What's new

OSD not working, suggestions needed (1 Viewer)

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I have a Harman Kardon AVR247 and am trying to get the OSD to work and am so far unsuccessful. I am using a yellow rca cable from the monitor out output on the receiver to the Video 2 input on the TV, and when I switch inputs on the TV and hit the OSB, nothing happens? I tried calling HK and was put on hold for a half hour so I thought I'd try here. Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It may be setup in the receiver's setup menus, to display the OSD over a different connection. If you can see the settings in the receiver's display, you can check to see. If not, you'll just have to try different things. Try an S-video cable, and if that doesn't work, try a set of component. If your receiver has HDMI inputs, try an HDMI cable. I set my Onkyo to display the OSD over HDMI, but could set it for anything.
Good luck!

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
The manual says to make sure that it's hooked up through a monitor video output, I can get the receiver to say "OSD ON" but can't get it on the tv, I'm going to try and track down an S-video cable and see if that works. I tried component video but it's only a yellow single output connection.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by SCcobra4me
I tried component video but it's only a yellow single output connection.
No, that's composite. Component is three cables together color coded red, green, and blue. Since I don't know how much you know, I'm going to ask a basic question.................. You know the tv isn't going to automatically, and suddenly show the OSD? You have to use the tv remote and choose the input, for whatever cable you're using to connect the receiver to the tv.
Sorry, but a lot of people don't realize you have to choose tv inputs for some stuff.

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I know a little bit but not as much as many on here. As to your last post, I do have a component monitor out on the back of the receiver, should I use this output and run it into component 1 in the back of the TV? Just not sure which output on the receiver to use, I get which input on the TV to use.

Thanks

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
There should only be one output on back of receiver for component. If you have two, try them both. I guess the S-video didn't work?

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Well I got it to work, the back of my receiver has a "monitor out" with a single composite output and a S-cable option, or two component "monitor out". I played with it and am getting away with only using the green output from the component cables, strange why I don't need all three, I have only the green to the back of the TV also. Thanks for the help.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
How old is the receiver.

Many older models provide on screen menus only in standard definition. Just the green cable going from a single video out or monitor out yellow or green jack to the TV green component input jack will display menus not requiring colors quite well.

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
It's about 2 or 3 years old, now if I could just get sound when I play regular DVD's through HDMI, I'd be set.

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Update, now I got the OSD to display through HDMI, not sure why it wasn't working before. And to get audio to play through regular DVD's, I had to run a separate digital coax cable from the blu ray to the receiver then switch it depending on what format I play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks