What's new

Ordering a reciever from Crutchfield (1 Viewer)

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone ordered a reciever (or anything) from Crutchfield using their scratch and dent store? They say the original manufactures warranty wont be valid but they have their own warranty. So does this mean if the reciever has a 2 year parts and labor warranty they will honor that?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've been to the scratch'n'dent store in person. Like most such sales, some of the stuff is in really sad shape, while some is like new. Generally I find the prices to be rather poor, much like their main store. However, their service is absolutely first rate. The last time I was there I found nothing even remotely interesting or very good priced at their clearance center.

James Pfann

Stunt Coordinator
I bought both my DVD player and S-vhs vcr online from the 'bang & dent store' at Crutchfield. Looking at either unit, you'll be hard pressed to find anything wrong with them, a very slight scuff on the drawer of the dvd player and I can't even find the problem with the vcr. Both came in the original box with manuals, remotes and accessories.

Like Phil says, they tend to be more expensive at Crutchfield, but the service is first rate. I'm happy with my purchases from them. I hope this helps.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I inquired about a scratch and dent receiver one time. If you have to use the warranty you have to ship it back to them and they fix it.:thumbsdown: I didn't like that.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I have no experience with Crutchfield's 'scratch & dent' store but knowing Crutchfield you could probably find a brand new version of the item elsewhere for less $$ than the damaged one @ Crutchfield.

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I know you could find items cheaper then crutchfield but a lot of those places are not authorized dealers and if you need it serviced your out of luck.

Vincent, do you know if you have to pay for the shipping charges if you use the warranty?

thanks

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Yes I know you could find items cheaper then crutchfield but a lot of those places are not authorized dealers and if you need it serviced your out of luck.
I've found that to be a bit of a myth. However, it's a hotly debated issue and I respect your desire to be sure.
Shop around though, Crutchfield is considered high even among authorized dealers.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Though occasionally they have specials, like a couple months ago my brother was looking for a HTIB system and he found a better price at Crutchfield on a feature-rich Kenwood system than anywhere else. Then, it turned out that the unit was badly flawed, he had to get two replacements and they were both broken! Eventually he ended up ditching it and getting a Sony unit from J&R (his local NYC dealer), but Crutchfield's customer service was 100% first rate all the way through his ordeal. I'm not sure the service would have been as good from other online authorized dealers.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I haven't bought any scratch & dent items from Crutchfield, but have bought many new car audio items through them throughout the years.

In one case, I ordered the wrong wiring harness and Crutchfield overnighted the correct one to me at no charge, and I didn't even have to return the one I ordered!

In another case, my car CD player kept skipping, and they quickly replaced it without question.

Like others have said here, they may not have the cheapest prices, but their customer service is excellent!

Did you ask them about what their own warranty covers and for how long? If their service on scratch & dent items is like their service on new items, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

JimmyK

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I buy from J&R and have found their prices to be among the best from authorized dealers and have had no problem with their service. 2 years ago I bought an Olympus 3 meg camera from them that had a bad pixel. It was within 30 days and they paid shipping for me to return for a replacement. I received the replacement within a week and was vey happy overall with the support I got. Now, if I needed technical support, how good would that be, I don't know. Crutchfield charges what they do, because of the technical service they offer. I save a lot of money from J&R and I'm not willing to pay for technical hand holding from Crutchfield. Yes their are unauthorized dealers out there and I'm not interested in buying from them but it would be misleading to suggest that there are not a number of good authorized web dealers that you can choose from. Most manufacturers web sites list the authorized B&M as well as web dealers.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
***Vincent, do you know if you have to pay for the shipping charges if you use the warranty?***

I didn't bother to ask. I asked if I could take it to an authorized repair center in my town and them reimburse me. They said no, you have to ship it back to us. I said"OK thanks"

Douglas S.L

Auditioning
Iv'e bought many things from Crutchfield's and as it's been said: they have top notch service and you would be hard pressed to find better.:emoji_thumbsup:
:emoji_thumbsup: As far as the scratch and dent thing, i have no experiece in that dept. Just giving my 2 cents worth on the service. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks