What's new

Original Super Friends, Season 1 Available on iTunes (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
I realize this is a DVD forum, but as this title has been eagerly anticipated on DVD by many I thought this news would be of some interest here. I just came across Super Friends, Season 1 for purchase on iTunes. It's available as individual 45:xx min episodes or the full season.

Would be nice to think this means they are coming out on DVD soon, but there is other animation that has been available on iTunes that hasn't come out on DVD such as Season 2 of The Jetsons.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
This doesn't make sense- why an iTunes release and not DVD??? Don't they know that this is the only season that counts?

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will

Aww please! It may be the only season that counts for you, but everyone who likes Superfriends has their own favorite season. Some agree with you, but I ain't one of 'em. I'll be happy to pick it up on dvd when it comes out so I can have all the eps of the whole series, and I hope it's soon for all those who did love this season.

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
werd Challenge and then the last 2 years of Super Friends in the 80's are my favorites.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

If they've gone to the trouble to convert these to digital it means they will come out on DVD eventually. By releasing the show on Itunes (and Amazon Unbox) first, they are simply testing the waters to see how to make the most money out of them. The 70s Batman cartoon was available on AOL's IN2TV well before it came out on DVD.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't think it's ever been in doubt every single incarnation of Super Friends will be on DVD before Warner calls it quits. They've been very good and consistent in all the previous releases, including the Filmmation series. There is no evidence to suggest they're going to abandon the franchise halfway through.

Charles, my friend, patience. :D

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Then how come practically every season BUT the first have come out on DVD? Conventional wisdom has that you release everything in chronological order!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I used to love the Superfriends. And then watching the superior Justice League Unlimited. I see how much they suck in comparison. That being said....Of course I still bought all of the Superfriend releases. ;)

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay

Charles, I've read here and elsewhere that the reason the first season wasn't released first was that some work was needed on the physical elements. The various incarnations of the Super Friends have sold well, so I don't doubt S1 will be released.

Warner also has plenty of other animated projects unreleased that will likely be released: the rest of the New Adventures of Superman (sans Superboy shorts), Batman with Robin the Boy Wonder (60s Filmation) and the 1988 Ruby-Spears Superman series.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Actually, the first season of "SuperFriends" on iTunes IS NOT digitally remastered. I checked out a preview of the first episode and it has a lot of hairlines and grain throughout the preview.

I am not surprised at all that this first season is on iTunes before DVD. iTunes is the nation's number one retailer for music and movies. Second is Best Buy and then Wal-Mart. The digital download age is here. It is far less expensive for the studios to make available their products through this medium. They do not have to make so many thousands of copies of each title manufactured on a disc and hope like crazy that they sell. Instead, it is available for sale by having the product on a hard drive unit someone is ready for download. By going this route, WB has alleviated the risk of monetary output for the SuperFriends. I wish they would make available the rest of the Huckleberry Hound library and the other Yogi Bear shows through this medium.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

I would like to know this too...I have been told it isn't, which for me defeats the whole purpose!

todd s

Senior HTF Member

These are the ones I am waiting for. Sucks that we won't see the the Superboy shorts.

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
What exactly still needs to be released on DVD besides the 'first season'? I've been collecting all the Superfriends releases and am curious to know what's still missing.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

From Wikipedia and Amazon, I've tried to connect each season with its DVD release. If I made an error, please correct it:

1973-1974 series, Super Friends (Wendy & Marvin) - On Itunes/Unbox

1977-1978 season: The All-New Super Friends Hour" - On DVD

1978-1979 season: All-New Super Friends - On DVD
Challenge of the Super Friends - On DVD

1979-1980 season: The World's Greatest Superfriends (8 episodes)

1980-1982 seasons: The Super Friends Hour (42 shorts)

1983-1984: The "Lost" Super Friends episodes (24 episodes)

1984-1985 season: Super Friends: Legendary Super Powers Show - On DVD

1985-1986 season: The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians - On DVD

Not much left.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Not quite. The current DVD set only has 8 of the 16 episodes from the 1977-1978 season. I expect the next Super Friends release will be The All-New Super Friends Hour, Volume 2. I wonder when that's going to be announced?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Perhaps the first season's availability on iTunes signals that it is in the DVD pipeline for release this year?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Ha ha, same here. Those Aquaman cartoons where dreadful, with Aqualad calling him big daddy. Hasn't slowed down my pre-ordering though. I'm still waiting for the episode of Superfriends that was a rip off of Lord Of The rings with Batman and wonderwoamn being turned into hobbits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks