What's new

OS4.3 on the iPhone. When? (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
O.K. I keep getting e-mail notifications from Apple regarding OS4.3 on the iPad, the iTouch and the iPhone. I upgraded my iPad (version 1) to OS 4.3 very nicely, but when I plug in my iPhone iTunes tells me that OS 4.2.6 is the current latest version of the operating system for my iPhones (Mine and Sandy's).

So what's the story?
  • Why the delay on upgrading the OS on the iPhones?
  • Is OS 4.3 out for the iTouch? I no longer have my Gen 4 iTouch (and one very happy grand daughter)
  • Is the delay in rolling out OS 4.3 for the iPhone localized or is it nationwide?

Anybody know?

Thanks.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
What model iPhones are you using? 4.3 isn't supported on the 3G, only the 3GS and 4 GSM models. I have an iPhone 4 and it updated to 4.3 without issue.

-Keith

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I was wondering the same thing about my iPhone 4. I did a little research, and it appears that is is for GSM (AT&T) iPhone 4's only. The CDMA(Verizon) iPhone 4 that I have does not get the update.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Originally Posted by DennisBassi

I was wondering the same thing about my iPhone 4. I did a little research, and it appears that is is for GSM (AT&T) iPhone 4's only. The CDMA(Verizon) iPhone 4 that I have does not get the update.

Thanks for the information, Dennis. I also have a Verizon iPhone4 and that would explain why my phone's OS didn't update to 4.3. What I don't understand is why the type of iPhone you have (GSM or CDMA) is tied into whether or not you get an OS 4.3 update from OS 4.2.6. Why does the version of the phone you own have anything to do with the Operating system? Is Apple having a staggered roll out of OS 4.3 (AT&T first, then Verizon?)or is there another reason for this? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. In fact the e-mails I got from Apple on OS 4.3 was reminding me to update all my "i" devices to OS 4.3 as soon as possible. You would think that Apple would be a little clearer on all of this.

Very puzzling. Does anyone have an explanation for why Verizon phones apparently aren't getting the OS upgrade to 4.3?

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Apple has not disclosed the reason as to why Verizon customers have been left in the cold, but one of most notable features included in iOS 4.3, the addition of personal hotspots, is already built in to the Verizon iPhone 4. For the top stories in tech, follow us on Twitter at @PCMag.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's probably a fair guess we'll see unification this summer with iOS5.

I wouldn't worry about it. 4.3 on the iPhone 4 didn't bring any noticeable improvements.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

The modem drivers arent ready yet, they were very specific about this at the keynote. No date is set yet.

Thanks, Sam. I must have missed that during the keynote. I just wish that Apple would have noted this in their promotional materials regarding iOS4.3. There are a lot of people with Verizon iPhones and I bet most of us got promo material from Apple telling us to download 4.3 from iTunes.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Originally Posted by DaveF

I wouldn't worry about it. 4.3 on the iPhone 4 didn't bring any noticeable improvements.

Yes. I didn't notice any big change in 4.3 on my iPad1 so it wasn't a question of wondering if I was missing something important on my Verizon iPhones.

Thanks Dave.

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Smith
I think thats the main reason for the update. Theres nothing really new thats of note.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks