What's new

Oppo BDP-93 & BDP-95 3D Blu-Ray Players (First Look) (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
there is a new firmware update for the oppo 93. www.oppodigital.com

Jacob

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
The new firmware update fixed some of the major compatibility problems that some people were having in their setups related to HDMI handshaking and lipsync. It also seemed to improve the remote response and the SD upscaling quality. My network streaming also seems improved.

Watched "Days of Heaven" last night on BD at the 12-foot screen width (and that's 12-feet wide, not 12-feet diagonal. A big picture.) Looked beautiful. Surprisingly, this was the first time I had seen this film and in this presentation I felt I could fully appreciate the visual genius of DPs Nestor Almendos and Haskell Wexler.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I moved all the info about the OPPO-95 to the opening post. It makes more sense to keep both models together.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

I just received notification that dealers are now able to order.
Id be able to assist anybody that wants the BD 93.

Gregg

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I may just get one of these although I was a little disapointed in the 83. In January I should be redoing my entire theater and plan on going 3D. I just wished I had waited on my reciever, howeverI like the split HDMI aspects of this player.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 93 is available for purchase on the Oppo site now, BTW.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, one of my dreams finally came true today.

I became the owner of an Oppo Blu-ray player BDP-93.

I refused to buy the original Oppo BD years ago because

I could not justify spending $500 on a Blu-ray player.

So, I sat on the sidelines watching my fellow enthusiasts

snatching up players of their own and raving about the
load times and playback quality.

I would have never considered looking at the BDP-93,

but I found myself in a position where I had several
players on my rack for different uses.

* Oppo DVD player modified to play all region DVDs

and PAL content.

* LG 3D Blu-ray player.

Another problem I had was loading times. The one

thing I can't stand about this Blu-ray format is the

load times. It can take up to 3-4 minutes for a Blu-ray

to start once inserted in the player. Most of the initial

3-4 minutes is spent watching the loading icon.

So, not only did I desire a player that would load BD

content faster, but with the modification that is now

available, I can make this Oppo totally region free for

DVD playback.

Since the Oppo does 3D, I can get rid of my LG player.

Now....

I spent my morning setting up the player.

Put in my first BD title and was THRILLED to see

that I went from insert to main menu in less than
1 minute. In fact, that stupid loading icon was only

on screen for under 10 seconds. This player is about

3 minutes faster (which may still be exaggerated) than

my Panasonic BD55 player.

Haven't really played with it enough to notice the

picture quality being any better than any other BD

player I have owned to date. Nothing drastically
noticeable -- but I have only sampled one disc thus far.

3D content looks superb. No better or worse than
the LG.

It looks to be a very solid built machine. I am just

thankful for the loading speed increase. When I get

the MOD kit I will report back on how well that works.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Good to hear Ron. Load times really can be annoying, but what annoys me the most about BR is not being able to stop most discs then go back to the stopping point just by hitting play again. What a huge step back.

FWIW, I got a Panasonic BD85 a few weeks ago, and the load times are very good.

I think I have pretty much decided to take the dive on an Oppo BDP-95 when it comes out. It'll be a chunk of change, but I want a better player for analog audio with CD, SACD and BR Audio.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Originally Posted by JohnRice
what annoys me the most about BR is not being able to stop most discs then go back to the stopping point just by hitting play again. What a huge step back.

Woe, hold the phone, how do you play the movie back where you left off then? I assume you have to do it through the scene selections? Has this been corrected yet on any of these new models?

And, I had no idea load time for one of these kind of players was so long.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Shawn, I don't think it is something that will be "corrected". It is a limitation inherent to (as I'm told) Java based discs, but not all BRs are Java based. Most do seem to be, especially new releases. You just have to hit "Pause" and live with a still image, or switch the TV to a different input. If you hit Stop, the disc just goes back to the beginning and you have to find your stopping point. I think you can create a bookmark, but I haven't messed with that.

As far as load times, some discs have a lot of "reading" to do and some players can take a long time with that. My piece-of-junk Insignia player sometimes seemed like it would never actually play anything.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Well, at any rate, good to know . . . have to keep that in mind when I go blu next Christmas.

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
You gonna Love your Oppo player more and more - I have only good things to say - a SOLID product trough out in all aspects

Real Name
Dennis
I just spoke with OPPO, and none of their BD Players support Napster yet. That excludes an OPPO from my list of purchases. At least their W/L players come with a Dongle to increase W/L sensitivity, unlike the LG players.

Real Name
Dennis
Michael, no Napster on the OPPO players. I love Napster, but it sucks with my LG BD-590 player, and was thinking going with the OPPO BDP-93, but not yet Oppo states, and they would not tell me when they will have it available.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I read that some receiver have napster on it. you can go that route. there is so much good with the oppo brand.. that just not having napster should be a factor in getting one.

Jacob

Real Name
Dennis
I called OPPO on the BDP-93, and they DO NOT have NAPSTER on it yet. The person from OPPO, stated they are a small company in Mountain View, California and can only do so much do to other priorities the Company has.

I will wait until NAPSTER is released for it.

Real Name
Dennis
I called OPPO on the BDP-93, and they DO NOT have NAPSTER on it yet. The person from OPPO, stated they are a small company in Mountain View, California and can only do so much do to other priorities the Company has.

I will wait until NAPSTER is released for it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the brief review, Ron. Long load times are my biggest frustration with my current, 2 year old, Sony BDP-S350. However, I'm not sure I will take advantage of all the features of the Oppo to get my money's worth. I already have DVD-Audio and SACD playback covered, as well as region-free DVD playback (which I've never actually used). Maybe the Panny BD85 would be a better option for me, based on John's comments regarding its loading speeds.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Scott, the Panasonic BD85 is very nice. I'm still getting an Oppo 95, but for things the 85 definitely does not have. Unlike the Insignia I have, I've never sat there with the feeling it's stuck and will never play the disc. I don't think it's ever sat on a loading screen for more than about 15 seconds, if that. Of course, some discs have 3 or 4 of those. Best Buy had some great deals on them last month, going as low as $150. I think those are long gone. Just a note about the 85, you have to install an SD card for full features. Stuff like that should be on P.1 of the manual, but it's buried in the middle somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks