What's new

Original Opening Logo WB / United Artist etc. (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Powell&Pressburger said:
Matt who reviewed the Criterion Collection edition of Badlands has confirmed that the original Saul Bass WB logo is INTACT on the release! Which is really cool news. If others have any films they'd like me to update on the first post of the thread of replaced / original logos Let me know.
It's probably been stated somewhere in this thread or another similar one, but the absence of the Saul Bass logo from so many WB DVDs and Blu-rays is likely connected to the fact that Warner Music Group, which is no longer affiliated with Time Warner, still uses the "worm logo," as its primary corporate logo. Up until a few years ago, Warner Books (also no longer part of Time Warner) also used the Bass logo until they were purchased by Hachette and rebranded as Grand Central Books. Criterion likely requested / went out of their way to ensure that the Bass logo was retained due to their stated mission with regards to preserving film history and the fact that said logo was designed by Saul Bass, as important a figure as any in the field of logo and title design.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The Blu-Ray "Nightmare on Elm Street" collection has the New Line Cinema openings revised to the current one with "A TimeWarner Company" byline :( The first movie was left alone, but the rest are updated.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Professor Echo said:
The last time I watched SAM WHISKEY (1969) on the Encore Westerns Channel, it still had the original Transamerica UA opening logo. The music starts up on it before the credits begin.Does anyone have the DVD to confirm it is or isn't still on there?
I'm quoting my own post from three years ago because I could have sworn someone responded to this back then, but now I can't find that answer. The title is apparently OOP and I'm thinking of picking it up while it's still affordable, but I would really like confirmation that the original logo is intact. I can't find any reviews on the quality of the DVD, but it seems to be a flipper with full screen and widescreen on either side. I don't even know if it's anamorphic.

Any and all information would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dick said:
What I also find offensive is when studios alter their perfectly fine (even terrific) logos in order to modernize them, and in the process create a piece of utter crap. Cases in point: Universal's quite nice earlier turning globe with the graphics coming around from behind and going flat in front of the Earth. That part hasn't changed, but now it is all neon and diffused bright spots and looks cheap and tawdry. They continue to use it, though. Columbia for a couple of years in the 1970's did that horrible zoom-in on the statue's shining light, which then became an abstract pointy "crown" within a blue half-circle. What were they thinking? Then, of course, there's the latest Warner Bros. logo, which was not terrible at first but grew tiresome very quickly. I now really hate those dumb, poorly-painted clouds and boring sky behind the shield, which itself is lackluster, and long for the days when we got a velvet-black background and a powerful gold shield dead center

Ammendment: I LOVE Universal's new 100th Aniversary logo. It is everything the last two or three "globe" logos might have been but were not. This new one is literally awesome the first few times one views it, with its enormous 3-D graphic coming up from behind the Earth and practically filling the screen, giving it tremendous weight and import, while completely losing the cheezy neon effects from a year ago. Nice job, whoever designed this!

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I like the 1970's Warner Brothers logo the best by far! One of our colleagues on here Powell uses this on his postings! I don't care much for any other Warner Brothers logo's used today, or in the past ie the 1950's 1960's etc. The only one from Warners besides the 1970's I like is the Warner Brothers Seven Arts used in the late 1960's. Steve McQueen's Bullit uses this logo. I do like it also there may be some more from Warner's-Seven Arts, I would have to see them. Also would have to see the Warner a Kiney(?) Company ones from around 1970 to see if I like any of them. I really do like the 1970's Warner Communications logos!Take Care!Robert

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MCCLOUD said:
I like the 1970's Warner Brothers logo the best by far! One of our colleagues on here Powell uses this on his postings! I don't care much for any other Warner Brothers logo's used today, or in the past ie the 1950's 1960's etc. The only one from Warners besides the 1970's I like is the Warner Brothers Seven Arts used in the late 1960's. Steve McQueen's Bullit uses this logo. I do like it also there may be some more from Warner's-Seven Arts, I would have to see them. Also would have to see the Warner a Kiney(?) Company ones from around 1970 to see if I like any of them. I really do like the 1970's Warner Communications logos!Take Care!Robert

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 47

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Here as well.
ahollis said:
I like the 1970's Warner Brothers logo the best by far! One of our colleagues on here Powell uses this on his postings! I don't care much for any other Warner Brothers logo's used today, or in the past ie the 1950's 1960's etc. The only one from Warners besides the 1970's I like is the Warner Brothers Seven Arts used in the late 1960's. Steve McQueen's Bullit uses this logo. I do like it also there may be some more from Warner's-Seven Arts, I would have to see them. Also would have to see the Warner a Kiney(?) Company ones from around 1970 to see if I like any of them. I really do like the 1970's Warner Communications logos!
Take Care!
Robert

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
If anyone wants to list any original logos or removed / changed that they have noticed post themI will add them to the main original thread post. If anyone wants to note and Laserdisc / DVD titles also I will note those. Obviously if the logos have never been cut out or changed those don't need to be noted. (Universal in particular uses the most current logo but the film usually contains the original logo preceding it) I know I've missed some DVD submissions on past pages but I will go they those an update the post and try to clean it up a bit. Also if a film never contained a opening logo but now does that could be fun to note. An example would be Mean Streets - WB distributed it and it never opened with a logo originally from what others have noted.I've always been curious about several WB releases from LD / DVD such as KLUTEs original and remastered LDs and Freebie and The Bean which is out on WB mod DVD.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Powell&Pressburger, I am so happy you bumped this thread. If you haven't guessed, the Transamerica UA logos from 1967 to 1981 are my favorites by far. Mainly because they are all near extinction. Here is a collection of 21 videos featuring these logos that I was able to find of them on the Internet.

Fiddler on the Roof variant

The Killer Elite

The Black Stallion

The Adventures of Gerard

I Start Counting

West Side Story

Tom Jones

Sleeper variant

A Bridge Too Far variant

Stardust Memories variant

Raging Bull variant

Let it Be

Cruisin'

Being There

Message from Space

Cops and Robbers

Cotton Comes to Harlem

Sam Whiskey
http://viooz.co/movies/19352-sam-whiskey-1969.html

Opening to Rocky II, from a 1980 HBO airing

Opening to Hair, from a 1980 HBO airing

Jennifer on My Mind

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Powell&Pressburger said:
Nice post INTOLT :)those Magnetic Video Corp intros are retro! But how I miss the UA Transamerica logo
You're welcome.

I especially love the Fiddler on the Roof and A Bridge Too Far variants. For the former, you could tell the music was composed for that logo, because the final brass chord of that logo music is exactly the same as at the end of the ending credits. Not to mention, the music goes perfectly well with the logo's animation. Hats off to whoever at UA came up with that idea.

And the A Bridge Too Far variant perfectly sets the tone for the rest of the film, as the very first thing you see after the logo is World War II footage. Again, hats off to whoever at UA came up with that idea.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Professor Echo said:
I'm quoting my own post from three years ago because I could have sworn someone responded to this back then, but now I can't find that answer. The title is apparently OOP and I'm thinking of picking it up while it's still affordable, but I would really like confirmation that the original logo is intact. I can't find any reviews on the quality of the DVD, but it seems to be a flipper with full screen and widescreen on either side. I don't even know if it's anamorphic.

Any and all information would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Did you ever find your answer? I have Sam Whiskey somewhere in my storage unit & I will dig it out if you still haven't found out.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
INTOIT for Bridge Too Far - has the logo been left intact on any home Video releases? DVD or Laserdisc or I take it the BLU edition it is now gone? :-(

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Powell&Pressburger said:
INTOLT has the logo been left intact on any homeVideo releases? DVD or Laserdisc or I take it the BLU edition it is now gone? :-(
If you are talking about the Fiddler on the Roof and A Bridge Too Far variants, the YT links came from the 1981 RCA CED Videodisc and (I believe) the 2001 MGM DVD versions respectively.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
For anyone out there that still has Laserdiscs can anyone confirm for these titles if logos were replaced or intact? If so what catalog #. Mainly for WB catalog and U.A. films.

Freebie and the Bean LD or the WB Archive DVD?
In Laws, The (original) Can't recall if DVD was replaced same for LD
Klute (not sure what logo the DVD contains LD possibly retains original?)
Main Event, The
Night Moves (DVD has shield logo)
Prisoner of Second Avenue, The (DVD Contains Shield logo)
Yakuza, The (DVD contains updated WB logo)

or if you have any in your collection you'd like to mention :D

The DVD for Reflections in a Golden Eye contain the updated WB logo with You Must Remember this Music then films begins listing WB - Seven Arts .. not sure if this ever contained a studio logo preceding the film credits. There was a UK and Japan LD release for the film but not a U.S. release.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Powell&Pressburger said:
The DVD for Reflections in a Golden Eye contain the updated WB logo with You Must Remember this Music then films begins listing WB - Seven Arts .. not sure if this ever contained a studio logo preceding the film credits. There was a UK and Japan LD release for the film but not a U.S. release.
I recently projected what looked like an original 35mm print of REFLECTIONS, and it did not have any logo on it; it went right into a credits sequence with "Warner Bros. - Seven Arts Presents" in the same font as the rest of the names and titles.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I was almost thinking Reflections in a Golden Eye didn't ever contain a studio logo, that seems like the best confirmation. Mark, was the film print the "golden" toned one like the DVD release received? Very nice news :)

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I have Freebie & the Bean and The Main Event on laserdisc, I'll try to pull them out of storage on Monday & let you know. I know Dog Day Afternoon, the full frame laserdisc has the Bass logo, did the first snapper dvd release have it as well? I only have the 2 disc SE & the BD when it was replaced

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
The dvds of "Roots" and "Roots: The Next Generations" have updated logos on dvd. The former has the current WB logo. The latter has one from the late-1980s-early 1990s. They originally carried the Saul Bass logo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks