What's new

Other Shoe Drops: Will Blu-Ray be HDMI Only Too? (1 Viewer)

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Well, not really a surprise since Sony is one of the founding members of the Advanced Access Content System but the Blu-Ray guys announced that they will go with AACS. AACS mandates down-rezing of high-def signals through component inputs. Here's the article with some quotes:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1845993,00.asp

I'm opting out of HD video.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
F**k them all, in that case. I'll stick with upconverted 1080i over component. Wow, I just saved a bundle!! Cheers.

DS.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
He'll buy an adapter and hook it up via composite like he does now. This affects movies, not games. It would shock me if they would not allow PS3 games to be seen in HD via component. If it's fine now, it will be fine for later. Movies are a different story.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

Presuming his 13" TV is capable of 1080i, he will be forced to accept a mere 480p. Hopefully he will not notice.

(actually, most likely the Blu-ray drives will have composite and/or S-Video outs as well as component and HDMI)

Mick Wright

Second Unit
I wonder how long it will be until cable and sat boxes are setup to down-rez HD over component connections. It has to be coming.

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator

No, I'm sure games discs will be granted permission under the AACS to pass through component inputs without downrezing. After all, the threat of the so-called analog hole is not the same for games as it is for movies; you're not going to "copy" a game by capturing the signal as it passes through the component input. So your PS3 games will play in 720p or 1080i/p in all their glory over components. Incidentally, XBox 360 games will also be HD through components.

It's too bad, I was looking forward to HD but there's no way I'm going to replace my TV AND my computer monitor to get it.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
What, you were surprised? The winner of the format war is going to be the one that makes the studios the happiest. Why do you think Fox jumped on board?

Well, if you and everyone else does it, hoepfully the studios will get the message. Thanks to our adamantly and stubbornly uneducated consumer culture, I wouldn't count on it

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Okay, that pretty much sets the stage for a full out boycott of HD. There is no way I am investing in any format that won't play on the high priced set I own, and I can only hope that the consumer backlash severely hurts these companies' bottom line. This is complete and utter bullshit. :angry:

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm stunned by this. Here is a technology that probably most J6P's will be slow to adopt anyway, and now they've made it even less attractive to them by requiring a HDMI connection to view the disks at 1080. WTF?

"Gee honey, should we buy this $20 DVD player or get this $200 Blu Ray player that'll wind up looking the same anyway?"

Am I understanding this right?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
If you've been paying attention, there are currently devices that will enable you to play HDCP encrypted bitstreams on non-HDCP compliant displays (including CRTs), although whether these devices will still work when HD discs are finally released is undetermined (little something called key revocation might screw things up) and there will be more devices in the future. Plus, there's always the Chinese ....

This shouldn't be a surprise; we've known that the analog outputs would be downrezzed to SD in the presence of an HDCP encrypted bitstream for quite a while. If they weren't, what would be the point of HDCP?

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator

I think you're far too pessimistic. The systems are so user un-friendly that people will simply not bother and stick with DVDs. I believe this will be DVD Audio/SACD/CD all over. The mass market will judge DVDs good enough and the studios will be forced to capitulate because they need HD video to take off to compensate for their stagnating DVD revenue. Ultimately, the market will force a retreat from their copyright extremism. It's just going to take some time. I'm willing to wait it out and do nothing to help the studios.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

Where? Dtrovision boxes, which have been hailed here as the thing to have in order to do this, are billed as "HDCP compliant"... which means that while it will pass a 1080i signal out its component end, it won't do so in the presence of a protected/encypted signal.

I know. I checked with the licensing body.

China is a legitimate (some might say illegitimate ;) ) possibility, though. At least until the keys used there are revoked.

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
I am OK with this as long as I don't have to plug the machine into the telephone jack. And NO, it has not been decided if that is truely the case as of yet.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
I'm with Tony. If this has to be hooked into a telephone or ethernet jack, it's a no-sale.

Otherwise (for me), I view the likelihood of something annoying occuring to disrupt the HD goodness as small compared to the enjoyment I will get out of prerecorded HD content.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

"well when you put it that way Hon i guess it doesn't matter. but , on the other hand, if we do get the Blu ray player, then we will be able to play HD discs 10 or 15 years from now, when we're ready. it would be much better not to have to buy another player in ten years when we upgrade out tv"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks