantee it. The studios KNOW what a failure DIVX was, and they're not going to kill a new format they desperately need. Yes, desperately need. DVD is at market saturation and they need HiDef discs.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

You know I was leary about buying an RCA, but I've got to say it's HD picture is still one of the best I've ever seen. And my standard DVD's look great on it as well. It's one issue is connectivity.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI

Then they ought to face market realities and not alienate their customer base with new restrictions. Incidentally, for the people who toss around the word "Draconian", Draco was an ancient ruler of Athens who decreed the death penalty for everything, even loitering [overnight on the Acropolis, to be exact]. It was his habit to say that the least of crimes deserved death, and he could think of no fit punishment for the greater. Somehow, I'm thinking of felony provisions in copyright law here...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks