What's new

Original Star wars on DVD (2 Viewers)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Maybe I'm being naive, but I just don't fathom Lucas holding back the original theatrical versions when the time comes that the OT is finally released on DVD.

Lucas is a shrewd business man and one thing he knows how to do well is build anticipation. I believe that his saying that the theatrical versions are all but forgotten is a lie.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I really do believe he will make the theatrical verions some limited special edition box set that costs loads of money. If he does that, I would have no qualms about purchasing it.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
(and before anyone asks for the 52,000th time, no those DVDs on Ebay are not real, they're nasty low quality bootlegs)
Yeah, really. Before I knew better, I bought a set. They were advertised as DTS and "Anamorphic WS". NEITHER! IF you can get DTS to work, it's the same sound in every channel!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'm being naive, but I just don't fathom Lucas holding back the original theatrical versions when the time comes that the OT is finally released on DVD.
A few weeks ago, a Lucasfilm spokesperson said that they ARE aware of the public's demand for the original films and the petition effort. I also believe Lucas will eventually make the originals availible on DVD along with the Archival Editions he's no doubt planning.

And let me just say that I don't find the above cartoons by Dan Shogren funny or accurate at all. Say what you will about Lucas, but I don't think his decision for withholding the originals is out of contempt or malice for the public who want it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It's not called realism, Richard...it's called a joke. I agree that he isn't purposely trying to hurt his fans...but he's no doubt lost touch.

Luis A

Second Unit
Lost touch?? :confused:

GL gave everyone the chance to own the originals "one last time" a few years back. This is something we have known for years, and surely is no surprise.

I for one hope he sticks to his guns, and is finished releasing the OT in it's original form on any format. Whatever version is released will be purchased by millions, and whoever doesn't it will be their loss. :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm going to bow out early and not turn this into another George Lucas sucks/doesn't suck thread.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Luis, the problem for me is that when the 'last time' rolled around, DVD's were non-existant. In order to have good tapes that I could play over and over for years and years would have required me to buy more than one set to last me until I die.

I think that is why a lot of people are mad. He could have taken out his best sets and ripped off DVD's years ago, and it would not have required any supervision at all. Crap, a legal LD copy (edit) onto DVD would have kept me happy.

I really think too that if they don't come out, some people just won't buy 4-6 in any way, shape or form - and yes, I am looking forward to see the stupid look on his face when his sales aren't as high as expected.

I really can't imagine anybody in their right mind forgoing those lost sales, and with hardly any effort, too.

Glenn

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I think that is why a lot of people are mad. He could have taken out his best sets and ripped off DVD's years ago, and it would not have required any supervision at all. Crap, a legal LD copy would have kept me happy.
Isn't that exactly what was done in 1993 and 1995? :confused:

DJ

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Glenn,

You're exactly right. When he released the Original Trilogy for the "last time" we didn't have the option of buying them on DVD. He released them on dying formats(VHS and Laserdisc) and now we have no chance of ever getting them on a quality medium that will preserve these classic films. Maybe enough people will sign the petition at www.originaltrilogy.com to convince him to change his mind, but I'm not holding my breath. He has repeatedly said that the original versions don't convey his "vision" of the films and they will never be released on DVD. Yeah, that whole Greedo shooting first idea is some vision, isn't it? I wish he would wake up and realize that millions of people grew up on these films and we would like to have them preserved on DVD. Is that too much to ask?

Luis A

Second Unit
I see where you are coming from Glenn, and Brent, but not even GL can see the future ;) and know what formats are around the corner. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own the "original" original trilogy on DVD, but knowing what was said in '93 I never expected it too be released on it.:)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Honestly, Lucas has not obligation to release the OT on DVD...but that doesn't mean that we can't want it. Part of the problem is that Lucas seems to appreciate his fans...but he won't explain his decision to ignore them on this matter.

I know the general argument is that the originals weren't his "vision," and therefore he shouldn't have to release them. In '77, '80, and '83 he certainly didn't have problems with releasing "bastardized" versions of his vision. I guess I just wish he'd take a note from Spielberg's book and release both versions.

Once again, I'm not saying that he's obligated to appease the fans. And I know I said I wouldn't get into a debate...but since the discussion appears to be going that way, I figured "what the hell!" :D

Luis A

Second Unit
I guess I just wish he'd take a note from Spielberg's book and release both versions.
Well, he has released both versions. Not on DVD, but both versions of the OT are out there for people to buy right now. Honestly does it really matter what format these movies are released on? Does watching these film on VHS or LD diminish our enjoyment of these films? Or not having them in anamorphic widescreen? For me hell no.:)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I know the general argument is that the originals weren't his "vision," and therefore he shouldn't have to release them. In '77, '80, and '83 he certainly didn't have problems with releasing "bastardized" versions of his vision.
TRUE. I mean c'mon, Han shooting first then not shooting first. How can you possibly claim that the way he did it orginially was not his vision? Did Greedo hold a gun to GL's head and force him to release the first version making Han more like a cold-blooded killer? (assuming Greedo's cold-blooded). :D

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Being that the original will be about 30 years old once episode three is released to DVD, I wonder if Lucas' vision is to simply refilm Episodes 4 - 6 with new actors, the same story line with subtle additions?

This will allow for newer digital technologies including CGI to (in his vision) further enhance the original experience.

I can see it... digitally filmed, makes room for (gasp) Episodes 7 and forward. The third generation will be all over that like lawyers to a plane crash.

On the flipside... if this is the plan, Episodes 4 - 6 will be released BEFORE they announce refilming.
;)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Not on DVD, but both versions of the OT are out there for people to buy right now.
Where are they available to buy?

I haven't seen either version (original or SE) in Widescreen at my local Best Buy on any format. I continue to see the occasional P&S version of the late 2000 release of the '97 SE's on VHS. I think you would have to agree that a P&S abomination on a low-resolution format is pretty much useless from a HT perspective.

I did try a year ago to special order the 1997 SE VHS Widescreen versions (last released in late 2000) from Suncoast and was told that they've been totally sold out of those for at least a year. (Of course, they had about 10 boxes of the P&S "versions" sitting there on the floor collecting dust.)

Now, I suppose you're going to tell me that they're available at E-Bay. Sorry, to me that's not the same as being "out there for people to buy right now."

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, he has released both versions. Not on DVD, but both versions of the OT are out there for people to buy right now. Honestly does it really matter what format these movies are released on? Does watching these film on VHS or LD diminish our enjoyment of these films?
So it makes no difference to you whether you watch a DVD or VHS of any movie? Can you say that honestly? I have some old VHS tapes, would you trade me even-steven for your DVD copies of them since it would make no difference?

Look, while your argument has some merit (in that films are great in and of themselves) to say that DVDs aren't necessary and that VHS is the same experience is not a view commonly shared here in HTF. Otherwise we'd all be admitting to just wasting our money on this DVD thing when there are perfectly acceptable VHS versions out there right now!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Luis,

It definitely matters what format these films are released on. If it didn't matter, everyone here would still be watching VHS instead of DVD. Once you're accustomed to a high quality anamorphic widescreen DVD picture and Dolby Digital/DTS sound, going back to VHS is like watching black and white TV. It's the year 2003 and the fact that we don't have Star Wars on a high quality format is an abomination! I find it hard to believe that Lucas is oblivious to the desires of his fans, but at this point, maybe he's got so much money that he doesn't even care anymore.

Luis A

Second Unit
I hear you arguments guy's, but let's stick with the facts. Fact, these films are out in the world for you to buy. Fact GL gave everyone the chance to own the original trilogy films "one last time."

GL will release the OT with additions on DVD sometime after EP3, it won't be the same we saw in '77 '80 and '83, there will be additions made to the films, so those of us who are anal about having these on a higher quality format will get them eventually. :)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Does watching these film on VHS or LD diminish our enjoyment of these films?
Not necessarily, but knowing that we will not be able to enjoy these movies in the best possible method based on current technology does create a regrettable tone, even to the point of slight resentment. To many, that will not make the movie itself less enjoyable, but it will make the experience of watching that movie less enjoyable, knowing that the presentation is far less than what it could be.

The same argument could be made for watching a movie on a B&W TV as opposed to color or a 13" TV as opposed to a 35" TV or in monaural sound instead of DD 5.1.

(SORRY! I meant DTS! God forbid that a DVD doesn't have DTS on it! :rolleyes:)

Hmmmmm....

On that last note, you also need to consider that some people can't resist creating a "bitch/complaint thread" when a DVD of a popular movie doesn't have DTS, even if it has a high-bitrate DD track. Based on that, do you actually think that people will consider VHS resolution to be an acceptable alternative to DVD resolution? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks