What's new

Oppo BDP-83...I'm not getting subtitles on DVD (1 Viewer)

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to watch the Grand Illusion last night on DVD on my Oppo BDP-83, but the subtitles would not come on. I press the subtitle button on the remote, it shows English subtitles are selected but they do not appear on the screen. I go back to the main menu on the DVD and select subtitles that way, and they still do not appear. I only recently bought this player, and did the firmware update just last week. Anyone else have this issue and can share a fix?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think it has to do with how the sound is transfered from the player. I remenber reading something about this issue quite a while ago and I don't think subtitles are available thru Bitstream on BR discs since the player isn't doing the decoding. Try changing from Bitstream to LPCM in the OPPO's main setup menu and see if it works. But your receiver must be capable of accepting LPCM which I think most 1.3 receivers are.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
that shouldn't effect the subtitle display.

What mode is the player in, and what mode is the display in? If someone is zooming things, then they might be 'off sceen' -- particularly if the display is in some sort of expansion mode.

The closest I had was the Oppo not showing the "display" stuff, but it was when I had a non-anamorphic content being blown-up by the projector.

Leo

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Just to let you all know that I finally figured this out. Seems by default the Oppo comes out of the box with the subtitles a bit low on the screen. There was a firmware upgrade to allow you to hold down the subtitle button and then adjust how they are displayed by pressing the direction controls to move them up higher on the screen.

Gary Padgett

Auditioning
I discovered the same thing by accident. It seems on the OPPO they are about five remote clicks too low. Now they look fine on my 55" display.

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator
The above posters are correct. You can also access the Oppo menu's to adjust the display height of subtitles. It's set at -5 by default (not sure why). Set it to zero and you should be fine.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you have the latest firmware? If you install that (1224 official release) when you reset to factory defaults, it will set them to zero. I noticed that with some of the other versions, setting it to zero without setting to defaults would NOT adjust the level of the subtitles correctly. I found this out with the District 9 BD.

AdamG2

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I had on odd subtitle issue with 2012 BD the other day. The first issue I have ever had with the player. They were too low on the screen, and trying to raise them through the menu had no impact. Power cycling the Oppo fixed it. When it happened (approx 2 weeks ago) I was on the lateset FW at the time.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
OK, this is what must have been happening to A Prophet Blu-ray -- we were seeing like one subtitle for every 5 lines of dialog -- probably getting stuff that was higher up on the screen...

There was a firmware upgrade to allow you to hold down the subtitle button and then adjust how they are displayed by pressing the direction controls to move them up higher on the screen.

Does this change stay permanent or do you have to do it for every disc?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks