What's new

Oppo BDP-83 is on it's way! (1 Viewer)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
My tv tells me. Just as the movie is about to start, a box comes up in the upper left corner of the screen. It tells me that it 1280x1080p@24Hz. Maybe there's a setting in your tv's setup menus?

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
There is a new beta firmware on Oppo's website. One of the new features is moveable player generated subtitles.

Britton

Screenwriter
I just updated my player to the latest official release and it makes a noise (almost like the drive revving up) when I turn the player on. Has anyone noticed this?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Now that you have lived with the oppo for a short time now, how has it worked out for you. Have you had any problems or issues? I have honestly thought about picking up an oppo instead of a Pioneer Elite, Denon or Sony player to upgrade the DBP-S300 I currently own. One of my main concerns is that it doesn't have any issues bitstreaming lossless especially DTS-HD MA.

Happy to hear you are enjoying your new oppo! I to am using a Denon DVD-2200 for multichannel SACD and DVD-A and that is my high resolution work horse. I also own a Sony DVP-S9000 ES that serves as my audiophile cd and two channel sacd player.

Oh allmost forgot, how is the upconverting on the oppo?

Occasionally, a jazz or classical SACD still comes out. Not heard of any new DVD-Audio discs coming out in a long time though. It's a real shame too. I can't believe that people rather lister to mp3 tracks, than the hi res tracks.

I to find this sad that there are to many people out there that only care about convinence and not quality. They only care that they can load music on there phone, play it in there car, home pc or on an Ipod. Its all about having a ton of music at there finger tip even if the quality is poor or just ok. And with the convergence of cheap pc's into the home audio/video market its no wonder that good companies are loosing money. As more and more people want something that does a ton of things that cost very little to buy.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Now that you have lived with the oppo for a short time now, how has it worked out for you. Have you had any problems or issues?

I have had one for several months as well. The only problem I had was one disc that wouldn't play (500 Days of Summer). A beta FW update was available that fixed that issue. Its a fast player, has all discrete IR codes, has 1Gb internal memory for BD Live, and if you twist my arm the only thing I can think of that it doesn't have is Netflix streaming and wireless Ethernet, neither of which is important to me. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The analog section of the 83 is also very good. I'm using the 6 channel analog outs to an H/K 520 and even the basic DD and DTS sound great, which isn't always the case when the player is decoding those formats (usually the receiver is better at those).

I think the cross-over is set at 80, which is good for movies but I prefer 60 for music. An update is supposed to be available some day to make it adjustable.

Other than that I haven't had any problems with mine either. Plays everything I throw at it.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am saving up to get the oppo. hopefully order it soon in the next few days or so.
look forwarding to having the new player.

Jacob

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have read alot about it.. I went through a bunch of low priced blu ray players and was not happy with them.. I figure I would try this one.

Jacob

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
that is not a problem. I had some problems with netflix stuff on the insignia and sony bluray player.. enough to know that I dont care anymore. besides I have it for the ps3, roku, and the wii. its not going to be a problem.
thanks for the response.
Jacob

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I thought I read somewhere that the PS3 is the only current player available that can be upgraded to 3D compatible (via firmware). Is this true? I know Oppo is diligent about releasing regular firmware updates that sometimes enable new features. Has Oppo stated if the BDP-83 can be upgraded to 3D via firmware? Thanks!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got my player and I am very impressed. its truly the best player out there and better then the ps3. fast and quiet.

thank you everyone.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks