What's new

Original "Outer Limits" coming to DVD from MGM ! (1 Viewer)

tracy.smith

Auditioning
I found this information out from a friend. That is all of the information I have, but I hope this helps people.

Good and bad news. Good news is:

Please be informed that the Outer Limits Original Series will be released on DVD on September 3, 2002. At that time, we will release the full first season (1963-1964) which includes all 32 episodes. In addition, we will also release the best of the new Outer Limits Series in 2 collections, The Outer Limits - Sex and Science Fiction Collection and The Outer Limits - Time Travel and Infinity Collection. Each disc will include 6 episodes and will also be released on September 3, 2002. Bad news:No information at this point on the remaining 33-49? When I asked if these will ever be released to DVD the answer was "I don't have that information at this point. "

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
tracy, being vague, could you tell us a bit about your source. I hope we get a complete Season 1 in September. I sure hope they don't go through with the "best of the new Outer Limits" sets...

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Hmm, what Tracy said would tend to explain something -- that we got the whole first season of the original series in to work on, and only a few random episodes of the new series.

I have no further information on the DVDs, unfortunately, except that we have not seen hide nor hair of the original season two.

Phil_William

Auditioning
Can someone verify if the below is correct? I am focused on what was aired during the first season, as it may appear that is what we will get in DVD first. Also, does anyone know if the complete first season made it to laser disc? Were there any second season episodes released to laser disc? Would this some how explain the seemingly lack of infor on release of second season?

Thanks!

1st Season 1963

1- 1 16 Sep 63 The Galaxy Being

1- 2 23 Sep 63 The Hundred Days of the Dragon

1- 3 30 Sep 63 The Architects of Fear

1- 4 7 Oct 63 The Man With the Power

1- 5 14 Oct 63 The Sixth Finger

1- 6 28 Oct 63 The Man Who Was Never Born

1- 7 4 Nov 63 O.B.I.T.

1- 8 11 Nov 63 The Human Factor

1- 9 18 Nov 63 Corpus Earthling

1-10 2 Dec 63 Nightmare

1-11 9 Dec 63 It Crawled Out of the Woodwork

1-12 16 Dec 63 The Borderland

1-13 23 Dec 63 Tourist Attraction

1-14 30 Dec 63 The Zanti Misfits

1-15 6 Jan 64 The Mice

1-16 13 Jan 64 Controlled Experiment

1-17 20 Jan 64 Don't Open Till Doomsday

1-18 27 Jan 64 ZZZZZ

1-19 3 Feb 64 The Invisibles

1-20 10 Feb 64 The Bellero Shield

1-21 17 Feb 64 The Children of Spider County

1-22 24 Feb 64 Specimen Unknown

1-23 2 Mar 64 Second Chance

1-24 9 Mar 64 Moonstone

1-25 16 Mar 64 The Mutant

1-26 23 Mar 64 The Guests

1-27 30 Mar 64 Fun and Games

1-28 6 Apr 64 The Special One

1-29 13 Apr 64 A Feasibility Study

1-30 20 Apr 64 The Production and Decay of Strange Particles

1-31 27 Apr 64 The Chameleon

1-32 4 May 64 The Forms of Things Unknown

2nd Season 1964

2- 1 19 Sep 64 Soldier

2- 2 26 Sep 64 Cold Hands, Warm Heart

2- 3 3 Oct 64 Behold, Eck!

2- 4 10 Oct 64 Expanding Human

2- 5 17 Oct 64 Demon With A Glass Hand

2- 6 24 Oct 64 Cry of Silence

2- 7 31 Oct 64 The Invisible Enemy

2- 8 7 Nov 64 Wolf 359

2- 9 14 Nov 64 I, Robot

2-10 21 Nov 64 The Inheritors (1)

2-11 28 Nov 64 The Inheritors (2)

2-12 5 Dec 64 Keeper of the Purple Twilight

2-13 19 Dec 64 The Duplicate Man

2-14 26 Dec 64 Counterweight

2-15 2 Jan 65 The Brain of Colonel Barham

2-16 9 Jan 65 The Premonition

2-17 16 Jan 65 The Probe

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Phil, that list looks correct.... I can't speak for the laserdisc releases, but all 49 episodes made it to VHS. Actually, "The Inheritors" was (rather clumsily) edited into one extra-long episode for the video release, so there were 48 tapes. I'd be interested to hear if this episode was similarly butchered on laser (if it was released on laser at all). Anyone?
In any case, I'm sure the sales of the first season DVD set will dictate whether or not the second season sees a release. Money talks, people! I for one will DEFINITELY be getting season one. Who's with me? ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
More often than not, The Outer Limits was the real thing, true science fiction. It was the best such series ever to grace the tube. And I will be the proud owner of the first season come this September 3.

"We are in control. ..."

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Craig,
The Inheritors was not released to Laser Disc. For those who might be curious, four LD boxsets were released...
Outer Limits Collection 1
The Galaxy Being
The Architects of Fear
The Mutant
Fun and Games
Demon With a Glass Hand
Soldier
Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Chameleon

Outer Limits Collection 2
Nightmare
The Zanti Misfits
The Man Who Was Never Born
The Bellero Shield
It Crawled Out of the Woodwork
The Form of Things Unknown
The Brain of Colonel Barham
The Probe

Outer Limits Collection 3
The Man with the Power
The Sixth Finger
Corpus Earthling
Don't Open Till Doomsday
A Feasibility Study
The Duplicate Man

Outer Limits Collection 4
Controlled Experiment
O.B.I.T.
The Hundred Days of the Dragon
Tourist Attraction
Keeper of the Purple Twilight
Specimen: Unknown

I have three of the boxsets and they are some of my favorite LDs. I'm eagerly looking forward to an eventual DVD release of this series; partly so that those without the LD or tape releases can experience the awe and mystery of The Outer Limits :), and partly so that I can complete the collection.
- Walter.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
we will also release the best of the new Outer Limits Series
Ack! I thought (hoped) we'd seen the last of these "best of" DVDs. :thumbsdown: Invariably my favourite episodes will not be included. Oh well, at least I am safe to buy the Original series...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, this morning DVDFile is saying that Outer Limits (both the Orig. Series box set & the two best-of discs for the New Series) is part of the 9/17 slate! I can't find confirmation of that date anywhere yet, though. But I don't doubt it, either.
outerlimits_s1.jpg
outerlimits_ns_timetravel.jpg

No art for the 3rd SKU. Read about it yourself here.

Ronald Gebhardt

Auditioning
Just a question from someone who hasn't seen any of the original episodes.

Is The Outler Limits on a par with the Original Twilight Zone. Occasionally in Europe I have seen an episode of the 'new' Outer Limits and frankly I don't think any of them are that good.

However I do have all of the original Twilight Zone DVD's, and love that series. Now I am wondering if I should buy the Outer Limits as well.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
What a quandry. I am definitely getting the first series. And I want the 2nd series. But, I don't want best of's. But, if I don't buy the 2nd series. They will think their is no demand for it and won't release more. :angry: :angry:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Very odd release plan - complete season for the original series, but "best-of"'s for the newer one. Wonder what the story is behind that?

At any rate, Season One of the classic "Outer Limits" will be in my collection come September. I'm taking a "Wait & See" attitude on the other.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Very odd release plan - complete season for the original series, but "best-of"'s for the newer one. Wonder what the story is behind that?
I'm sure the story is this:
* Original Series is shorter, with an established fanbase that will definately buy the entire run.
* New Series is longer, with more hit-or-miss episodes, and a much looser fan base overall.
From a production standpoint, I'm sure it just made sense to MGM to put out "best of" discs to test the waters on the new series.
I recommend that, for the eventual street price of $9.99 - $12.99, you go ahead and pick them up and show your support for the new series. Consider it an investment! And, later on, you can eBay them or else give them to someone who you want to inspire to enjoy more SciFi. Or, sell the "Sex" one to a hard-up nerdy teenage boy. :laugh:

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
The Season 1 set (classic) is only 4 discs! 32 episodes, 8 episodes per disc... are these DVD-18s, then? And that price! With a MSRP of only $79.95, this'll be an absolute steal (especially with those opening week sales). This was already a must-have for me, but now I'm even more excited!

Here's hoping season 2 isn't too far behind... like, say, TWIN PEAKS, which is taking forever!

Jodee

Screenwriter
I wish the new series would be getting better treatment.

However, I can think of one reason why they might be doing "themed" releases. The New Outer Limits had quite a few episodes that were "sequels" of previous episodes. It might make more sense to put those episodes on the same disc, if that's what they intend on doing.

I am so hoping "The Quality of Mercy" and "The Light Brigade" are released together.

I also really want "A Stitch in Time". These 3 episodes are some of the best hours of sci-fi ever.

I could do without the new Outer Limits clip shows though. Those suck! And in many cases, they almost ruin the episodes they are based on, since it puts the episodes plot in a different context.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ronald: Yes, the original series is on "a par" with the Rod Serling series. More than that, The Outer Limits was better. It was the real thing, honest-to-goodness science fiction. A marvelous series that won't disappoint. You should consider looking at it. JB

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
The perfect compliment to my Twilight Zone DVD collection. I'm in! Bring on the Outer Limits.:emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
One of the things people should be aware of with respect to the outer limits, should there be a season 2 boxset, is that season 2 saw a steep drop-off in production quality. People ask why only two seasons. Apparently Joseph Stefano who I believe was the show's producer along with writing a number of the episodes was facing severe funding cutback for the second season. Apparently, for its time, TOL was an expensive show to produce. He opted to leave along with a lot of the production staff.

Season two has different opening credits, the musical score is completely different and the overall production values take a major hit. There are still some good episodes, notably Demon With a Glass Hand, and the Inheritors, but the series just wasn't the same with the changes.

I thinks Season One, all 32 episodes, for $79.95 is the biggest bargain on dvd so far for this year. Nothing like vintage B&W with strong, intelligent writing and some truly dramatic moments. A superlative musical score and a-mind blowing opening credit sequence, well, at least to an impressionable 9 year old boy, which is how old I was when I first saw the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks