What's new

Orb as surround speakers? (1 Viewer)

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
hi guys--

So, although I was able to wire my system under the house just fine, it turns out that my plan to use Axiom's custom stands with my Axiom M2s just won't work--the stands are too bulky to fit nicely behind the sofa (a losing proposition to being with, I know--the rest of the house is great, of course, it's just my HT that is completely getting ruined) and now I am basically realizing that I need to figure out a new surround speaker solution. I can't go in-wall (renting) and I can't go high up (curved ceilings, wife). I was looking at those Polk OWM speakers which seem okay as surrounds but I was curious if any of you all had used Orb satellite speakers as surrounds. I would be supporting them with an SVS sub and my Axiom M60+VT100's.

If any of you have suggestions of fairly low profile surrounds that can be mounted nearby (sofa is stuck in a corner--wall on left side, back wall about 4-6" behind sofa, unusable fireplace to the right side of the sofa but I can actually stick a speaker about 12' away on the righthand side beyond the fireplace, too--it's the darn left hand corner that I gotta contend with)...I would be very, very, very grateful. I am super bummed that I am in this terrible position (my old setup had my surrounds on my left and right about 11' and 9' away. it was great.)

thanks,

mike

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Have you looked at the QS4's or QS8's? They can be mounted directly on the wall and can be somewhat forgiving when you can't locate them properly.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
hi Dave--

I would love to get these but I am worried about the size and the possible low WAF of them. I am going to take another look at them and see if they may work but I have feeling they are too bulky for my room.

thanks!

mike

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I'm currently using Mod2s as my surrounds due to space constraints (in lieu if of Klipsch RS3s) with RF3s/RC3 for the front stage + an SVS 2030PC+, they work well enough though the difference is drastic compared to using the RS3.

I'm actually going to move to full orbs, sell off the Klipschs and start over ;)

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
hey guys!

After much consulting with the Finance Committee, I figured it out. We have a bookshelf way on the right hand side of the living room--I am going to put one speaker there. The left hand speaker is going to go on a shorter stand behind the left hand corner of the sofa. It's not perfect, but it looks better and, after some tweaks with the Audyssey tuning on Denon 2808, it actually sounds just fine. Yes, the Surround Left is more localized than I would have liked, but it's not terrible and this way I get to stick with my Axiom M2's to use as my surrounds.

So far, so good!

thanks for the suggestions, all. Eventually, one day, I will get the QS 4's...probably gonna have to move again before I can do that...ah well.

thanks again!

mike

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
Thanks, Rokzi! I was actually thinking of using these but couldn't remember the name. Seems like a really good idea for a surround--I may end up trying them out if the current solution doesn't pan out...

thanks again,

mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks