What's new

Optimal size screen for my projector? (1 Viewer)

natalia86

Auditioning
Real Name
Natalia
Hi guys
smile.gif

Total newbie here new to the world of home cinema.
I recently purchased the Epson EH-TW8100 (or Epson 5020UB I believe?)

My approximate projection distance from seating area to where I'd position the screen is 391cm (12ft 9" approx)

I know the projector at that sort of distance can go to 130", and not knowing much about this I imagine it's not really advisable to zoom to max? So I thought perhaps bring it down to 120". But then I'm reading articles on google and apparently people make the common mistake of going too big with projector screens.

Is 120" screen advisable for this size room? Or should I perhaps bring it down to 110" / 100"

I'd like as big a screen as possible really while still ensuring optimal quality and comfort.

Thanks so much!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Anywhere from 1.1 to 1.5 times the screen width.

That works out to...160(at the 1.1) to 120(at the 1.5)

Both are "rounded to the closest size you can buy".

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
For that seating distance i'd go 120 inches, i sit around 8.5 feet from a 104 inch screen.

Sabby

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
Since you already have the projector one solution is to use a large sheet or go to a fabric store and buy some inexpensive blackout white cloth in your largest potential screen size and pin it in place on the wall. Watch for a week or so at various screen sizes noting the changes in size, perceived contrast and brightness. See what combo you like and then purchase the screen size that best meets your needs.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

just remember that the larger you go in size, the more often the bulb will need to be changed ...

The image will become noticably dimmer at a faster rate on a 130" screen than a 106" screen. I have some clients that go the extreme end with a 2.35 perforated screen. On those set ups, a 2000 hour rated bulb needs to be swapped out at 800-1000 hours of use. The combination just bleeds too much light ...

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks