What's new

Original Opening Logo WB / United Artist etc. (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Powell&Pressburger said:
I just love the logo... and this seems that this logo is the only one from WB's that gets nixed on releases..............Sometimes I honestly don't watch DVD releases that don't feature it when they should.......I am always cautious over which WB titles i buy just because of the disregard WB has for that logo on the releases that should contain it.
You don't watch a film because it doesn't have the original logo? To each his own but that does sound a bit extreme. Actually I always intensely disliked that '70s logo - it had none of the style of the original WB shield.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I didn't intensely dislike it, but I found it a bit of a letdown, especially after most of WB's divisions went back to using the shield, but (in the case of WB records for example), the \' would still be used to signify Warner Communications. It seemed incongruous.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
Enter The Dragon was one of those WB movies that had the Saul Bass logo replaced but then they put it back on the last SE.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I really miss the old UA logos on the James Bond films. I would love to have them back at the beginning of each of the films.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I miss the logo at the begining of Exorcist.. seems like as the music kicked in it worked a lot better... but I doubt we will ever see the original logo linked to it again since they've been using the new one since the version you've seen a few times, and the theatrical works better was released.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I don't knowingly buy any titles where this has been done- I don't tolerate any alteration of the original movie. I don't even like how most video releases cut the blue rating band at the very end, but my collection would be very small if I avoided every title that did that.
Paramount seems to be one of the best studios at not changing these- I know they're no longer "A Gulf+Western Company" but I like to see that on the movies put out when they were. I know they've gotten some flack around here for changing it on "Grease", but they also did that on the 20th anniversary theatrical release, so that goes along with it along with the remixed soundtrack.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
A few more:

Finian's Rainbow has the original Saul Bass logo. I think WB may have been forced to keep it as the logo fades out as the movie is fading in. They would have had to cut the first few seconds of the movie in order to get rid of it.

The Blu-Ray of Carrie has the original UA logo (first left side of logo appears, then right, then center). Not sure about the DVD as I don't have it.

Amityville Horror (1979) has the AIP logo intact but then I've never seen it replaced and I've owned 5 copies of this movie!

walter o

Supporting Actor
I hate it when they replace the old logo when a music (or dialogue) from the actual film was played over the old logo (like in some Transamerica logo) and with the inclusion of the new logo and the new logo's music, we lose that original music from the film (like DOGS OF WAR).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I understand that this may the wrong forum, but the correct thread. I recently received and watched the SD double feature The Bank Robbery Collection which included both The Great Bank Robbery and The Great Bank Hoax. Both films had their original WB logo attached and certainly put the films in their proper time release. Thank you this time WB.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
ahollis said:
I understand that this may the wrong forum, but the correct thread. I recently received and watched the SD double feature The Bank Robbery Collection which included both The Great Bank Robbery and The Great Bank Hoax. Both films had their original WB logo attached and certainly put the films in their proper time release. Thank you this time WB.
Usually the films released before the 70's and 60's had the original logos intact with WB... seems to be they hate the Saul Bass Warner Communications Logo to the left on my avatar for example.
But they are very good about the early films through the 50's from what I have seen. :)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Jesse Skeen said:
I don't knowingly buy any titles where this has been done- I don't tolerate any alteration of the original movie. I don't even like how most video releases cut the blue rating band at the very end, but my collection would be very small if I avoided every title that did that.
That reminds me...for some reason I used to enjoy seeing the "when in Hollywood visit Universal Studios" card at the end of Universal films, blatant advertising though it may be (and a pretty crappy painting to boot). I recall rarely seeing it included in VHS releases...has it ever made it to DVD/Blu?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
That reminds me...for some reason I used to enjoy seeing the "when in Hollywood visit Universal Studios" card at the end of Universal films, blatant advertising though it may be (and a pretty crappy painting to boot). I recall rarely seeing it included in VHS releases...has it ever made it to DVD/Blu?
I believe it still may be on "Animal House" because in that movie that card had a joke about the movie. It the regular card, but it also said "Ask for Babs" because at the end of the film where it was showing what became of all the characters, the Babs character was shown as now being a tour guide at Universal Studios

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Powell&Pressburger said:
Usually the films released before the 70's and 60's had the original logos intact with WB... seems to be they hate the Saul Bass Warner Communications Logo to the left on my avatar for example.
But they are very good about the early films through the 50's from what I have seen. :)
The Great Bank Hoax (1978) starts with the Saul Bass logo. The Great Bank Robbery (1969) has the WB-Seven Arts logo with the seven part of the W in the shield. This logo is shown in part of the beginning of the film and more or less could not be cut out. The Saul Bass logo could have easily been cut off and replaced, but thank goodness is was not.
It was the Saul Bass logo that stuck out since it is so rarely seen now days.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Powell&Pressburger said:
For those of you who caught the chat last nite or are able to read the transcript I did as them about the classic 70's/ Early 80's Saul Bass Warner Communications logo usage and about preserving it on future releases etc... they replied and I am paraphrasing that is issue has been brought to their attention and that they have notified corporate on the issue, they also said it may be a legal type issue with the company on its usage.
I guess the good thing is they are aware only time will tell.
My impression was that this is a branding issue, and as such part of a conscious marketing strategy. All companies update their logos and letterheads occasionally. It's a universally accepted marketing fact, keep your product fresh and up-to date. Only thing different about the home video industry is that they are implementing it retroactively as well.
For the record, I don't like it, but it isn't a deal-breaker for me. Keep fighting the good fight.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Tom M said:
The Blu-Ray of Carrie has the original UA logo (first left side of logo appears, then right, then center). Not sure about the DVD as I don't have it.
So then it has this logo?
htf_imgcache_42110.jpeg

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen_J_H said:
So then it has this logo?
htf_imgcache_42110.jpeg
Correct! It kinda threw me as I had never seen that logo before. I've seen Carrie several times but usually with the "spinning" UA logo or no logo at all.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Douglas R said:
You don't watch a film because it doesn't have the original logo? To each his own but that does sound a bit extreme. Actually I always intensely disliked that '70s logo - it had none of the style of the original WB shield.
I always remember that Blazing Saddles (1973) was the first Warner Bros. film to use the WB shield after several years of the W. I was happy to see it. It was still several years before other pictures went back to the shield.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Powell&Pressburger said:
Re-watching it recently, I see that the DVD of MAD MAX 2 (THE ROAD WARRIER) has the Warner Communications logo. However, it's not on the Blu-ray edition.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Garysb said:
I always remember that Blazing Saddles (1973) was the first Warner Bros. film to use the WB shield after several years of the W. I was happy to see it. It was still several years before other pictures went back to the shield.
The use of the shield in Blazing Saddles was a stylistic choice, and not reflective of any WB policy @ the time. That being said, I remember Deliverance having the shield.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks