What's new

Original Opening Logo WB / United Artist etc. (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Powell&Pressburger said:
Just a few titles that are out on BLU and have retained their original Opening Logos! A Star is Born (1976) was released just today on BLU and contains the original Saul Bass designed logo / First Artists Intro! YAY WB's!  Sleeper released in January on BLU contains the original United Artists Logo preceding the film. Also Not sure if they released the film originally but Shout Factory's release of Deadly Blessing contains the United Artists Transamerica Company Logo. 
I could be overstating things...but, possibly, the studios--WB and MGM/Fox--have read and listened to the sentiments expressed here and on other forums?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I think maybe they do listen to the fans sometimes. I think these companies should celebrate their history.
Also Deadly Blessing also features the Polygram Films logo after the United Artists Transamerica logo.
I'm still thrilled with the blu release for A Star is Born (1976) featuring the Saul Bass WB logo and the First Artists logo.
Also Disney used the RKO Pictures logo on Peter Pan (1953) and the Buena Vista Pictures logo on Pete's Dragon

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by eric scott richard The only Disney classic not to retain its original RKO logo on blu-ray is "Bambi."
Thanks for the Info Richard I knew one blu release omitted it but I couldn't recall which title. :)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Powell&Pressburger said:
Also Deadly Blessing also features the Polygram Films logo after the United Artists Transamerica logo.
That would be par for the course with those Polygram titles. Distributing studio logo followed by the Polygram logo, at least that's been the case on other PF titles I've seen from that era.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Powell&Pressburger said:
Sleeper released in January on BLU contains the original United Artists Logo preceding the film.
Just picked up SLEEPER at Costco for $8.99. I suspect the Transamerica UA logo was retained because it's in B & W and in keeping with the white on black opening titles. I believe this B & W version of the studio logo was only used on reissues of classic B & W titles and SLEEPER, which is indicated here. I hope I'm wrong and UA keeps this up with films from the era, which utilized the traditional color Transamerica logo.

"Driving Miss Daisy" on blu-ray contains an updated WB logo. I was hoping since this was their anniversary year that they would celebrate by presenting their own films with their original logos. Hopefully, "The Exorcist" will have the original logo this fall.

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
eric scott richard said:
"Driving Miss Daisy" on blu-ray contains an updated WB logo. I was hoping since this was their anniversary year that they would celebrate by presenting their own films with their original logos. Hopefully, "The Exorcist" will have the original logo this fall.
And the mono track too! Warners often neglects the original audio.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by eric scott richard
Hopefully, "The Exorcist" will have the original logo this fall.
I actually have tweeted William Freidkin who has meesaged some about the new BLU of The Exorcist and asked if they would be using the original Saul Bass WB logo for the release. He didn't respond but I am sure he read the tweet. He is must gracious on Twitter. I suppose only time will tell. Fingers crossed.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Powell&Pressburger said:
I actually have tweeted William Freidkin who has meesaged some about the new BLU of The Exorcist and asked if they would be using the original Saul Bass WB logo for the release. He didn't respond but I am sure he read the tweet. He is must gracious on Twitter. I suppose only time will tell. Fingers crossed.
Geez, the current EXORCIST release already looks fantastic...however, since they have actually done a new scan for EXORCIST and it won't simply be a repackaging of an existing transfer, as WB is wont to do, then I suppose there is a chance for a redo of the opening logo. Friedkin's never answered any of my Twitter queries directed to him, but, yes, his is a pretty active account.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by John Weller
And the mono track too! Warners often neglects the original audio.
Is it really necessary in this case? The '79 reissue track (which has been the source of all video releases of the original cut) isn't exactly what I'd call a remix.

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Lord Dalek said:
Is it really necessary in this case? The '79 reissue track (which has been the source of all video releases of the original cut) isn't exactly what I'd call a remix.
True, but I do have a stubborn rule of refusing to have 5.1 only when the film was mono. Weird I know. Warners REALLY needs to get the theatrical version of Enter The Dragon out there. The added scene for the special edition is a terrible re-dub and some of the music cues are missing. It DOES, however, have the original Warner logo!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Good to hear about the Star Is Born BD and the old logo. I really hope that this means they'll start including it on the appropriate titles going forward. Ditto the original soundtracks; that's whole other thread, though! And on The Exorcist, since they're doing a new scan, maybe they'll finally get rid of that morphing effect on Damien that was added for the 25th Anniversary Edition. That's more distracting to me than the jump cut ever was.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Good to hear about the Star Is Born BD and the old logo. I really hope that this means they'll start including it on the appropriate titles going forward.
One consideration, could the original logo be in place because there is some piece of music or other audio that is "burned in" to the original logo? One thing I noticed recently is in the BD of "European Vacation" the original WB logo is intact. But, that is because "Holiday Road" is being played over the logo.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
WillG said:
One consideration, could the original logo be in place because there is some piece of music or other audio that is "burned in" to the original logo? One thing I noticed recently is in the BD of "European Vacation" the original WB logo is intact. But, that is because "Holiday Road" is being played over the logo.
Not sure; that hasn't stopped them before. There are several releases where the music or other sounds simply play over the replacement logo (The Exorcist, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Mean Streets, for example).

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Bryan Tuck said:
Not sure; that hasn't stopped them before. There are several releases where the music or other sounds simply play over the replacement logo (The Exorcist, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Mean Streets, for example).
Agreed, the audio shouldn't stop them from replacing it. If the logo is burned onto the film itself, as it here in THE OMEGA MAN, then it stays. Or, if the logo has been specially altered or an alternative logo is used for a particular film, as appears to be the case with SLEEPER, then it stays.
998f176a_omegaphoto.jpeg

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Matt who reviewed the Criterion Collection edition of Badlands has confirmed that the original Saul Bass WB logo is INTACT on the release! Which is really cool news. If others have any films they'd like me to update on the first post of the thread of replaced / original logos Let me know.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
First post doesn't include The Omega Man, mentioned above.
Do you want DVD, too, or just Blu-ray? Warner Archive titles American Dream and Lisztomania have original WB logos, and the latter is the Saul Bass.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Just trying to keep the list on BLU titles only, and while Omega Man it is burned into the film so to speak, I will add it :). Makes me appreciate Who's That Girl (1987) even more!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Powell&Pressburger said:
Matt who reviewed the Criterion Collection edition of Badlands has confirmed that the original Saul Bass WB logo is INTACT on the release! Which is really cool news. If others have any films they'd like me to update on the first post of the thread of replaced / original logos Let me know.
Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks