What's new

Oppo or PS3 just as good? (1 Viewer)

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 42" 1080P Westinghouse moniter...

right now i am using a Samsung player which does mediocre! looking at getting a PS3 with blu-ray so most new additions would be in blu-ray but while looking at old dvd's does the PS3 in most opinions do an adequete job or is something like an Oppo digital upscaling to 1080p do so much better that it's worth having both???

I haven't personally seen the 1080p upscale version of the Oppo or the PS3 upscale either...I did used to have a 970 Oppo and loved it!

a lil help here!

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

An oppo may be worth getting as a supplement. I'm assuming that you intend to play PS3 games? Otherwise, a bluray player incorporating the Reon chipset may be a better bet.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
care to point me in the right direction as to what that Reon chipset's benefits are?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The faroudja chipset is known for macroblocking, as well as creating banding effects-- gradients aren't rendered as smoothly as they could be. Both can be suppressed through careful calibration, but it's still an annoyance. The Reon is supposedly as good as the Faroudja, but without these annoying bugs.

Essentially, that's it...

I'm not here to bash the XBox360, but some time ago ExtremeTech reviewed the (unusually poor) dvd performance of that particular game machine. As you can see, jaggies everywhere.

A good DVD player won't let errors in DVD rendering distract you from the movie. How good it needs to be is up to you.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Oppo 970 and 980 use Mediatek though not Faroudja, so macroblocking is not an issue with them.

I owned the 970, currently have the 980 and a PS3. For SD DVDs they are about the same, with slightly better color on the PS3 to be honest. Between upscaling and Blu-ray though, there is a very noticeable difference that is worth it in my book.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
That review of the PS3's DVD performance is old. Since the new firmware that added upscaling, the PS3 is an excellent DVD player.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
OK...i checked it out on the PS3 and it didn't seem too bad at all, maybe that's bc of the update? still wasn't as good as my oppo but i looked @ it back to back with a Denon unit that does well and me personally am considering going with just the PS3...

I'll have to see if i actually even look much at DVD's when i have blu-ray...

So what's up with the whole battle of Blu-Ray and HD DVD...who's winning? which one will last, any direction on where i can find out?

I guess b/c of PS3 I don't really have any info on the HD DVD stuff...

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
among other things...

I'm sure that somewhere, someone has managed to release a upscaling dvd player that nevertheless fails to interlace properly, fails to pass blacker than black, or suffers from the chroma bug. Upscaling isn't everything.

Nevertheless, Secrets should probably retest.

Real Name
Brad
i own the oppo 981 and love it on the 72" big screen. I don't own the ps3 so unfortunately I can't give you my opinion on that, but for $200, it's nice to have a separate dvd only player.

Fred333

Agent
Real Name
Fred
I have a PS3 and I really like it. Have not dealt with 981, but have heard good things though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks