1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

OTA TV in Winchester, VA (antenna)

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Bryan J, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Bryan J

Bryan J Member

Recently moved to Northern Virginia (Winchester) and hoping to snag DC signals and not pay monthly to get broadcast channels. Anyone have experience in the geographical area? Based on Antennaweb, the nearest CBS and FOX towers are in DC.

Thanks!

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Cool, you did your due diligence with antennaweb. What antenna information did you get(color code/size)?From where you are, is a rotor necessary?

3. Bryan J

Bryan J Member

Well after 2 months having no tv my wife is wondering if I'll try again :).

I picked up Antennacraft 33 and a rotor. No signal amplifier yet. It's in the highest part of our attic since I can't put it outside in our neighborhood.

Via fcc/antennaweb/tvfool we have signals coming from due north, south and distant from the east (dc). Currently I can pick up the pbs stations and nbc, but that's it.

Tentative plan:
    1) Get an amplifier
    2) Keep testing different directions and then location for antenna.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    You can absolutely put up an outdoor antenna. Print out the FCC OTARD information and keep it handy for your HOA board to review when you get complaints.Antenna web is a great starting point but sometimes you need help from people who have gone through the trial and error already. AVS has a local HDTV section with threads on each DMA. You will be able to find people in your area who already get OTA signals so that you can copy their setup.

schan1269 likes this.
  5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I've helped people where I am as well. Luckily I live in a flat part of the country. I'm (straight air miles) 60 miles from 80% of the Chicago towers and 120 miles from Indianapolis. On really clear days I've picked up Grand Rapids, Fort Wayne and Urbana-Champaign. I doubt I'll ever get Milwaukee or Quad Cities(Chicago interference).Because of the pain involved resetting Indianapolis, I'm tempted to put up a 2nd antenna. The one I have can oversaturate some Chicago stations.But local help is always preferred.