What's new

Other Shoe Drops: Will Blu-Ray be HDMI Only Too? (1 Viewer)

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
But to me "dynamic updates of compromised code" means plugging the player into something that talks back. Which has monitoring of content, data mining, and privacy issues written all over it.

I hope I am so wrong on this.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
No, I understand your concern. "Dynamic" means "change", though the connotation is "immediate change".

I'm not ready to cry "foul" until there's an official, "Yes, you must be plugged in to a phone line or internet to watch movies", though.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI

Well, since Sony owns something like 40% of the entire movie industry outright [MGM, Columbia-Tristar, and God-knows-what-else], they could make a big start without anybody's cooperation. I could live with exclusively Sony titles for a couple of years until the other studios realise that Sony is making money -- more money than they are -- despite their increased "losses" to "video piracy".

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

There is a movement underway to fight
the upcoming formats.

It has already received support from
a dozen websites from all over the world
including a major magazine.

...stay tuned

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
Ron:

The movement fight, as you call it, needs to be more brought out more from underwraps. Yes, I clearly know there is another thread on a similar topic where you discuss a boycott- and I have been following it as well. However, updates from you should be frequent (as neccessary), less intermixed within the threads, and more importantly specific.

I cannot determine if you are just concerned with the whole HDMI only issue, down-resolution likleyhood, or the telephone/internet issue. Perhaps your upset at all of the above.

The most important issue depends on who you talk to: HDMI? For early adopters it is. Connectivity of the device? For me and others that is the primary issue.

So, some specific details about the movement your cobbling together would be appreciated.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I agree with Tony. Terms and rationale for any boycott need to be better communicated and realized.

A boycott meant to merely prevent a "format war" as some would call it is something I cannot support, as the most effective strategy in that case would be to pick a side and support it, and we certainly have one format that is better than another in this case.

If it has to do with the HDMI issue I could possibly be on board, but the HDMI issue extends into things like the new DD and dts formats that I believe can only be transported over HDMI and won't support full channel support over SPDIF connections. Could be wrong on that one.

Not that I expect the studios to budge on the HDMI issue, of course.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

I don't mean to be so vague.

With new specs being introduced we are
still mulling over exactly what
issues need to be addressed.

A statement of sorts is now in the process
of being written up. It needs to be passed
around several websites and magazine that is
supporting it. Until I know exactly what
points our group want to address, I don't want
to post more than I need to.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
I can see why a format war is a bad thing but hdmi?

I know you guys across the pond all early adopted component displays, and for that you must feel cheated.

But i have to object to ruining the formats before we get to see them as in the uk most people have held off (through lack of choice) on buying new displays.

I for one welcome a full digital link up over an analogue one any day and my display is equiped to deal with this as i have done my reasearch on hdcp and dvi/hdmi.

All i can say is PLEASE think of others before your start this war and dont ruin it for the rest of us.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What does that mean exactly? We should buy into these formats (even if we're not happy with them) just so we can please others who are happy with them? No one who has problems with any product is obligated to feel that way.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I wonder how many of that six percent include people who have already invested in incompatable display devices? I wouldn't be surprised if 2/3 or more of HD sets currently in homes are not compatable.

As for rebuying titles in HD, personally I will be limiting this to very few titles, most of which may not see a HD release for a long time, if at all. That assumes that the format is useable on my current equipment, if not I won't be buying any at all, and I have already begun a massive scale back of DVD titles, perhaps 1-2% of my former buying.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Sorry, but this is a self-interest type of issue that I will not compromise on until I'm good and ready.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

dont think the usa rules the world i and every one i know wants blu-ray the uk exists too.
you dont want it dont buy it i will and i dont want people wrecking it for me

not happy with it? vote with your wallets and feet DONT BUY IT

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Not only are we free not to buy it, we are free to advise others not to. There were die hard laserdisc fans who didn't like it that things didn't go their way. That's the way it is with every format--success isn't guaranteed, whether you or anyone else wants it to be so. We aren't obligated to act according to your interest.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

then neither am i obligated to help your cause or agree with it.
but as with all forums the consensus rules and if anyone goes against it they are ostracized

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

We're not going to ostracized anybody that wants to buy into either of those formats, but many of us will not support those formats by refusing to spend our money on them and making our opinion known as to why we're not making such an investment.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks